• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Skippy

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
It has been a while since I have a breaded dragon. I just adopted one and Skippy we have named it. He maybe she do know yet. Skippy is young, it is also very underweight I am giving it Fluker's Repta+Boost insective/carnivore and small crickets. It won't eat and greens. I was wondering if there is anything else I can give Skippy? I am thinking he is very sick I am doing my best to help keep it going.please let me know if there anything else I can do. I have set a appointment with my veteran to have Skippy seen for next week. I just want to keep Skippy alive till then. Here is a few pics
20170910_215229.jpg
20170911_124244.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my soo itty bitty!! I have a almost 7 week old but this one is even smaller than my Cooper..
I wouldn't worry about greens at this point. Hydration is the most important, UVB and Basking bulbs, correct temps 107F if not a bit more for this little one my goodness.. Keep up with the slurries for sure just go slowly so not to make him/her aspirate..
Keep us posted on this little one.

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you I will keep you posted. The last 48 hours has been touch and go. The temp is at 80 on the cool side and about 100 on the worm side. It is only in ten gallon at the moment.should I just go down to one light till Skippy is healthy enough to go into its bigger tank?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you I will keep you posted. The last 48 hours has been touch and go. The temp is at 80 on the cool side and about 100 on the worm side. It is only in ten gallon at the moment.should I just go down to one light till Skippy is healthy enough to go into its bigger tank?
No he's soo little the heat is better the way it is

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for your advice much needed. I will try and post new photos and keep you up to date on how Skippy is doing.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When you say go down to one light do you mean you have 2 heat lights? Do you have a UVB bulb?

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a heat and basking bulb is a UVA UVB and also gives off heat. I was afraid that with Skippy in a 10 gallon tank (due to Skippy's size) it would be to hot. Hdrydr31 says the heat is better. I put the basking bulb on a dimmer because when I got home from work the night I posted that message asking is because the tank was way to hot on the cooler side 102.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's hard to get a temp gradient in a 10g tank. If you are using a combined heat and basking bulb, don't use the other heat bulb. MVB bulbs can run hot so make sure the basking spot isn't getting too hot.

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think I have it now the temp is back to being 100 on the basking side and 79 to 80 on the cooler side I put a small wattage bulb in. I didn't realize that the bulb I use for my frogs was a 100 watt. So I went down to a 70 watt and it is keeping the temp stable.

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
On the other hand Skippy is becoming more active and, is now trying to hunt on his own. Still hand feedingfeeding small crickets and the rep boost and soakin. Skippy is is now eating at least 2 1/2 cc every 2 hours.
20170912_123213.jpg
20170912_121525.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His color is WAY better in these pictures!! He looks alert which is fantastic.. The sooner you can get him into a bigger tank the better as yes like Patsy said it's hard to keep a stable temp in them.. I know it's hard when they are soo little I am in the same position as soon as Petco has their $1per gal sale which is Oct mine is getting his 40g breeder tank..

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am doing the best I can with Skippy with not knowing much about underweight and very young breader dragons. My first one was two years old when I get her. And I haven't had one since she passed. I am waiting for the same sale. Just so I know that Skippy is in the right habitat. The ten was just an old tank I had from when I got my tree frogs and was saving up for the one they have now, doing the same for Skippy.

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
Skippy is doing really good. He is now up to 8.5 grams. Starting to hunt on his own now, still sleeping more than I think is normal. But active midday and though out the night. I was able to get his vet visit moved up to tomorrow instead of monday.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Skippy is doing really good. He is now up to 8.5 grams. Starting to hunt on his own now, still sleeping more than I think is normal. But active midday and though out the night. I was able to get his vet visit moved up to tomorrow instead of monday.

wow only 8.5 gr that's itty bitty bitty.. I'm not surprised at the sleeping alot he's soo tiny and has had a rough start it's hard work getting food in him and healing, digesting..Glad you got an earlier appt hope you got a sample for them to test.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He should be sleeping at night, are you turning off all his lights at night?

4life

Bearded Dragon Egg
Skippy before going to the vet today. No I keep the night light for heat. Should I be turning it off so he can rest at night? I don't belive in heat pads or heating rocks.
20170915_122221.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes you want to turn off the lights at night so they can get a cool down, as long as it doesn't get below 65F they are fine and their body needs that time...If it gets colder and as winter comes around you can get a CHE (ceramic heating element) that gives off heat but no light.. They shouldn't have any light of any kind on at night time.. 1. it disturbs them from sleeping as their 3rd eye on top of their head senses shadows and light so they can't really rest as they are on edge in case of a predator.. 2. they need that cool down cycle.

Latest posts