• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stupid cat scratched my Beardie

lusciousdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm sitting watching tv when the dog starts barking like crazy. I check to see what is up. I find my dragon with scratches on his back and a drop of blood in his water bowl. The cat had jumped up into his house and scratched him. I grabbed a clean towel and picked him up. He had major black beard. They are surface scratches and not deep. Lightly bleeding but stopped. He calmed down as I held him in the towel and lightened up on the beard. Nice to know that I give him reassurance when he is scared. I only just got him on Saturday. I held him in the towel while my husband put neosporin on him (without pain reliever, I knew this was safe for reptiles). I'm allergic to the stuff so I can't even hold him now. So should he be fine? I'll keep an eye on him for swelling or change in his behavior. Does anyone know of a good reptile vet near me? I live in Delaware, Ohio. That is north of Columbus. As for the cat, he bite my husband when he picked him up to let him outside. I don't know what the cat's problem is. He has never bothered the tortoise. Now I will have to build covers on top of their homes now. I just hope the dragon will be ok. Im quite fond of him already and I'm just sick to my stomach over it.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
youre doing the right thing. im sorry we havent put together a vet list yet. hopefully soon. ill try to find out for you. when you do get to see a vet, get some silvadene creme and always keep it on hand. its and antibiotic and anti fungil and seals wounds a little better than neosporin.

lusciousdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Falkor is looking good this morning and acting like himself. I can't really even see the scratches now. I think I can only see them because I know where they are and I am looking for them. Here are some photos. There are really only a few red lines showing now and the neosporin is still on him this morning. I left the first 2 photos a little big so you could see him close up. I usually make them smaller for boards. It looks like I am good on reptile vets. There is one in Sunbury which is fairly close to me. I'll write all that info down. Thanks guys!

_DSC0009.jpg

_DSC0010.jpg

_DSC0011.jpg

SxDx1986

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i usually shout out profanity and death threats at my two cats along with a grab to the face whenever they even go near the reptile enclosures lol...the one(Mousse) knows to stay away and is honestly a saint while the one that looks like a long haired bobcat(Frankie) is a little scheming witch.I own two hedgehogs and one day I came out of the shower and noticed Frankie was laying in the ones pen.Luckily neither of them were paying any mind to eachother but it would've been funny to see the cat scram after the hedgehog spiked up on her.The only purpose the cats serve is for security whenever I occasionally drop a cricket out of the feeder keeper-they eat them up..and personally I think it's gross on their behalf.I think if they weren't spoiled they wouldn't act so bad.I've been contemplating bringing the husky inside to regulate them.It's a shame beardies don't have the tempermant and strength of a Tokay when they go into defense mode.I think they'd be able to readily fend off any cat with that mindset of repeatedly chomp first and ask questions later.

lusciousdragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ha yeah if I had a tokay instead of a beardie it would have been the cat bleeding instead. I really don't have experience with dealing with cats trying to hurt my other pets. When I was a kid I had a cat that would sit in the gerbil tank. They would be crawling all over her and standing on her head. She would hold them between her paws and groom them. Lick them and clean them up like they were kittens.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya my tokay will rip things up. He is meen as H&ll. I wont handle him without gloves

Kayley Vinton

Bearded Dragon Egg
So i just had the same experience my roommmates have a cat and some way some how i had gotten into my dragons cage and got him but it was his beard i got home from work at 6AM and he had a tiny litte (looked like a scratch) but had blood on it and now his beard is swollen and black and im super scared and worried about him. I do know he IS eating but im not sure about drinking hes laying around and just so sad looking. Can someone or anyone please help me on what to do for him? He has a vet visit friday but i just wanna make him as comfortable and ohkay as i can

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So i just had the same experience my roommmates have a cat and some way some how i had gotten into my dragons cage and got him but it was his beard i got home from work at 6AM and he had a tiny litte (looked like a scratch) but had blood on it and now his beard is swollen and black and im super scared and worried about him. I do know he IS eating but im not sure about drinking hes laying around and just so sad looking. Can someone or anyone please help me on what to do for him? He has a vet visit friday but i just wanna make him as comfortable and ohkay as i can
How is your dragon doing today?? Poor thing. Keep it as clean as possible. You can dilute some betadine to the color of a weak tea and try and hold a compress of it on his beard..
I would also make steps to making his tank cat proof..

Latest posts