• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestions on first custom tank

nitschw

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone. I'm a relatively new bearded dragon owner (got my first one a little less than a year ago). I'm looking to build a new tank for my bearded dragon for the benefit of us both. I want to create something a little more stimulating for her, and easier for me to manage and transport. I was wondering if I could get input from someone with more experience than myself.

Heres my situation:

I live in CT, but I go to school in Boston. My dragon has to be transported with me whenever I come home for breaks, and my apartment at school has a lot of stairs. Currently I have a glass 125 gallon aquarium. the problem is its pretty heavy, especially when its got sand in it. Due to its size and weight, it can be very awkward and kind of nerve racking to transport up and down stairs. I'm looking to build a slightly larger aquarium, but out of wood with a plexiglass front. This should reduce the weight significantly, but theres one concern with this. Does wood trap the smells? For instance, if my dragon decides to use the bathroom as soon as I leave for school in the morning and it sits inside the cage all day, will the wood absorb the smell? If so, is there a way to seal the wood off with some sort of coating?

Additionally, I use sand currently. I used sand because I felt it would simulate a more natural habitat, but I've read that it can cause health problems. It also gets dirty rather fast and its expensive to replace. I've tried repti-carpet but that stuff is a pain to clean too. the only benefit of sand is having a poop scoop. What is the best alternative?

Sorry for the wall of text. I just have a lot of questions.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes wood will hold the smell you can get a plastic enclosure from a show. I will post a link tonight for where to buy them and don't use sand they come fron a more hard packed dirt environment .

tdharris70

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Also if you go to fuanaclassifieds.com they have some good used ones for sale there. :). I thought about making one out of fiberglass, but I haven't worked with it too much and dont know how cost effective it would be.

kathann

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it necessary to have a thermometer or a timer on your lights ?? I have read "yes" to both, especially the timer.
Thanks to ALL your help today, as a new beardie owner, I appreciate it all.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it necessary to have a thermometer or a timer on your lights ?? I have read "yes" to both, especially the timer.
Thanks to ALL your help today, as a new beardie owner, I appreciate it all.
thermometer in tank yes. dragons can overheat and not warm enough can lead to respiratory problems and more. they need proper ambient and baskin temps to keep them healthy and happy:) timers just make it easier on you and keeps things consistant. i turn mine on at 7:00a.m. and of at 9:00 p.m. that is just my preference and is not set in stone

kathann

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Richard
Thank You so much for answering my questions and for ALL your help.

Latest posts