• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen and white back middle toe

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok… so I went ahead and took my Charlie to the vet because after over a week of soaking the swelling in his toe just wouldn’t go down. The shed did come off of the toe tho. X-ray revealed his toe is broken. I feel so horrible. I thought I had thought of everything and everything to be safe in his enclosure. But I overlooked the crack in the top of the hide which I built him. I believe that he must’ve gotten his little toe caught in that crack without me realizing it before it was too late. I have, of course, fixed that! She let the head of the reptile department at LSU Veterinarian School in New Orleans take a look at the X-rays for his opinion. He suggested getting a CBC done to make sure he is cleared of any infection…. Which is what we did. He also said that splinting would be more stressful than allowing it to heal on its own. The X-ray also showed that at the very top of his tail a couple of bones looked a bit zigzaged. Results from CBC should be in any day and will determine if any antibiotics are needed. He is in shed in one of his other feet now. Do you think this is the reason that his appetite has declined over the past few days? He would eat as many superworms and hornworms as I would give him but I don’t allow him to have many at all but the ones I do give him I always dust. He has refused dubias for several months now ( I offer them daily). He was eating crickets at least 3 times a week which I dusted with calcium and calcium with D and multivitamins as I’ve been told to do. I have always put greens topped with BSFL everyday since I’ve had him. Up until about 2 weeks ago he ate his salad fairly good but now he doesn’t want it. I do see him pick out the BSFL from the salad. If I sit a BSFL in front of him one by one he will gobble them up. I will do this daily but how many of them should a 1 year old, 565gram dragon eat eat a day? He usually stops after he’s eaten about 20 or so. Is this enough for him to be getting what he needs. He absolutely will not chase any bugs. I always put them in there for him

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok… so I went ahead and took my Charlie to the vet because after over a week of soaking the swelling in his toe just wouldn’t go down. The shed did come off of the toe tho. X-ray revealed his toe is broken. I feel so horrible. I thought I had thought of everything and everything to be safe in his enclosure. But I overlooked the crack in the top of the hide which I built him. I believe that he must’ve gotten his little toe caught in that crack without me realizing it before it was too late. I have, of course, fixed that! She let the head of the reptile department at LSU Veterinarian School in New Orleans take a look at the X-rays for his opinion. He suggested getting a CBC done to make sure he is cleared of any infection…. Which is what we did. He also said that splinting would be more stressful than allowing it to heal on its own. The X-ray also showed that at the very top of his tail a couple of bones looked a bit zigzaged. Results from CBC should be in any day and will determine if any antibiotics are needed. He is in shed in one of his other feet now. Do you think this is the reason that his appetite has declined over the past few days? He would eat as many superworms and hornworms as I would give him but I don’t allow him to have many at all but the ones I do give him I always dust. He has refused dubias for several months now ( I offer them daily). He was eating crickets at least 3 times a week which I dusted with calcium and calcium with D and multivitamins as I’ve been told to do. I have always put greens topped with BSFL everyday since I’ve had him. Up until about 2 weeks ago he ate his salad fairly good but now he doesn’t want it. I do see him pick out the BSFL from the salad. If I sit a BSFL in front of him one by one he will gobble them up. I will do this daily but how many of them should a 1 year old, 565gram dragon eat eat a day? He usually stops after he’s eaten about 20 or so. Is this enough for him to be getting what he needs. He absolutely will not chase any bugs. I always put them in there for him
What is normal behavior concerning eating for a male this age? Do I need to change substrate? Do I need to provide a dig box? Please advise

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow poor guy - he's not sporting a black beard is he? That would indicate pain- he's eating and stopping at 20 he must be full- sounds like he's tired of roaches - the bsfl are a staple but 20 is not alot- try crickets again and maybe some silk worms- silks are another staple- keep offering him his salads- maybe mix it up something different - argula or dandelion greens -

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Wow poor guy - he's not sporting a black beard is he? That would indicate pain- he's eating and stopping at 20 he must be full- sounds like he's tired of roaches - the bsfl are a staple but 20 is not alot- try crickets again and maybe some silk worms- silks are another staple- keep offering him his salads- maybe mix it up something different - argula or dandelion greens -
No he has not black bearded at all… not once ever. In fact when the doc moved his toe around he did whence at all. I offer crickets daily even if he doesn’t touch them they are always there. I have ordered silkworms many many times and all but one time did I get any that were even big enough to see or that they weren’t all dead. I finally quit ordering because it was wasting money. I’m in a very small town. The nearest place to buy anything is over an hour away and the only thing they carry is superworms, mealworms and wax worms. Up until a week or so ago the only greens he would eat were turnips… so I thought maybe he’s tired of turnips. So today I put some mustard and collard greens in his bowl… topped off with the BFSL. Well, he just passed it by … didn’t touch it. I have actually grown him some dandelions in pots in my house and I do offer those green leaves to him. He was eating them until now. I have not seen the argula here but I will look else where. He is just so so so very very laid back!… wherever he lands after he warms up in the morning is where he stays until i move him! He is always awake and alert… never just sleeps. I know these guys are not very active. My temps are just as they should be… I tweaked them to 85 on cool… 90 in the middle… hot side 95… basking surface 98-100. He typically moves from morning basking to his upper ledge on the cool side. Humidity is always 30-40…. Usually about 35-38. He has stuff all inside his enclosure to climb and what I assumed to be good enrichment. I’m just now waiting to see what cbc shows and praying if it shows anything that we can treat with antibiotics. He poops every few days and they are normal… normal by the standards of all I read. Am I missing something?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No he has not black bearded at all… not once ever. In fact when the doc moved his toe around he did whence at all. I offer crickets daily even if he doesn’t touch them they are always there. I have ordered silkworms many many times and all but one time did I get any that were even big enough to see or that they weren’t all dead. I finally quit ordering because it was wasting money. I’m in a very small town. The nearest place to buy anything is over an hour away and the only thing they carry is superworms, mealworms and wax worms. Up until a week or so ago the only greens he would eat were turnips… so I thought maybe he’s tired of turnips. So today I put some mustard and collard greens in his bowl… topped off with the BFSL. Well, he just passed it by … didn’t touch it. I have actually grown him some dandelions in pots in my house and I do offer those green leaves to him. He was eating them until now. I have not seen the argula here but I will look else where. He is just so so so very very laid back!… wherever he lands after he warms up in the morning is where he stays until i move him! He is always awake and alert… never just sleeps. I know these guys are not very active. My temps are just as they should be… I tweaked them to 85 on cool… 90 in the middle… hot side 95… basking surface 98-100. He typically moves from morning basking to his upper ledge on the cool side. Humidity is always 30-40…. Usually about 35-38. He has stuff all inside his enclosure to climb and what I assumed to be good enrichment. I’m just now waiting to see what cbc shows and praying if it shows anything that we can treat with antibiotics. He poops every few days and they are normal… normal by the standards of all I read. Am I missing something?
Did you adjust the uvb closer to him? 18 inches is to far- keep track of his weight- kitchen food scale weigh in grams please-- you can feed dandelion yellow flowers too- temps sound good- where are you getting your insects?

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Did you adjust the uvb closer to him? 18 inches is to far- keep track of his weight- kitchen food scale weigh in grams please-- you can feed dandelion yellow flowers too- temps sound good- where are you getting your insects?
Yes… uvb replaced a few weeks ago (old one was 6 months old). But I’m not taking chances. Distance from uvb to top rock is right at 15 inches. Yes I weigh him weekly. I bought a scale from Amazon which was listed under scales for beardies. He has never lost any weight since he came to me at 4 months. He was 230 grams …(I think that is right)… Tuesday he’s 565 grams. I’ve tried offering yellow dandelion flowers but he looks the other way). I get my BFSL from Symton…..my dubias from Dubia.com. I ordered silks several times from Reptillian Arts but.. first time were perfect but from there on out they’ve arrived way to small ( I mean like 1/8 of an inch). Crickets from Josh’s frogs. I was getting hornworms and superworms from hornworm. Com but the last 2 times I got them every single worm was dead!… they made good on my order by sending my worms again which at that time were good

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes… uvb replaced a few weeks ago (old one was 6 months old). But I’m not taking chances. Distance from uvb to top rock is right at 15 inches. Yes I weigh him weekly. I bought a scale from Amazon which was listed under scales for beardies. He has never lost any weight since he came to me at 4 months. He was 230 grams …(I think that is right)… Tuesday he’s 565 grams. I’ve tried offering yellow dandelion flowers but he looks the other way). I get my BFSL from Symton…..my dubias from Dubia.com. I ordered silks several times from Reptillian Arts but.. first time were perfect but from there on out they’ve arrived way to small ( I mean like 1/8 of an inch). Crickets from Josh’s frogs. I was getting hornworms and superworms from hornworm. Com but the last 2 times I got them every single worm was dead!… they made good on my order by sending my worms again which at that time were good
Ok sounds good - the hornworms from dubiaroaches are nice - the best super worms I have found are from flukers- big and fat-

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok sounds good - the hornworms from dubiaroaches are nice - the best super worms I have found are from flukers- big and fat-
Ok… I will try Flukers. Any ideas on the silkworms? Vet just called about results of CBC and all looks good. She also it to the LSU vet school for a second opinion and the doc there says all looks great as far as blood goes. Suggested watching him and bringing in for another check on everything in a month. I will do that for sure. Do you think I should add him a dig box for more enrichment? He’s really not wanting greens right now… but last week and before ge

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok… I will try Flukers. Any ideas on the silkworms? Vet just called about results of CBC and all looks good. She also it to the LSU vet school for a second opinion and the doc there says all looks great as far as blood goes. Suggested watching him and bringing in for another check on everything in a month. I will do that for sure. Do you think I should add him a dig box for more enrichment? He’s really not wanting greens right now… but last week and before he was eating greens fairly good. I’ve put some mustard and collard greens today…but he is steadily going weight. I suppose this is normal from time to time?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Silk worms can be ordered from www.reptialianarts.com I have not ordered from them for quite awhile - you can try www.coastalsilkworms.com - they have east and west coast - https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/silkworms
shipping on this stuff is terrible -- best place for the hornworms is dubiaroaches.com
you will need a plastic container w/ holes in the lid -- and you will need bran to feed -- use carrots for hydration -
you can add a dig box for him - its up to you - use play sand and some potting soil that has nothing in it -- just the soil -- hes gaining weight or losing it?

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Charlie is a year old, eats well, poops normal. He is housed in a 72x24x24 wooden enclosure. Lighting: Reptisun 10.0 T5 mounted inside 3/4 length. Basking decor is 15-18 inches from uvb and heat bulbs (bright light basking bulbs). Humidity stays 30-40% always. Basking side 94-96… cool side approximately 85…. Overall 90-91. Question: woke him this morning to a white, swollen back right middle toe. He eats greens, crickets, BSFL, and worms. All dusted with calcium d3/3 times weekly and calcium without d3 and vitamins 2xweekly. Attached photo
He's shedding and it's perfectly normal

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Silk worms can be ordered from www.reptialianarts.com I have not ordered from them for quite awhile - you can try www.coastalsilkworms.com - they have east and west coast - https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/silkworms
shipping on this stuff is terrible -- best place for the hornworms is dubiaroaches.com
you will need a plastic container w/ holes in the lid -- and you will need bran to feed -- use carrots for hydration -
you can add a dig box for him - its up to you - use play sand and some potting soil that has nothing in it -- just the soil -- hes gaining weight or losing it?
Thank you. I am about to place orders from these places now. He is steadily gaining weight. I weigh him every 3-4 days to keep a watch and he’s never lost any weight. He’s not gaining as much as fast as he was but he always gains a bit