• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperatures, what do I do?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Ok so I am totally confused, I set up my basking area (being controlled by a dimmer) turned my lights on and put two probe thermometers on the basking site, both had completely different readings, so I set up a third and that’s different as well!

one is an aquarium thermometer (it’s a good one)
D90DCB45-5B93-4EB5-9039-CBB1B16D6A53.jpeg
The other two I bought from Amazon so I am less inclined to trust, they are also hygrometers
97DBD454-5E67-4340-BE18-EFBA03C1B697.jpeg5570EEBB-AE4A-4874-B32C-F4294E0CCF69.jpeg
I have used a temp gun which also has a different result.
I really don’t know what to do? I’m thinking trust the more expensive aquarium one and lower the temperature?

Attachments

• 31FDDC47-8D49-441B-8829-6951038DBD1F.jpeg
    31FDDC47-8D49-441B-8829-6951038DBD1F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
By how many degrees are they off? With different textures different readers will get different results, the IR gun doesn’t read well on textures such as hammocks,cloth, anything air can pass through , the ones you just set down or stick on , most of the time just read the ambient air temperature, I personally trust the cheapo probe thermometers , I bought mine from Amazon aswell
image.jpg

Ive used them for years and have found them to be reliable, current brand im using “zacro”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am using a Zoo Med digital probe hygrometer the probe is placed on the back center wall of the tank it will read your whole tank ---- I am using the Zoo Med digital probe thermometers --- I have 4 of them 2 for each tank - one cool side one in the middle of the tank as I am monitoring that second basking spot now since summer hit and I dont want that middle of tank too hot -- they are pretty reliable to me --- I would think the one you have in the plastic bin is reading correctly -- you need to go w/ the digital probes for most accurate and I agree w/ Skybug your going to get different temps off of certain areas its sitting on - if they are on the same spot or area your gonna get close to the degrees

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
By how many degrees are they off? With different textures different readers will get different results, the IR gun doesn’t read well on textures such as hammocks,cloth, anything air can pass through , the ones you just set down or stick on , most of the time just read the ambient air temperature, I personally trust the cheapo probe thermometers , I bought mine from Amazon aswell View attachment 27699
Ive used them for years and have found them to be reliable, current brand im using “zacro”
The one you have in the plastic tub I used previously for my aquariums but found the one I have now more accurate, maybe it’s because it’s in water idk!
I have placed both very close together and I’m getting about .5c difference now so I’m happy with that, my probe for the dimmer is floating just behind the basking spot that it’s controlling. I’m going to have a play over the next few hours and see what I get and go from there.

I may not finish my background in time so would it be a problem if it’s added just before my beardie turns up or will that affect temps? It’s a foam, grout background type.

thanks both of you for your advice x

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The one you have in the plastic tub I used previously for my aquariums but found the one I have now more accurate, maybe it’s because it’s in water idk!
I have placed both very close together and I’m getting about .5c difference now so I’m happy with that, my probe for the dimmer is floating just behind the basking spot that it’s controlling. I’m going to have a play over the next few hours and see what I get and go from there.

I may not finish my background in time so would it be a problem if it’s added just before my beardie turns up or will that affect temps? It’s a foam, grout background type.

I think it might affect the temps (but only a little, cause the background might hold heat differently than the current one) but i dont think it’ll be an issue though, as long as u have a good gradient ur beardie will move to where its most comfortable :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

It's not going to effect the probe temp- it would effect the ambient temp- that's why we recommend the probe it's getting the actual temp of where he's sitting and not ambient temp

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
So if I place the probe where he lays won’t him laying on it cause it to read wrong?or should it be on the wood next to where he’s going to lay and what if he lays on it anyway? Sorry just trying to make sense in my head.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Should it be on the wood, so laying on it? the instructions said the probe should not be closer than 9inches to the heat source so if I place it on the wood where he would be laying it would be too close.

Atm the thermometer probe is reading 114f directly under the bulb and the dimmer probe is attached to the wood (circled in red on pic) or I could place where I have put a green line but it will be closer than the nine inches that the manufacturer recommends. I haven’t fitted lamp guards yet ;).
F1E441CC-458A-49B9-9E57-26EE351B486A.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It looks okay to me , but u kinda want the probe to be directly in the fulcrum (directly in the middle of the bulb, underneath it) (and leave it there for 10-20 minutes after ur lights have been on for 2+hrs)(thatll give u ur hottest temp) i cant keep probes in my bearded dragons enclosure (she tries to eat them, and their ugly) for a baby its important the temps be right on, and you dont Necessarily need to keep them in there as long as you know that your temperatures aren’t fluctuating, you’re gonna have to play with them a little. Till u find whats best

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If ur confused , (cause i shure am lol) one probe directly in the hottest part of the basking spot, one reading in the middle of the enclosure, and one reading in the coldest spot of the enclosure, you want 2-3 hides one for the hot area one for the cold area.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry I won’t be leaving the thermometer probes there I was going to move them back once I have the correct basking temp it’s more the dimmer probe I’m confused about, is it okay where it is?or should it be against the wood, all seems to be working correctly!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s the probe circled in red on my pic.
You dont want temps of 114 its too hot --- you need it to be at the hottest 110- I would either lower the wood or raise the bulb --- its going to be trial and error w/ the bulb and position - you do not need to leave the digital temp probe on the wood - but the dimmer your going to need to - the dimmer is for dimming the bulb correct ? You can get dimmers w/ temp settings so you can set the temp of what you want it to be so it shuts the bulb off I believe I am not sure how they work -- I dont use them -- I just do everything manually --

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
You dont want temps of 114 its too hot --- you need it to be at the hottest 110- I would either lower the wood or raise the bulb --- its going to be trial and error w/ the bulb and position - you do not need to leave the digital temp probe on the wood - but the dimmer your going to need to - the dimmer is for dimming the bulb correct ? You can get dimmers w/ temp settings so you can set the temp of what you want it to be so it shuts the bulb off I believe I am not sure how they work -- I dont use them -- I just do everything manually --
I can turn the dimmer down, that not a problem the heat is adjusted as you say, I just wanted to check the placement of the probe.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
So my beardie can move away from the heat down the wood to find correct temp, what temp should the area directly below the bulb be for a baby beardie?

Latest posts