• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tail rot? Glass Surfing? Deformed toes?? Please help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok i know about dubia roaches my big concern here is the live arrivial. I live in an extremely cold place so im worried if they will stay alive
Have them hold at the post office- call your local post office tell them to hold - look and see when you order if there is a option for holding usually the box says live insects

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm guessing that since you said Exoterra and 150-160W, it's the 160W ExoTerra Solar Glo.

Ok so you need to get rid of that bulb -- they are one of the worst -- they are known for causing eye issues -- if you want to stay w/ the MVB get a Mega Ray or a Power Sun -- what size is the tank ? I need to check w/ some people that use this bulb for wattage and distance

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Yes! Thats it :)
Food-wise, I recommend you ask your parents to order you some live black soldier fly larvae. They were commercialized as Phoenix worms and Calciworms but both are really very expensive. To save money, I like this site:

1,000 for $18 delivered. It's more affordable than buying crickets/mealworms/superworms by the cup or dozen count at the pet store. And if you really wanna try to kick up the savings, get a small cat food bowl from Dollar Tree or just a peanut butter jar cap and fill it up with dried black soldier fly larvae and throw in some live ones. Chances are your beardie will eat both because it can't tell what's moving and what's not. It will save you a lot of money because dried ones are $7 for 15,000 (https://www.amazon.com/FlukerS-15000-Dried-Soldier-Chicken/dp/B075D1CGJ7/ref=sr_1_32?crid=WHFTTXENAP9P&dchild=1&keywords=black+soldier+fly+larvae+dried&qid=1609183246&sprefix=black+soldie,aps,181&sr=8-32).

With that, you'll only need Herptivite because black soldier fly larvae contain all the calcium you need.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
The tank is a 40 gallon, 36 inches by 18. I'll try to get rid of the bulb when i have the money. She seems happy and doesnt close her eyes when basking so i thought the bulb wasnt hurting her eyes

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Food-wise, I recommend you ask your parents to get you a little money so you can get the black soldier fly larvae. They were commercialized as Phoenix worms and Calciworms but both are really very expensive. To save money, I like this site:

1,000 for $18 delivered. It's more affordable than buying crickets/mealworms/superworms by the cup or dozen count at the pet store. And if you really wanna try to kick up the savings, get a small cat food bowl from Dollar Tree or just a peanut butter jar cap and fill it up with dried black soldier fly larvae and throw in some live ones. Chances are your beardie will eat both because it can't tell what's moving and what's not. It will save you a lot of money because dried ones are $7 for 15,000 (https://www.amazon.com/FlukerS-15000-Dried-Soldier-Chicken/dp/B075D1CGJ7/ref=sr_1_32?crid=WHFTTXENAP9P&dchild=1&keywords=black+soldier+fly+larvae+dried&qid=1609183246&sprefix=black+soldie,aps,181&sr=8-32).

With that, you'll only need Herptivite because black soldier fly larvae contain all the calcium you need.
Ok ill try some of those :) I have a vivicator that kinda shakes dead bugs so the reptile eats it so ill try that and ima try dubia's also

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tank is a 40 gallon, 36 inches by 18. I'll try to get rid of the bulb when i have the money. She seems happy and doesnt close her eyes when basking so i thought the bulb wasnt hurting her eyes
They are known to cause eye issues --- here is the response I got from the person that uses them
The 100w should be at around 12'' above the main basking area for both models. Best not to have a mesh screen in between. If there is a mesh screen, then moving up to a higher wattage (160w I believe in both cases) and slightly raising the distance to maybe 14-16'' or so would be good. I don't have one of the higher wattage models to test though.
This is for the Mega Ray and the Power Sun --- please replace as soon as you can

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Ok ill try some of those :) I have a vivicator that kinda shakes dead bugs so the reptile eats it so ill try that and ima try dubia's also
OK, just know that with bearded dragons, if you don't breed your own dubias (it generally takes a year to establish a Dubia colony that can be fed off generously without harming the population), it can be very expensive to feed your beardie on purchased ones. I recommend buying an established colony on Craigslist if you can find one, which may be about $80-$100. You'll need a heat mat to keep their temps at 90 degrees or they stop breeding. Sounds kinda expensive but with a large colony and 1 beardie, you may never have to buy live feeders again as long as you keep the colony warm and fed with veggie scraps/throw aways and some kind of protein like the cheapest dogfood kibbles. You will need to dust them with both calcium (with D3) and herptivite, though.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
OK :) I'll try when i have the money thanks, now is her tail alright? Or does it need to be treated

Attachments

• DSCF0210 (2).JPG
    DSCF0210 (2).JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 6

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
OK :) I'll try when i have the money thanks, now is her tail alright? Or does it need to be treated
Tail and toes look fine but I hope the pet store discounted you heavily for such big nips...

I know if a breeder took his extras to the pet store to sell, they generally won't take a beardie in that condition. If they do, maybe they'll pay $5.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
They didnt discount me i had to pay 99 for the gal
That's screwed up; probably all you had to do was ask. Even at big ticket stores like Petco, the manager discounts animals if you find anything irregular about them. If someone sold my 12 year old son a badly nipped beardie for $99, I'd go have a talk with them about taking advantage of kids and I probably won't go home empty-handed.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
Haha yeah it is pretty messed up im 2 years older than your son and i saved up forever to get my gal, I love her no matter what but i was kinda mad about the price after finding out about her toes at home

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Haha yeah it is pretty messed up im 2 years older than your son and i saved up forever to get my gal, I love her no matter what but i was kinda mad about the price after finding out about her toes at home
Oh, I don't have a kid yet. I was speaking hypothetically. That's the right attitude. Nipped dragons need love too; they don't deserve to be neglected and condemned to a short life of being unwanted everywhere all for some injury they sustained as babies. Good luck with her!

Latest posts