• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pre made dragon food...

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was in the pet store the other day and they have pre made pellets for dragon... Is this stuff any good to just put in a bowl and let them chow? It is apparently already pre mixed with the vitamins etc...

I am trying to find more greens that I can feed on a daily basis, but our stores dont seem to have much... She likes Butternut squash, she LOVES romaine lettuce, but I dont feed her too much, same as carrots.. Broccoli once in a while.. but not sure what else.. I have looked at the link for the food list, but have problems finding stuff like prickly pear here... I picked some alfalfa out of the field for her.. she didnt touch it. And, I have no idea what Endive or Escarole is!

So loves worms and crickets, but we are only feeding her those about twice a week.. she eats squash, should I just give her the same stuff everyday? or mix it up so she doesnt get tired of it?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can use the pellets, as long as you use them as an addition to diet, and not the staple or base.

try to mix the greens a bit.

mustard and squash
turnip greens and butternut
turnip greens and mustard and broccoli pieces

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was thinking that I could put some pellets and crickets in while we were gone for a couple days. My roomate wont even put her hand in the cage lol.

chickory... hmm I will look.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Chicory is the same as endive or escarole (don't remember which one). A lot of times the greens will have different names when you look in the stores. Have you thought about growing your own dandelions? They are pretty simple to work with and I know someone who even grew them indoors during cold winters.

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Can they eat the flowes too or just the leaves? I have dandelions in the yard, and I dont use any spray anywhere either, so I was just going to pick and wash those....

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They can eat the flowers too. Flowers are more of a treat from what I remember but they can be eaten. Mine all devour them.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A caution with harvesting from your yard. If you use any sort of chemical , I would avoid harvesting.. now you can grow 'lions' in a pot, but make sure to dead head the flowers ( if the dragon leaves any that is) before it goes white/to seed.. this way who ever takes care of your yard (and your neighbors) won't be annoyed.
Hope that helps !

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im sorry if this is changing the subject but i have a quick question.

Can you order dandelion seeds or is it safe to pick the white/seed ones and plant them in a pot from outside?

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no chemicals in the yard, and I live rural on 10 acres so neighbors are not a worry lol.. they all have more than me! Manicured lawns and worrying about "lions" are for city slickers. lol I worry about thistles! he he

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'd suggest trying different grocery stores. places like walmart are not the place to go for greens (or ANYTHING in my liberal college opinion :p). just try maybe natural foods stores, or different chains of grocery stores.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I get my greens from Kroger or Meijer (Michigan) and they come in HUGE bunches. I ususally get her collards or mustard greens. She won't eat them but I still offer them. For 89 cents a bunch you can't go wrong.

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The thistles are the ones with the big spike balls on the top that turn purple... The horses actually love them. ouch lol!

As for greens... I will just keep looking, the natural food store has nothing... Save on is one of the bigger stores, but I have not seen anything.. Pancake had a feast of 50 crickets last night so she is good lol

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i wish we had a place like that here in ny. Everything is so over priced. I pay $2.88 for a small bunch of collards.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
corrine said:
i wish we had a place like that here in ny. Everything is so over priced. I pay $2.88 for a small bunch of collards.
wow!!! when i lived in brooklyn the prices for collards wasnt even that high! it is .89 a pound of collards

Latest posts