• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roaches

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For those of you who I have talked with a little bit, you know I am scared of roaches. I decided to take the plunge and start a colony of dubias since I will be getting another BD tomorrow. I just ordered 30 of them and it was a lot cheaper than I thought. 30 for $18 with shipping and live arrival guarantee. I know it is going to take some time to get the colony up and running but....I did it(((gross))). I am getting the chills thinking about on Wednesday(((will not ship til monday with 2 day air shipping))) I am going to have 30 roaches in my house.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
youll get used to them though i bet you were the same with crix when you first got them

paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good luck! It's amazing what we do for these little creatures.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I honestly feel, even though they can be offensive mentally and to the touch, you just can't go wrong when you use dubias for a main staple.

I have living testiment to that... in my front room !
Janie

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
egg 80 said:
youll get used to them though i bet you were the same with crix when you first got them

paul

Have to agree. I was really creeped out by bugs when I got into keeping beardies. I have gotten used to them and they don't bother me anymore. Still can't get used to supers or any type of worm for that matter. Good luck with your colony.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
egg 80 said:

paul

Crix have never bothered me, as a kid I would seek them out and see how many I could find, I would also do this with snails, bees and what ever other bug I felt like catching that day. I was a real tomboy. I think my fear of roaches come from a house we lived in when I was 10. We rented a house...it looked like a nice house but we soon found out that the house was INFESTED with roaches and after many visits from the exterminator with weekly sprays and monthly bombings where we had to leave the house for a few hours, bait traps, taking down the wall paper in the kitchen and bathrooms nothing was getting rid of them. Finally we moved out it was so bad and nothing could get it under control. After we moved out the owner went in and gutted the house, cabinets, flooring and some of the dry wall in every room, then had the exterminator come back and bomb it again and had to rebuild the inside. This was the only thing that got rid of them. So there is a little background on my fear of roaches.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The roaches we keep for our reptiles can't hold a candle to the common house roach, also known as German Cockroaches. I swear, those could withstand a nuclear bomb.

Good luck with your new venture. ;D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know they are very different but something like that at a young age tends to make you freak out at the word roaches :-\...I can do this...I can do this...J/K I know it will be ok...anything is better than the stink of those crickets.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just convince yourself that they're beetles. Then all is good! ;D

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
I know they are very different but something like that at a young age tends to make you freak out at the word roaches :-\...I can do this...I can do this...J/K I know it will be ok...anything is better than the stink of those crickets.

Tell ya what, ill send ya a adult hisser that should make dubia look very tiny and non-threatening lol.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
staylor said:

Tell ya what, ill send ya a adult hisser that should make dubia look very tiny and non-threatening lol.

Great idea, Brian! ;D

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL Brian. Those things give me the creeps. i have enough in my house that hisses at me!

Honestly, I understand your hesitancy on roaches. When i first started keeping them, I was the same way. I actually grew a colony for over 2 years before i could ever bring myself to fish them out to feed my animals. And I raise bugs! That whole "roachy" concept kept plaguing me. Ewwwwwwwwww

In all the different species I've raised, the lobsters and the turks were the worst. Both were prone to escape. One crawling across the floor in my reptile room did me in. Dubias I've never had a problem with in years. Except the time I dropped the tub. lol...............had to turn the dragons loose to clean up my mess.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
LOL Brian. Those things give me the creeps. i have enough in my house that hisses at me!

Honestly, I understand your hesitancy on roaches. When i first started keeping them, I was the same way. I actually grew a colony for over 2 years before i could ever bring myself to fish them out to feed my animals. And I raise bugs! That whole "roachy" concept kept plaguing me. Ewwwwwwwwww

In all the different species I've raised, the lobsters and the turks were the worst. Both were prone to escape. One crawling across the floor in my reptile room did me in. Dubias I've never had a problem with in years. Except the time I dropped the tub. lol...............had to turn the dragons loose to clean up my mess.

That is when i would run out of the room screaming

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wonder if the common German roach would make a good feeder.
Im thinking they would be to invasive.

Sorry iffin this is a hijack.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Aside from the "source" issue.........about the same as the turks. Same body content, same amount of chitin.
However........considering their ability to survive nuclear explosions........I don't want them in my house. Somehow, I think RAID would be like a Long Island Iced Tea.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tell ya what, Sandra... you come visit me... I'll show you the roaches... Let one or two crawl over my hand... you watch from a distance...
Oh.. if you bring the kids... don't be surprised if young or old.. wants one...lol
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
don't be surprised if young or old.. wants one...lol

good grief.
People should not WANT roaches. they should have them for reptile food. A pet roach is just "prison like" and weird janie. rofl

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, I've never got the whole "pet roach" thing. LOL!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess growing up on a farm, I had to learn not to play with the "food" lol