• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Supplements

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi my name is Justus, long time reader first time poster, and new beardie owner. So i have a question regarding food supplements. My beardie's name is Rex and he seems to be doing just fine. I buy bulk pinheads for him/her(juvenile dragon, gender unknown hehe) and Rex eats a lot. Poops pretty often / regular and is very energetic and inquisitive about everything outside the viv. And on rare occasions actually eats some of his salad, hehe. Anyways to get to my question, I've gotten mixed reviews on Beardie supplements and the care sheets tend to be vague on the subject. Right now I am dusting the crix with reptivite with d3 two small feedings a week(rex eats like 4 or 3 times a day). The rest is dusted with repti calcium without d3. Rex has the appropriate uvb lamp as well, reptisun 5.0. Is my supplement adding as described appropriate for my juvenile beardie or should I alter it? I estimate Rex is only around 3 to 4 weeks old but growing fast, has had one full body shed since purchased.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey there Justus,

Use the calcium powder with D3 6 days a week. Do you take Rex outside for some natural sunshine frequently? If you do, then use the one without D3. The day he is not given calcium, he should be getting a vitamin supplement.

And I'd like to add, the Repti-Sun 5.0 is not a high enough uvb output. Beardies need the highest amount of uvb. So, I suggest (and everyone else does too) the Repti-Sun 10.0.

Hope this helps! :)

Oh, and welcome by the way! :D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
00020121.gif
Justice and Rex

Yeah everything youre doing is OK, and Melissa covered the shortcomings.
I also recommend the Reptisun 10 UVB. Just dont buy the compact bulb. Get the tube type that spans the entire enclosure.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you for the quick response :) That definitely clears the matter up. I had been using the 5.0 because it came with my kit. Of course that kit only came with pellet food and a bare bones guide to beardie care, so it seems that these kits don't give you much to work with. Everything I know I've had to research on the internet. The calcium I got with the kit doesnt have D3 so I'm going to have to change that. I don't really want to take Rex out that much right now cuz he's small and kind of rambunctious as they can be at that age. I think more outdoor time is in due order as he mellows out some more. He's calming down more each week, and now I've got it to where he enjoys shoulder rides ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your subject matter has been covered pretty well. So I wanted to take this opportunity to officially welcome you to the forum. So.....uh.....*gets a little nervous when starting to sing*.....uh.....Welcome to the Jungle, we've got fun and games. We got everything you want, honey we know the names. We are the people that can find whatever you may need. If you got the money, honey, we got your disease....and other things like that! *runs out of the room embarrassed*

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
Your subject matter has been covered pretty well. So I wanted to take this opportunity to officially welcome you to the forum. So.....uh.....*gets a little nervous when starting to sing*.....uh.....Welcome to the Jungle, we've got fun and games. We got everything you want, honey we know the names. We are the people that can find whatever you may need. If you got the money, honey, we got your disease....and other things like that! *runs out of the room embarrassed*

*Applauds for Craig! Great song!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
corrine said:
*Applauds for Craig! Great song!

Pogie said:
Insert Quote
Nice song Craig, *giggles*

Thanks guys....I just hope it sounded okay. I couldn't carry a tune if it were given to me in a bucket! LOL!

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you very much for the warm welcome! Btw a big sale is going on at my local Petco 50% off all reptiles. I think Rex might get a new roommate. I'll get some picks up soon.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Rex really doesn't need a room mate. It's not recommended to house beardies together. They could seriously injure or even kill each other in the long run.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Even babies? I thought that was just rival males?

Though babies can be housed together up to a certain age, it isn't recommended. One can start dominating the other without being evident to you. If you can house them separately, that would be the best scenario.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok noted. I have actually heard of the dominance factor before, one waiting to eat until the other is finished etc. and one being smaller as a result of less nourishment. I have two Vivs so that wouldnt be a big deal, just need a new set of lights.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Ok noted. I have actually heard of the dominance factor before, one waiting to eat until the other is finished etc. and one being smaller as a result of less nourishment. I have two Vivs so that wouldnt be a big deal, just need a new set of lights.

Cool beans! 8)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:

Craiger said:
Thanks guys....I just hope it sounded okay. I couldn't carry a tune if it were given to me in a bucket! LOL!

OH CRAIGER.... you crack me up bunches.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome. Looks like everyone covered everything. Just want to add that even babies can get into serious fights due to dominance issues. We have several members who have taken in a baby whose tail was nipped by their bro or sister.

Congrats on your baby. You'll have a blast.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:

I didn't know you could sing. ;D

Welcome Justus85...

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
Use the calcium powder with D3 6 days a week. Do you take Rex outside for some natural sunshine frequently? If you do, then use the one without D3. The day he is not given calcium, he should be getting a vitamin supplement.

I just read this post and found that I have been using the Fluker's Calcium with D3....but I put Gilligan in the window on the outside of the glass and inside the screen 3-5 days a week for 3-6 hours each time.
So....
1. Should I switch to a non-D3 calcium supp.?
2. I have not been giving a vitamin supp. yet, could you please reccomend one or two?

Thanks!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If Gilligan's getting 3 to 6 hours of natural sunlight a week, he's likely producing enough D3 on his own. I'd use a calcium supplement that didn't have D3 in this case. Not always will you be able to do that, though (think winter), so I'd make sure to have some with D3 to get you through. Rep-Cal is the best I know of. Make sure anything you get is Phosphorus free. I'd recommend Rep-Cal Herptivite as the multi-vitamin. You can get them both at Pet Mountain for a good price.

Latest posts