• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Supers...

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Got my shipment of Supers today!!! I ordered 1000 from Petco and got them today!!! They shipped them in one of those cricket boxes. Sure wish I had been at the door when UPS dropped them off!! Wouldda liked to have seen his face. I would have said "OH GOOD!! DINNER" It would have been fun to hear what he had to say to Mike at the end of the day!!! LOL!!

Almost forgot to add. They were $38.00 with SH.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I need to order supers. I am spending a fortune getting them. One day, I just wanted to see how many Magick would eat at a sitting and it was 10. But then she became lazy and wouldn't eat her salad or move so I will not ever let her eat that many again. She is back to 5 supers a day only. I know Jada would eat 10 but after Magick's experience, I won't let her eat more then 5 a day. Semi only eats 2 a day. He's the only one I have to hand feed.

How many do you feed at a time to your crew?

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It depends on the day. But Yo will usually eat 3 at a sitting. Petrie is good for 10-13. I make him stop at that point if he doesn't stop himself and Rainbow is good for 8-10. I have been buying them at the petstore 50 or 70 at a time. They don't last long. I usually give them to them 3 or 4 times a week. Been supplementing with crickets but I don't like giving them to them because they are such nasty creatures. All 3 are eating good lately(knock on wood) Except today because they are all ticked I took the squash away until their poop firms up. Had them all out in the sun for a bit today. I have to be careful of my skin now so can't stay out too long. I need to get Mike to build those enclosures for me so I can put them outside safely for a few hours each day.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi y'all

How big / old must a BD be to eat supers?

P is 9 months tomorrow
Almost 19 inches
Weighs 294 gm

Oh yeah and how many how often for her if she can eat them

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Hi y'all

P is 9 months tomorrow
Almost 19 inches
Weighs 294 gm

I know adults can eat them. Pogie is definitely long enough to eat them. I gave Jada freshly shed ones when she was young just to get her to eat. I know when you start feeding them, you need to only give a couple to see how they digest them.

I feed my adults daily worms but they don't have issues digesting them. It's the only feeder that mine will eat right now unless I get hornworms but those are expensive so those are treats.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx

Will get a small tub next time I go cricket shopping and see how it goes

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
Hi y'all

P is 9 months tomorrow
Almost 19 inches
Weighs 294 gm

Hey Monique,

Pogie can definitely eat them. I've recently started my babies (10 months old & 16-17 inches) on supers. I gave them 3 each, then waited till they pooped. Once they pooped, I gave them 3 more, then waited for another poop. I'm going to keep doing this to ensure they're passing everything.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My computer crashed so now I am in the livingroom standing in front of the TV typing!! (sure hope it's not the hard drive but think it might be. This is a job for SUPER MIKE)

I waited until this AM to feed my guys the new supers!! Wanted them to eat good over night!! Found 8 "freshies" something the Yo Man cannot resist. He ate every last one of them!!! I think that is some kind of record for him!! The others ate good too. Now I'm just waiting to make sure that the soupy poop is all gone!! :D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have hundreds, if not thousands, of supers right now in various stages. ;D

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea!! I was lazy last time I got my big batch. I thought I had plenty while the guys were brumating but they woke up hungry and ate every last one!!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanx

Will get a small tub next time I go cricket shopping and see how it goes

Well I did it. Will see if she eats them LOL. They're big and scary . . . . I can handle crickets, but think I need to find my tweezers cos I'm not touching these *shivers*

Now another few Q's if I may, as I'm a fish out of water now so to speak.

Where do I keep the supers
Do they need certain temps to live
What do I feed them
How often do I feed them

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep them at room temp in some type of grain substrate (wheat bran, corn flakes, oatmeal, chicken mash)
Add carrots for hydration. they'll eat them and their substrate. they're grain eaters.

how old is Pogie?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
9 Months, I think, got her 1 March, guy said she was 5 months then, so figures Id stick to that age.
Shes 18.89 inches (measured on 24 June) and weighed 294gramms on 25 June

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I buy wheat bran by the bulk and use that as substrate. I throw greens in their tub and they eat them. I just found out supers love dandelion greens but they are $3.99 a small bundle here.

I use tongs to pick them up. They are wicked looking and their little feet freak me out. lol

Make sure you put them in something that they can't climb out. They can bite beardies like crickets.

One time I got some supers from a small mom and pop petstore. They put them in a plastic sack inside a paper sack and I sat it on my front seat. Half way home I looked down and had supers climbing the back of the seat. I about died. When I got home I yelled for my husband to come gather them. I think there was 50 or so that we had to hunt and find.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I must be doing something wrong. LOL

Pogie refuses to eat the supers.

As they're really scary for me I tried giving it to her with tweezers. She simply closes her eyes *If I cant see it, it doesn't exist*
Then I tried placing one (with tweezers) on her basking platform so she can catch it herself . . . .
She just looks away, with eyes shut.

Then I thought, she eats crics when I hand feed, so *suck it up woman how bad can it be* and gave it a go . . . . Took the worm between my fingers and lifted, then it squirmed, I screamed and the worm got free flying lessons across the living room and part of the kitchen and I needed a valium. :-\

Then today I put 1 in a glass dish and left it there the whole day (10 hours), even delayed her salad and crics to see if hunger will do the trick.
She sat on her branch for about an hour, staring at this wiggly squiggly thing in the glass dish, then went basking.
Later in the afternoon she jumped off her platform and charged the dish *I thought yeah, here goes* then she ate her salad,
leaned over the worm giving it the stink eye and finished off her rocket.

So . . . . eventually about an hour before lights off tonight I put the poor super back with his mates tonight. LOL

Shes a real fussy one. :mad:

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL! Wait 'til she gets the taste of one. Grin

Yeah, but how do I get her to eat the darn thing . . . . . . Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Put one in today as well. has been in there for 9 hours now. Havent given her crics yet, will do that at 5PM But she hasnt gone near the super. Just ate half of her salad

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Give her time. She'll come around. Personally, I'd hold out on the crics for a couple days. Then offer a super. The movement alone might be enough for her to jump on it. Right now, she knows if she holds out long enough, she'll get the crics.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Personally, I'd hold out on the crics for a couple days.
Awwww that sounds BAD, poor baby.

Well Ive tried now to cut the super in half, smeared the goo over her lips (Gross, gross, gross, gross Yuk, yuk yuk). . . . maybe when she tastes it now shell go eat it. ::)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
Personally, I'd hold out on the crics for a couple days.
Awwww that sounds BAD, poor baby.

You'd be surprised how long they can go without. If she's doing really well and a bit on the heavy side by now, she'd be perfectly fine. I wouldn't do this with a baby, but a healthy juvie/adult would be just fine. In fact, I only feed protein to my adults once or twice a week.

Well Ive tried now to cut the super in half, smeared the goo over her lips (Gross, gross, gross, gross Yuk, yuk yuk). . . . maybe when she tastes it now shell go eat it. ::)

Okay, now that's just gross. :D

Latest posts