• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick or Parasites?

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!

Chase is looking a little skinny. For about a week now he doesn't seem to be eating. He has never wanted veggies except once I took him outside and he ate some clovers (won't eat a veggie put in his enclosure at all). He used to pounce on crickets and dubias but now seems uninterested in food at all. 80-85 degrees on his cool side 95 to 100 on his warm side. T5 UVB 8" above him. His skin is looking wrinkly and he is looking really skinny.
20210925_202746.jpg
20210925_202629.jpg
20210925_204121.jpg
I'm worried about him. Any thoughts?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone!

Chase is looking a little skinny. For about a week now he doesn't seem to be eating. He has never wanted veggies except once I took him outside and he ate some clovers (won't eat a veggie put in his enclosure at all). He used to pounce on crickets and dubias but now seems uninterested in food at all. 80-85 degrees on his cool side 95 to 100 on his warm side. T5 UVB 8" above him. His skin is looking wrinkly and he is looking really skinny.View attachment 29859View attachment 29860View attachment 29861 I'm worried about him. Any thoughts?
Is the uvb a reptisun 10.0? Those need to be at least 12 inches away. Please change out that substrate, it's not good for him to walk on and can cause impaction. I suggest using a non adhesive shelf liner for flooring, or tile for now. If you want to use loose substrate again in the future when he's a bit older I would suggest a small amount of playsand and coconut coir mix. Only probe thermometers are recommended for measuring temps.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone!

Chase is looking a little skinny. For about a week now he doesn't seem to be eating. He has never wanted veggies except once I took him outside and he ate some clovers (won't eat a veggie put in his enclosure at all). He used to pounce on crickets and dubias but now seems uninterested in food at all. 80-85 degrees on his cool side 95 to 100 on his warm side. T5 UVB 8" above him. His skin is looking wrinkly and he is looking really skinny.View attachment 29859View attachment 29860View attachment 29861 I'm worried about him. Any thoughts?
He looks dehydrated for sure. Try soaking him in water 85-100 degrees Fahrenheit that's up to his knees for 15-20 minutes a few times a week.

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is the uvb a reptisun 10.0? Those need to be at least 12 inches away. Please change out that substrate, it's not good for him to walk on and can cause impaction. I suggest using a non adhesive shelf liner for flooring, or tile for now. If you want to use loose substrate again in the future when he's a bit older I would suggest a small amount of playsand and coconut coir mix. Only probe thermometers are recommended for measuring temps.
Yes it's a Rept 10.0 T5. I was told by my local reptile store that this substrate was ok for him and that it is good for his nails. They have a few beardies of different ages they use this with. Are you sure it's not good? I only put it in yesterday. I do use a probe thermometer you can see pictured in the top right of his enclosure. I move it from one side to other every few days to make sure temps are good.

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks dehydrated for sure. Try soaking him in water 85-100 degrees Fahrenheit that's up to his knees for 15-20 minutes a few times a week.
I have started doing that for a couple days now. Funny thing is he goes to the water and drinks but he just isn't eating. He has pooped though and it seems normal poop.

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have started doing that for a couple days now. Funny thing is he goes to the water and drinks but he just isn't eating. He has pooped though and it seems normal poop.
He also stands tall and has good body movement. Not really understanding what's going on here.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your UVB needs to be UNOBSTRUCTED for a fine screen mesh 12-15 inches for a T 5 bulb directly above a piece of basking decor - if its a wide hole type it can stay on top but ONLY if its a wide hole and then distance would need to ne 8-10 inches directly above him --- this is why hes not eating and yes hes getting skinny --- the substrate I recommend changing it out --- please either use paper towels for now or some textured NON stick adhesive shelf line as recommended above---- your dragon will not eat w/ out proper UVB-- make sure hes hydrated that too will cause not eating --- dragons mainly get their hydration thru salads you can rinse the greens before serving --- and I would recommend ONCE a week baths for now --- hes pretty little and its going to cause stress doing this unless he will start eating his greens -- you can get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order medium for now and feed as many as you want on top of his salads DO NOT dust them --- hand feed him a few before adding to his salads in front of him to lure him to the bowl -- do this first thing in the morning --- then add your staple feeder to the bowl - you will need a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
so the BSFL dont get out

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your UVB needs to be UNOBSTRUCTED for a fine screen mesh 12-15 inches for a T 5 bulb directly above a piece of basking decor - if its a wide hole type it can stay on top but ONLY if its a wide hole and then distance would need to ne 8-10 inches directly above him --- this is why hes not eating and yes hes getting skinny --- the substrate I recommend changing it out --- please either use paper towels for now or some textured NON stick adhesive shelf line as recommended above---- your dragon will not eat w/ out proper UVB-- make sure hes hydrated that too will cause not eating --- dragons mainly get their hydration thru salads you can rinse the greens before serving --- and I would recommend ONCE a week baths for now --- hes pretty little and its going to cause stress doing this unless he will start eating his greens -- you can get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order medium for now and feed as many as you want on top of his salads DO NOT dust them --- hand feed him a few before adding to his salads in front of him to lure him to the bowl -- do this first thing in the morning --- then add your staple feeder to the bowl - you will need a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
so the BSFL dont get out
20210925_211205.jpg
20210925_211227.jpg

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is the screen and the distance. I think I have that right by what you are saying. I also have a T8 that I can put up there to help him get some of the uvb would that be ok?

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Pet shops are usually never good sources of information- if you want to manage his nail growth i suggest putting tile or rock in there. Running on a wooden floor also helps

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Pet shops are usually never good sources of information- if you want to manage his nail growth i suggest putting tile or rock in there. Running on a wooden floor also helps
Not recommending that you put wood as your substrate, I meant it in as letting him run inside your house

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
so the BSFL dont get out
I will also change the substrate out tomorrow.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it's a Rept 10.0 T5. I was told by my local reptile store that this substrate was ok for him and that it is good for his nails. They have a few beardies of different ages they use this with. Are you sure it's not good? I only put it in yesterday. I do use a probe thermometer you can see pictured in the top right of his enclosure. I move it from one side to other every few days to make sure temps are good.
The UVB is crucial for placement - screen will block out 30% of the rays --- please adjust to what it needs to be placed and distance --- this a good reason the dragon is not eating - as far as substrate you dont want him ingesting the substrate and babies lick every thing and are clumsy eaters -- if you want something for the nails I would suggest getting some tile in the tank something w/ texture and something that wont slip --- textured slated ceramic tile - that will keep the nails down -- if you need help w/ getting something to hang in the tank I can post some for you let me know

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB is crucial for placement - screen will block out 30% of the rays --- please adjust to what it needs to be placed and distance --- this a good reason the dragon is not eating - as far as substrate you dont want him ingesting the substrate and babies lick every thing and are clumsy eaters -- if you want something for the nails I would suggest getting some tile in the tank something w/ texture and something that wont slip --- textured slated ceramic tile - that will keep the nails down -- if you need help w/ getting something to hang in the tank I can post some for you let me know
ok the distance needs to be 8-10 inches just saw the pic -- and no you dont need the T 8 in there either the T 5 is good

Jmccoig

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok the distance needs to be 8-10 inches just saw the pic -- and no you dont need the T 8 in there either the T 5 is good
Changed the substrate. All his stuff is being sanitized in a dawn dish soap bath. After I will dry it all and put back in I'll post pics.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Changed the substrate. All his stuff is being sanitized in a dawn dish soap bath. After I will dry it all and put back in I'll post pics.
Dawn is not going to kill parasites you need some F 10 found on Walmart website it's a vet disinfectant concentrate spendy or rescue or zoo meds wipe out

Latest posts