• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Supplements

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome, looks like every one took care of you. I understand about not taking a baby out. My 10 month old is still to wild to take her outside.

Craiger said:
Your subject matter has been covered pretty well. So I wanted to take this opportunity to officially welcome you to the forum. So.....uh.....*gets a little nervous when starting to sing*.....uh.....Welcome to the Jungle, we've got fun and games. We got everything you want, honey we know the names. We are the people that can find whatever you may need. If you got the money, honey, we got your disease....and other things like that! *runs out of the room embarrassed*

your too funny Craig

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
If Gilligan's getting 3 to 6 hours of natural sunlight a week, he's likely producing enough D3 on his own. I'd use a calcium supplement that didn't have D3 in this case. Not always will you be able to do that, though (think winter), so I'd make sure to have some with D3 to get you through. Rep-Cal is the best I know of. Make sure anything you get is Phosphorus free. I'd recommend Rep-Cal Herptivite as the multi-vitamin. You can get them both at Pet Mountain for a good price.

Hmm I have Zoo Med Reptivite and the ingredients don't list Phosphorus, but in the "Guaranteed Analysis" one part says:

Moisture and Minerals % or PPM Per KG
Phosphorus(min) 10.6% 105,730mg

Does this mean its bad for my beardie?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Craiger said:
If Gilligan's getting 3 to 6 hours of natural sunlight a week, he's likely producing enough D3 on his own. I'd use a calcium supplement that didn't have D3 in this case. Not always will you be able to do that, though (think winter), so I'd make sure to have some with D3 to get you through. Rep-Cal is the best I know of. Make sure anything you get is Phosphorus free. I'd recommend Rep-Cal Herptivite as the multi-vitamin. You can get them both at Pet Mountain for a good price.

Hmm I have Zoo Med Reptivite and the ingredients don't list Phosphorus, but in the "Guaranteed Analysis" one part says:

Moisture and Minerals % or PPM Per KG
Phosphorus(min) 10.6% 105,730mg

Does this mean its bad for my beardie?

Due to the amount of phosphorus in the foods (read: greens, veggies and fruits) our beardies get, we need to be offering supplements that are phosphorus free as phosphorus tends to block calcium conversion. And this could be bad if given too much. It's why many of us don't recommend Zoo Med's Reptivite and any foods that are high in phosphorus. If the foods are offered in moderation, there isn't a problem. But if that food was dusted daily with a supplement containing phosphorus, well....that's another story. I'd suggest switching over as soon as you can. I wouldn't worry too much up to now, but you can make a big difference for his future.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hehe, soo much to learn in reptile care seems I find out a new do or dont every day. Thanks for the info Craig.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Hehe, soo much to learn in reptile care seems I find out a new do or dont every day. Thanks for the info Craig.

It's how we learn, dude! Just imagine how much you'd have to learn on your own if you weren't here. That is, if you've got the fortitude to continue trying things 'til something works. Meaning, buying more beardies as those you failed with die off. Many just give up after the first one or two die.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea, I try to think smarter, not harder. I did an immense amount of research before buying Rex so the little guy would have the best chance possible. I had an iguana die on me so I was determined to get all the facts this time(bear in mind i was around 12 when i got the iguana). A heating rock and some random veggies didnt work out :( . Of course now we have the internet, the information superhighway. Ahh how much simpler it is now to do research and find communities that share your interests!!!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Ahh how much simpler it is now to do research and find communities that share your interests!!!

SO true! I have an iguana....his name is Gandalf. He's around 4.5 feet long and three and a half years old. I got him from Ladyknite. I've had him for a little over 2-1/2 years, now. LOVE him....just with he'd let me hold him.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've heard Iguana's are very trainable, verbal commands, potty training etc. So Gandalf is still kind of skiddish eh? My beardie, Rex, is only a baby but he already scatches on the glass of his viv so he can get a shoulder ride. Maybe a food incentive might encourage Gandalf to enjoy being handled. I heard that is pretty effective in training.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
I've heard Iguana's are very trainable, verbal commands, potty training etc. So Gandalf is still kind of skiddish eh? My beardie, Rex, is only a baby but he already scatches on the glass of his viv so he can get a shoulder ride. Maybe a food incentive might encourage Gandalf to enjoy being handled. I heard that is pretty effective in training.

Been there, done that. Trust me...I've tried everything I know to do. He's always been that way...even before I got him. Just ask Gina (LadyKnite). He was that way when her Dad got him from the people who had to give him up. Two or three weeks later, he was home with me. I've worked with him quite a bit...only he doesn't like being worked with. We've got an agreement, though. I don't pick him up and he'll let me pet him. LOL! Other than that, he's off limits.

Curious boogers, though. He's hilarious to watch when I'm cleaning out his enclosure. ;D

He is potty trained, though. Well, if you call me waiting to see where he goes to the bathroom the most and putting an empty tub in that place. Now, he won't go anywhere but in the tub. Sure makes clean-up a heck of a lot easier. Especially since he releases a tsunami of fluid with his waste and urates! LOL!

*click link--->* Here's a thread on him if you're interested.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So when I put calcium with d3 on my baby beardies food, should it be dusted on every feeding for those 6 days or just one of the days feedings? I was told babys need the supplements on every live feeding(rex gets supplements every feeding and he seems to be fine). Is this true? Because I recently saw another source that said only one feeding a day needs dusting. Darn it this is the frustrating part when I see conflicting statements about beardie care and don't know which way to go.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Over supplementation can be just as dangerous as under supplementing.

You want to give him calcium on her insects 1 feeding per day for 5 days of the week, and multivitamin for one feeding per day for 2 days of the week.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok, he's been getting calcium on almost all his live food, im gonna cut it down to the once a day 5 days per week cycle. this applies to babies im assuming, rex is only a little over a month.

Latest posts