• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

roaches

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok i want to start a dubia colony. What do I need to get as far as the bugs?? How many adult pair do i need for 5 lizards?
I'm thinking the $65 kit am i correct or would the other be enough?
190 Mixed Kit With 2 Adult Pairs --- 55.00
260 Mixed Kit With 3 Adult Pairs --- 65.00

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that would depend entirely how soon you wanted to start feeding and how fast you wanted your population to grow.

I wouldn't start with any less than 20 adults. Problem is that most places sell 1 male per 1 female. You just don't need that many males. So you can feed about 1/2 off. The rest you can buy as a growing colony. Most dealers will have them for sale in lots of 100. I'd buy 2 lots, the 20 adults, and feed off 1/2 the adult males when they arrive to larger lizards. After 6 weeks, you should be set for life.

Total cost.........around 80.00

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
would you happen to have a site gina? i'm looking a the roach guy now and i don't see what you're talking about

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i typically run deals with aaron pauling, but i checked his site and it seems he's out of them.
With the roach guy.........what's his prices like? Can you buy breeding pairs of adults?

you might also consider rusty reds. Gex have no size problem with them. smaller roach.....but faster.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
that's his pricing on top and i didn't see any option to buy pairs. i will have to look around and i'll probably ask for more help along the way thank you

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
janie probably has alot of links for roaches. she'll be on later this evening.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
buyroaches.com has anyone heard of them? they seem to have decent prices

BREEDER'S SPECIAL!! - BEST VALUE!!
$84.95
THIS IS A BUYROACHES.COM EXCLUSIVE!
NO-ONE offers a deal like this!
The Breeder's Special kit includes:

•30 Adult Female Dubia
•10 Adult Male Dubia
•200 Mixed Size Blaptica Dubia Orange Spotted Roaches
•1 Pound of Roach Chow
•2 Dry Ounces of Water Crystals
•7 Roach Flats
•1 10" x 10" Screen

is this what I need?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they may be more at theroachguy.com but i trust people i have had a track record with.

i have never heard of buyroaches.com but i have done business with theroachguy.com and he has great quality.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
and you could probably contact Jason about the price you are getting at that other spot and see if he will work with you on getting you a deal.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Corrine... I don't know that link you posted, however, if you were to mention Janie when you email or call to contact Jason, I am sure he will run you a marvelous deal... As for the set up... you can get your own tote, with lid, and some metal screening for windows, and find a local free source for those egg crates... I tend to drop into Waffle house once every two weeks and get what I need. Free.
Jason will also hand pick out more females to males if you ask nicely ;).
Hope this helps you out, lov...
Janie-Roach Queen

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
as far a the amount of roaches tho that's what i need? i'm trying to figure out an exact number so i know what i need to start with

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok... you would need 45-50 adult roaches per week, per adult dragon..
you would need 5-8 large/med roach per adult gecko per week..
If you fed immediately, you would need at least 500 to get you through the first month, with extras left over to breed your colony.
250 for feeders, 250 for breeders.
Call up Jason and get the 300 count mixed with 25 females.. and 10 males adults.
see what that will cost you.
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
45-50 adult roaches per week per adult dragon? that's not a very healthy diet

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah 45-50 seems low. yoyo is a very good eater he eats betwwen 65-80 crix a day plus salad (am i overfeeding?) Princess has slowed down on eating with the cold weather. Chester also is a good eater he eats about 30 crix a day. The new geckos haven't gotten an appetite yet so i'm not really sure what they go through. this is getting very confusing

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Actually feeder roaches are weighted to be at least twice the protein content of crix. The average feeding for adult dragons is 20% protein. So it's actually lower for them. But not for juveniles.
Gex also do not apply to that rule. Gex generally won't eat more than they want.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok i've talked with jason this is what he told me

300 mixed 62.00 shipped
20 adult females 15.00
10 males 2.50
total comes to 79.50
winter shipping optional but recommended extra 3.00 for a total of 82.50

sound about right? is this what i need to get me started?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That sounds right on the mark.. if you can, make the order.. did he regale you about his sore back and feet concerning filling my orders ? lol
Janie

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just placed the order and he threw in winter shipping. also got the chow and crystal combo. have to stop at walmart after work and pick up a tote and start making that. thanks for everyone's help

Latest posts