• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sharing my insanity

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Monique!!! You need a better heating system!!! BRRRRR....

But I loved, LOVED your maps!!! : )

Explain to me what black frost is, please.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is so cold in the house. It is now confirmed...I am a spoiled American that can not live without my indoor climate control. It stays between 73-76*F year round

YOURE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY *turns green*

Monique!!! You need a better heating system!!! BRRRRR....

But I loved, LOVED your maps!!! : )

Explain to me what black frost is, please.

LOL, we dont get house heating systems here unfortunately . . . . Our power here is OBSCENELY expensive And I had the heater on for 3 nights and our power bill shot up from 750 to 980 rands..... So blankets and hot water bottles it is.

OK, Black frost . . . . Its when it snows somewhere else and the temps drop below freezing, then winds blow over the icy cold snow and the ice winds (If I can call them that) that blows here (We dont get snow) Burns all your plants till theyre dead, they turn pitch black . . . . hence the BLACK FROST
Its awfull, all my plants look like its been drawn with charcoal..... LOL

This is the definition of Black frost . . . . a frost without snow or rime that is severe enough to blacken vegetation

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OH Monique!! : ( Is there anything else available. Like a wood stove or Kero Heater? It sounds like only the rich can stay warm. How long do your winters last? How do you keep your babies warm? I guess you would try to time your births for the summer months. We are so spoiled in this country. And can you imagine we still find things to complain about? I have some friends who are Missionaries to Scotland and another to the Ukraine. They are disgusted by the amount of consumption and waste in this country. A friend of my daughter is serving somewhere( I am not sure which country right now. I will get back to you on that) in an orphanage. She says the children are so beautiful and you cannot help but love them. But she told of a little boy who got up playing and happy and by the evening he was sick and died the next day. They have no idea why. But some of them had already contracted malaria ad other diseases before they got there to help. They are desperately trying to get the nets and medication they need but for some the help still comes too late. This is something we never worry or even have to think about in this country. Yes....We are VERY fortunate.

And now I am wondering why the fuel bill is so high. What type of heat do you have?

I know..I am very inquisitive. But that's how I learn!! : )

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
can you post a picture of their set up and I can see if I can see any problems with it.

I dont have a picture, but it is a ~15g rubbermaid with tiny holes for air and a piece of plywood with tiny holes for air for the top.
I have cardboard, cut and rinsed potatoes and I throw in a piece of green every other day.
I get no more than a week and usually less from my small crickets.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well in the winter (January - MArch) here (Nova Scotia, Canada) we can get to -20c below and with Wind Chill I have seen it close to -35c. (-4 F to -31 f)

No int he summer (July and August) we can get to 30c with out the humidity to 41c with the humidiity. (86 F to 106F)

Now in the other months we hit every degree in between.

So I guess we have the best of both worlds, no tornado's or earth quakes either, but we are just entering into our hurricane season.

Fliehigh

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
EAGLES said:
staylor said:
can you post a picture of their set up and I can see if I can see any problems with it.

I dont have a picture, but it is a ~15g rubbermaid with tiny holes for air and a piece of plywood with tiny holes for air for the top.
I have cardboard, cut and rinsed potatoes and I throw in a piece of green every other day.
I get no more than a week and usually less from my small crickets.

Ok...I see a few thing that might help.
you need a lot more ventilation. I found that the potatoes for some reason kill my crickets fast. I feed mine collard greens and bok choy only, they get a couple of leafs a day then fed less as the number of crix decreases. The thick stems hold a lot of water so they can get water from there. here are some pictures of my cricket bin to help you see what I am talking about.

100_1239.jpg

100_1238.jpg

to attach the screen, I used hot glue. I would also recommend making the ventilation hole bigger. Another thing that is not in the pictures is I put clear packing tape along the inside of the bin about 4 inches down to keep them from climbing out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OH Monique!! : ( Is there anything else available. Like a wood stove or Kero Heater? It sounds like only the rich can stay warm. How long do your winters last? How do you keep your babies warm? I guess you would try to time your births for the summer months.

And now I am wondering why the fuel bill is so high. What type of heat do you have?

I know..I am very inquisitive. But that's how I learn!! : )

Whoops missed this one.....

Yes we get anthracite/wood stoves . . . but I live i a wood house and am worried it burns to the ground. ;D The other alternative is gas, but GAS prices have just gone up. To burn the gas heater for 3 hours a night makes the bottle last for 1.5 weeks @about R180-00 / $23.70 per refil (Before the price hike) times about 3 for a month. :mad:

We get electricity from ESKOM, the actual usage isnt that bad... but the levies before you even use anything is ridiculous.. R650-00 and no usage yet......

Latest posts