• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Solarmeter 6.5/Reptisun 10.0

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

I have a young beardie, still a baby, maybe 6-7 inches. I have him/her in a 40 gallon setup at the moment.

Thrive 40 gallon from Petsmart

I am using one of the dome lamps as a heater, with a fluker heat bulb and his/her basking area stays around 110. It's on a thermostat as well. The beardie is eating fine (a bit of an aggressive turd sometimes, but we're getting better), pooping fine, seems normal and healthy.

For UVB I have a Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium Hood 24 Inch with a Zoo Med 2 Pack of T5 HO ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Lamp. . I had watched so many videos about needing a solarmeter, and wanted to do it properly, so I got a Solarmeter Model 6.5R Reptile UV Index Meter.

The question I have is, the solarmeter seems to say that the bulb isn't putting out the UV that it says? To get a reading of let's say 5, I have to be within 7 inches of the lamp. I can wiggle the meter about and it'll fluctuate depending on the angle to the light. The distance the lamp is supposed to be from the beardie is a lot farther isn't it, something like 18-36" inches? I watched a youtube video (wish I could find it) where a guy got the same results. That video was what made me buy a solarmeter to be honest.

This is directly under the lamp, not going through a mesh or anything. I swapped to the other bulb I had ( i got 2 of the 10.0) I'm not using the free 5.0 bulb the fixture came with.

Is my meter bad? My lamp bad? My method for testing bad? I just want to make sure it's setup right and my dragon grows up healthy. Right now it's against the very top of my screen, on the inside. I tried it outside the mesh, but it reads almost nothing that way. I'm so lost. Sorry for all the links, i just figured easier to explain what I had.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

I have a young beardie, still a baby, maybe 6-7 inches. I have him/her in a 40 gallon setup at the moment.

Thrive 40 gallon from Petsmart

I am using one of the dome lamps as a heater, with a fluker heat bulb and his/her basking area stays around 110. It's on a thermostat as well. The beardie is eating fine (a bit of an aggressive turd sometimes, but we're getting better), pooping fine, seems normal and healthy.

For UVB I have a Reptisun T5 Ho Terrarium Hood 24 Inch with a Zoo Med 2 Pack of T5 HO ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Lamp. . I had watched so many videos about needing a solarmeter, and wanted to do it properly, so I got a Solarmeter Model 6.5R Reptile UV Index Meter.

The question I have is, the solarmeter seems to say that the bulb isn't putting out the UV that it says? To get a reading of let's say 5, I have to be within 7 inches of the lamp. I can wiggle the meter about and it'll fluctuate depending on the angle to the light. The distance the lamp is supposed to be from the beardie is a lot farther isn't it, something like 18-36" inches? I watched a youtube video (wish I could find it) where a guy got the same results. That video was what made me buy a solarmeter to be honest.

This is directly under the lamp, not going through a mesh or anything. I swapped to the other bulb I had ( i got 2 of the 10.0) I'm not using the free 5.0 bulb the fixture came with.

Is my meter bad? My lamp bad? My method for testing bad? I just want to make sure it's setup right and my dragon grows up healthy. Right now it's against the very top of my screen, on the inside. I tried it outside the mesh, but it reads almost nothing that way. I'm so lost. Sorry for all the links, i just figured easier to explain what I had.
You got a good solar meter as far as brand --- first place the UVB directly above the basking decor piece next have it 12-15 inches above it get the reading from the meter then -- you want it unobstructed like you have it -- you may have a defective UVB bulb so we want to make sure the distance is correct -- if it reads the same then change out the bulb check that bulb -- if your getting the same reading from that bulb I am guessing the solarmeter is a dud--

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Gonna try a new 9V battery in a bit. Solarmeter came with one, maybe that's the issue. Twelve inches away it barely reads a 0.8 Touching the bulb with it, a 12-13 reading.

Should have a new battery and be home in 2 hours.

I tried it on a coil uvb I had too, 40 touching it, 5 inches away drops to a 5-7 depending on angle

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gonna try a new 9V battery in a bit. Solarmeter came with one, maybe that's the issue. Twelve inches away it barely reads a 0.8 Touching the bulb with it, a 12-13 reading.

Should have a new battery and be home in 2 hours.

I tried it on a coil uvb I had too, 40 touching it, 5 inches away drops to a 5-7 depending on angle
ok please dont use coils -- let me know

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok please dont use coils -- let me know not using any coils, just had the one that came with the enclosure. Figured I'd test it just to see what meter did.
I just had the coil that came with the enclosure, not using it for the dragon. I wanted to test something else, so a diff style bulb and lamp might help me narrow it down I thought.

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok what about the bulbs?
I tested 3 bulbs. Two different 10.0, t5 and one compact fluorescent 10.0 with new battery, it still reads as above, low to nothing unless you get 7 inches away or less.

Looked at Amazon reviews, all the 1 stars had same problem. Here I am past the return window...has to be the meter right? Two different lamp and bulb types, three different bulbs, 12 inches or so unobstructed no reading over 1.0 unless I get way close. Battery replaced just in case, same low numbers.

I feel so dumb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tested 3 bulbs. Two different 10.0, t5 and one compact fluorescent 10.0 with new battery, it still reads as above, low to nothing unless you get 7 inches away or less.

Looked at Amazon reviews, all the 1 stars had same problem. Here I am past the return window...has to be the meter right? Two different lamp and bulb types, three different bulbs, 12 inches or so unobstructed no reading over 1.0 unless I get way close. Battery replaced just in case, same low numbers.

I feel so dumb.
Not your fault -- what was the return window? I got ripped off by a ebay vendor of almost $300 on a solar meter- went thru PayPal fought for months w/ them - company had fictitious shipping receipts- there were red flags on the delivery date etc - never got my account credited so don't feel dumb!

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
30 day return. I got it April 8th. Bought my things along the way before I got bearded. Msy 8th was deadline to return, but I didn't even use it I set everything up the 12th or so I believe.

The video i saw on YouTube, the guy was getting the same low readings on a 10.0 and said compact fluorescent were better. I always heard no, so I stuck with t5. I've just been so paranoid, it didn't seem right.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
30 day return. I got it April 8th. Bought my things along the way before I got bearded. Msy 8th was deadline to return, but I didn't even use it I set everything up the 12th or so I believe.

The video i saw on YouTube, the guy was getting the same low readings on a 10.0 and said compact fluorescent were better. I always heard no, so I stuck with t5. I've just been so paranoid, it didn't seem right.
Contact the seller and the manufacturer -- there must be a warranty on the solar meter find your box go from there -

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Will try to contact them. It came in a plain cardboard box barely big enough to hold it. No logos on it, none of the fergusson zone decals you see on them.

The box was in a plain Amazon envelope, no padding.

Maybe a knockoff?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Will try to contact them. It came in a plain cardboard box barely big enough to hold it. No logos on it, none of the fergusson zone decals you see on them.

The box was in a plain Amazon envelope, no padding.

Maybe a knockoff?
That's what I am thinking- sounds like you got scammed like me- but I don't know for sure- contact the manufacturer they must have a warranty on it-

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
Seller is Amazon.com it looks like.

They offer phone support to help troubleshoot it up to 90 days, but apparently no return. I didn't but the dang warranty they push...ugh

Guess I'll continue the struggle tomorrow morning

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
This was the video I think. He has the same solarmeter and his is reading like mine did. That's one reason I didn;'t think mine was bad when I was setting things up.

It's sometime shortly after the time the video starts at that he reads the T5 bulb. I think I may know a way to replace that solarmeter if they won't replace it voluntarily. I'm not using a CFL, it's just what the T5 read in the video that made me accept my readings.

Of course that voice kept nagging at me.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This was the video I think. He has the same solarmeter and his is reading like mine did. That's one reason I didn;'t think mine was bad when I was setting things up.

It's sometime shortly after the time the video starts at that he reads the T5 bulb. I think I may know a way to replace that solarmeter if they won't replace it voluntarily. I'm not using a CFL, it's just what the T5 read in the video that made me accept my readings.

Of course that voice kept nagging at me.
See if you cant get it replaced -- I am hoping you can --

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
If I can't, is the 6.5 the better or a 6.2. I know one is UV index and the other UVB. I also saw a Reptizoo 6.2 when I was searching. Could never find any videos or reviews on it though.

Cathairez

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did the product support thing, since I am past the return window. I explained to the lady why I bought it, why I'd had it so long and not called (delivered April 10th). I didn't have beardie til almost a month later.

I explained the irregular readings, the low readings, and what I had tried (multiple bulbs and lamp styles) to troubleshoot it. She couldn't replace it, but is getting me a return. I get an 80% refund. Once they receive the item I was told to call back and they'll refund the other 20% (restocking fee).

Scared to buy another from Amazon now :( , but they had Affirm, so I didn't need to pay all at once. I run a non profit cat shelter (4 acres, long story) so I don't always have a lot lying around to spend.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did the product support thing, since I am past the return window. I explained to the lady why I bought it, why I'd had it so long and not called (delivered April 10th). I didn't have beardie til almost a month later.

I explained the irregular readings, the low readings, and what I had tried (multiple bulbs and lamp styles) to troubleshoot it. She couldn't replace it, but is getting me a return. I get an 80% refund. Once they receive the item I was told to call back and they'll refund the other 20% (restocking fee).

Scared to buy another from Amazon now :( , but they had Affirm, so I didn't need to pay all at once. I run a non profit cat shelter (4 acres, long story) so I don't always have a lot lying around to spend.
Ok well thats good --- hopefully the next one they send will not be a dud -- it is such a pain in the you know what when this happens --