• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Swollen and white back middle toe

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Charlie is a year old, eats well, poops normal. He is housed in a 72x24x24 wooden enclosure. Lighting: Reptisun 10.0 T5 mounted inside 3/4 length. Basking decor is 15-18 inches from uvb and heat bulbs (bright light basking bulbs). Humidity stays 30-40% always. Basking side 94-96… cool side approximately 85…. Overall 90-91. Question: woke him this morning to a white, swollen back right middle toe. He eats greens, crickets, BSFL, and worms. All dusted with calcium d3/3 times weekly and calcium without d3 and vitamins 2xweekly. Attached photo

Attachments

• 19066D3F-2937-4FE9-9329-33590E05BB92.jpeg
    19066D3F-2937-4FE9-9329-33590E05BB92.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 9141929C-4483-4BBE-8CAE-72B2896C0571.jpeg
    9141929C-4483-4BBE-8CAE-72B2896C0571.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Charlie is a year old, eats well, poops normal. He is housed in a 72x24x24 wooden enclosure. Lighting: Reptisun 10.0 T5 mounted inside 3/4 length. Basking decor is 15-18 inches from uvb and heat bulbs (bright light basking bulbs). Humidity stays 30-40% always. Basking side 94-96… cool side approximately 85…. Overall 90-91. Question: woke him this morning to a white, swollen back right middle toe. He eats greens, crickets, BSFL, and worms. All dusted with calcium d3/3 times weekly and calcium without d3 and vitamins 2xweekly. Attached photo
I would adjust your UVB to no more than 15 inches -- the foot looks like its shedding which would cause swelling but I need to ask as well is there a hammock in the tank? Often times they get nails stuck in the mesh if its mesh recommended a cloth or a fleece hammock -- www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com which would cause swelling -

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
I would adjust your UVB to no more than 15 inches -- the foot looks like its shedding which would cause swelling but I need to ask as well is there a hammock in the tank? Often times they get nails stuck in the mesh if its mesh recommended a cloth or a fleece hammock -- www.etsy.com or www.pamperedbeardies.com which would cause swelling -
He does have a hammock but it’s cloth not mesh. I’ve actually never seen him in it. I can’t see a thing in his enclosure which could hurt him. I did speak with my vet and she said it could be stuck shed from his last shed. She advised a 15 min warm soak daily for a few days. If no better then I’ll take him for a check. I will adjust my distance. It doesn’t seem to bother him when I touch it unless I’m just not sure what signs to look for

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He does have a hammock but it’s cloth not mesh. I’ve actually never seen him in it. I can’t see a thing in his enclosure which could hurt him. I did speak with my vet and she said it could be stuck shed from his last shed. She advised a 15 min warm soak daily for a few days. If no better then I’ll take him for a check. I will adjust my distance. It doesn’t seem to bother him when I touch it unless I’m just not sure what signs to look for
You want your uvb proper distance- you don't want it out of range that he's not getting adequate uvb - keep an eye on the toe - I too was thinking shed as well and common for them to swell- let it do its thing- turning black would indicate infection

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
You want your uvb proper distance- you don't want it out of range that he's not getting adequate uvb - keep an eye on the toe - I too was thinking shed as well and common for them to swell- let it do its thing- turning black would indicate infection
Thank you. Since I only noticed this yesterday I have only soaked it once. So, I will continue with this. This morning seems that there is a bit more color (he is orange) toward the nail area but still the white color and swelling at the base. I just replaced my uvb last month although the old one was only 6 months old. I believe my basking distance is correct as well as my temps. But Charlie does not seem to like really high temps. As I watch him throughout the day the higher the overall temps get the higher he wants to climb on his back wall on the cool side. But he does spend several hours a day under uvb light just not necessarily directly under the heat bulb. He has 3 different prices of decor placed at different distances under his uvb. He never uses his hides and I’ve never seen him black beard…so I’m assuming this is a good thing? But if this is not considerably better on Thursday then off to the vet we go

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. Since I only noticed this yesterday I have only soaked it once. So, I will continue with this. This morning seems that there is a bit more color (he is orange) toward the nail area but still the white color and swelling at the base. I just replaced my uvb last month although the old one was only 6 months old. I believe my basking distance is correct as well as my temps. But Charlie does not seem to like really high temps. As I watch him throughout the day the higher the overall temps get the higher he wants to climb on his back wall on the cool side. But he does spend several hours a day under uvb light just not necessarily directly under the heat bulb. He has 3 different prices of decor placed at different distances under his uvb. He never uses his hides and I’ve never seen him black beard…so I’m assuming this is a good thing? But if this is not considerably better on Thursday then off to the vet we go
It sounds like shed -- if he doesnt like the hot temps most adults do not 95-100 is what is recommended for juvies / adults -- your T 5 does not need to be replaced every 6 months but once a year but I do recommend a month prior to -- but it is up to you -- its good the color is coming back -- I do believe it is the shed causing the swollen toe

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
It sounds like shed -- if he doesnt like the hot temps most adults do not 95-100 is what is recommended for juvies / adults -- your T 5 does not need to be replaced every 6 months but once a year but I do recommend a month prior to -- but it is up to you -- its good the color is coming back -- I do believe it is the shed causing the swollen toe
I thank you very much for advice. My Charlie will be having a 1 year birthday on the 16th so I hate he’s not feeling his best. But let me make sure I’m understanding correctly… the 95-100 is the basking side.. am I right? Temps have confused me from the beginning!… I actually feel dumb! I do keep his hot side no lower than 93 but no higher than 97…. I use a Herpstat thermostat. I keep his overall temp 88-90..although at times it get to 92 so I use a small fan in his room to circulate the air and get it back to 88-90.. I keep his cool side around 85… of course that varies on really hot days here so I bring that temp down by another small fan on that end. Fans are on outside of his enclosure. I can’t really leave the door open to his room because the humidity gets too high. I’m in Louisiana and humidity is 100% daily. I have a pretty large dehumidifier in his room so I can’t regulate temps by opening and closing the door. But humidity is always 30-40%… pretty much 37% through out the day. Please tell me any changes I need to make. I raised his basking decor to be 13 1/2 inches from uvb and heat light. It was at 15 inches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I thank you very much for advice. My Charlie will be having a 1 year birthday on the 16th so I hate he’s not feeling his best. But let me make sure I’m understanding correctly… the 95-100 is the basking side.. am I right? Temps have confused me from the beginning!… I actually feel dumb! I do keep his hot side no lower than 93 but no higher than 97…. I use a Herpstat thermostat. I keep his overall temp 88-90..although at times it get to 92 so I use a small fan in his room to circulate the air and get it back to 88-90.. I keep his cool side around 85… of course that varies on really hot days here so I bring that temp down by another small fan on that end. Fans are on outside of his enclosure. I can’t really leave the door open to his room because the humidity gets too high. I’m in Louisiana and humidity is 100% daily. I have a pretty large dehumidifier in his room so I can’t regulate temps by opening and closing the door. But humidity is always 30-40%… pretty much 37% through out the day. Please tell me any changes I need to make. I raised his basking decor to be 13 1/2 inches from uvb and heat light. It was at 15 inches
95-100 is surface basking temps- what he sits on -- the ambient temp on the hot side should be in the 90's or around 100--- I haft to monitor my temp tanks as my dragons are in a room where the sun comes in during the day and real hot summer days those tanks can heat up pretty good - at that point I am shutting off extra basking bulbs I have on- I have 2 different basking areas one in the middle of the tank by the UVB that is the 90's area and then the hot side where the temps are hotter on his basking decor - they give a gradient temp of where he can pick a spot where he wants to sit for temp--- winter its not a watch all the time thing but summer it is where those bulbs can be shut off if need be - your humidity is good

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
95-100 is surface basking temps- what he sits on -- the ambient temp on the hot side should be in the 90's or around 100--- I haft to monitor my temp tanks as my dragons are in a room where the sun comes in during the day and real hot summer days those tanks can heat up pretty good - at that point I am shutting off extra basking bulbs I have on- I have 2 different basking areas one in the middle of the tank by the UVB that is the 90's area and then the hot side where the temps are hotter on his basking decor - they give a gradient temp of where he can pick a spot where he wants to sit for temp--- winter its not a watch all the time thing but summer it is where those bulbs can be shut off if need be - your humidity is good
Ok.. I do have it right then. Thank you. Yes he has his main basking decor but also another piece a bit further from uvb and not directly under the light. I think I do have that part right at least. Thanks again

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
I hope I’m posting my question in the right place. Still question concerning my little guy’s swollen toe. His toe is no better or any worse than the pic I originally posted. Its been over a week. I am soaking 15 minutes every day. I do see he is starting what looks like shed on the opposite foot on a toe, but that one is not swollen, just turning grayish white as normal shed. Also looks like some shed starting above one eye. I am over an hour from my vet and we are in 100%humidity daily here. I am not sure if I should subject my guy to the humidity for that long. He has slowed down on wanting crickets and salad but would eat as many supers and horns as I’d give him. I only let him have 2 or 3 dly. and I do dust them since he’s not wanting any bugs at this moment. He’s definitely not lost weight… he weighs 561grams as of 2 days ago. Any suggestions as to anything I may try or do I just need to go to the vet despite the humidity??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hope I’m posting my question in the right place. Still question concerning my little guy’s swollen toe. His toe is no better or any worse than the pic I originally posted. Its been over a week. I am soaking 15 minutes every day. I do see he is starting what looks like shed on the opposite foot on a toe, but that one is not swollen, just turning grayish white as normal shed. Also looks like some shed starting above one eye. I am over an hour from my vet and we are in 100%humidity daily here. I am not sure if I should subject my guy to the humidity for that long. He has slowed down on wanting crickets and salad but would eat as many supers and horns as I’d give him. I only let him have 2 or 3 dly. and I do dust them since he’s not wanting any bugs at this moment. He’s definitely not lost weight… he weighs 561grams as of 2 days ago. Any suggestions as to anything I may try or do I just need to go to the vet despite the humidity??
I need someone else to take a look at it - let me get back w/ you

Debbrat057

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks like shedding. Could it have gotten caught on something? You could soak him in tub with warm water to see if it is shedding it will come off also soaking may help if swollen. If doesn't improve contact vet.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Looks like shedding. Could it have gotten caught on something? You could soak him in tub with warm water to see if it is shedding it will come off also soaking may help if swollen. If doesn't improve contact vet.
Yes.. it possible that it could’ve gotten caught between his basking decor… which are large stones with pieces of wood built up to correct distances….. it’s unlikely but of course possible. I have soaked it every day in warm water for the past 6 days. It looks like he does when his shed starts… just swollen at the base. I gently rub it with each soak and it does not seem to hurt him.. I mean, he makes no attempts to move it from me or anything. I’m in Louisiana where we are now at 100% humidity daily…. My vet is over an hour away….. will this hurt my guy? With the drive there, the wait, then the drive home I’d be looking at having him out in this humidity 4-5 hours. How many more days should I wait?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes.. it possible that it could’ve gotten caught between his basking decor… which are large stones with pieces of wood built up to correct distances….. it’s unlikely but of course possible. I have soaked it every day in warm water for the past 6 days. It looks like he does when his shed starts… just swollen at the base. I gently rub it with each soak and it does not seem to hurt him.. I mean, he makes no attempts to move it from me or anything. I’m in Louisiana where we are now at 100% humidity daily…. My vet is over an hour away….. will this hurt my guy? With the drive there, the wait, then the drive home I’d be looking at having him out in this humidity 4-5 hours. How many more days should I wait?
I have some one I want to look at it and see what they say --- what is the humidity in the tank? If its above 70% get a small dehumidifier place it next to the tank -- do you have any water bowls in the tank --- if you want take a sock and fill it w/ rice place in the tank as well -- optimal humidity is 40-50% -- not below 20% and not over 70%

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
I have some one I want to look at it and see what they say --- what is the humidity in the tank? If its above 70% get a small dehumidifier place it next to the tank -- do you have any water bowls in the tank --- if you want take a sock and fill it w/ rice place in the tank as well -- optimal humidity is 40-50% -- not below 20% and not over 70%
Oh no… he has his enclosure in his own room with a large dehumidifier. Humidity in his room is never over 40% and always between 30-40% in his enclosure. It usually runs 38-40% in his enclosure. I’ve never let the humidity above 40%. He doesn’t run around his room freely unless I am right with him…. His room is only his room.. I do get him out several times a day and hold him and watch him as he sits in his window seal… but never is he alone and he’s never been exposed to humidity above 40%. I did have trouble keeping the humidity high enough this past winter.. I was able to keep it at a bit over 20% this past winter. Louisiana has extreme heat with extreme humidity during summer months. I am very diligent about that. I keep his enclosure temps as they should be and his room temp stays in the high 80’s. That’s why I’m wondering if I would be causing him more harm than good by taking him to the vet over an hour away and over an hour back with our outside temps at 100% humidity outside ? Thank you for helping me

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh no… he has his enclosure in his own room with a large dehumidifier. Humidity in his room is never over 40% and always between 30-40% in his enclosure. It usually runs 38-40% in his enclosure. I’ve never let the humidity above 40%. He doesn’t run around his room freely unless I am right with him…. His room is only his room.. I do get him out several times a day and hold him and watch him as he sits in his window seal… but never is he alone and he’s never been exposed to humidity above 40%. I did have trouble keeping the humidity high enough this past winter.. I was able to keep it at a bit over 20% this past winter. Louisiana has extreme heat with extreme humidity during summer months. I am very diligent about that. I keep his enclosure temps as they should be and his room temp stays in the high 80’s. That’s why I’m wondering if I would be causing him more harm than good by taking him to the vet over an hour away and over an hour back with our outside temps at 100% humidity outside ? Thank you for helping me
Ok she got back w/ me and this is what she said

I agree it's just shed. If it is slightly swollen it was probably snagged on the hammock like was already mentioned. It should be fine, just keep an eye on it.
Do be very careful with the heat though, it can be harmful if it gets too hot on the cool side, anything over 85 is too hot for the cool side. The hot side is fine at 95-102 .
Your humidity is good -- 40-50 % is optimal

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok she got back w/ me and this is what she said

I agree it's just shed. If it is slightly swollen it was probably snagged on the hammock like was already mentioned. It should be fine, just keep an eye on it.
Do be very careful with the heat though, it can be harmful if it gets too hot on the cool side, anything over 85 is too hot for the cool side. The hot side is fine at 95-102 .
Your humidity is good -- 40-50 % is optimal
ok.. thank you for getting back. I see shed beginning on the opposite side front foot. That foot is not swollen, just looks like shed starting. I will definitely keep watch on the cool side. Thank you again

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
One more question concerning temp. I keep the overall temp around 88-90. Is that the right overall tank temp for him.. he’s 1 year. Of course there is his basking surface temps and hot side temp….and cool side temp. But is that the correct overall temp (88-90)? I have a temp probe on the basking surface… one hanging on the hot side… one hanging on cool side and another probe hanging in the middle along with the hygrometer

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One more question concerning temp. I keep the overall temp around 88-90. Is that the right overall tank temp for him.. he’s 1 year. Of course there is his basking surface temps and hot side temp….and cool side temp. But is that the correct overall temp (88-90)? I have a temp probe on the basking surface… one hanging on the hot side… one hanging on cool side and another probe hanging in the middle along with the hygrometer
You want 3 temps surface basking temps 95-100-- my ambient temp in that area is 100- middle of tank 90's-- cool side 80's