• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pete's place - does this look ok??

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks

IMG_0207.jpg

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lol - thanks, Im glad his place looks ok
if hes on youtube - someone else put him there because I sure didnt...lol

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Awesome! Just make sure you keep an eye out on those humidity levels as I see you have quite a large water bowl in there.
Also, have you measured the distance from the basking site and the lamp? It looks to be a little bit high from the picture.
Thanks for sharing!

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks for the feedback
do you think my lamp is too far away from the basking log? this is what I have been struggling with all along - where to measure the temps from...
if I measure the temp with the probe right on the log - it is between 115-120 degrees - which I think is a bit high, so I raised the lamp...but then the gauge attached to the back of the tank says about 100-105 - so Im confused by which temp to go by...

I can put a much smaller water bowl it...thanks for the suggestion

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My first reaction was the basking light and UV light. You are right that 115 and 120 are too hot. You can lower the watt to achieve lower temps. It is a guessing game until you have it figured out. I think I read in another thread that you are using the ReptiSun 10.0. Is it the tube?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee -
your first reaction to the lights was what? Am I not using the right lights? Are they too far apart from each other or is the positioning of the lights ok?
I am using the repti-sun 10 - this is the one I have - please let me know if it is the wrong one so I can replace it asap:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3577443

also, I think the basking bulb may be 100 watts - should I go down to say 75?

ugh - so much to learn!
thanks
Steph

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks good.

I would try the 75. If the temps are not right you can always add another lower watt so the 2 lights will get you to the right temps. You could try a 75 and 40 if the 75 is too low. Getting the lights right is the hardest part but once you have that figured out its easy. Also to help brighten the cool side you can add one of those energy saver lights, it will add light but no heat.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
can I get the energy saver bulb at a regular store? and just put it in another fixture like the one Im using for basking?

and if I use a 75 and a 40, that's more than the 100 that Im using so would I turn off the 40 if it started getting too hot in there?

did you happen to look at the link for the repti-sun 10.0 that Im using? Is that one ok?

i agree - this lighting thing has got me crazy!

thanks Sandra!
Steph

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
did you happen to look at the link for the repti-sun 10.0 that Im using? Is that one ok?

I saw the link, I also saw it is a compact bulb. I have read that some of the compacts arent so good. Not sure though which as we dont really have compacts here.

The tubes that span the lenght of the enclosure are the best
Packaging looks like this
ReptiSun10.jpg

Heres a link
http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=521

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok - I will have to order the tube that you suggest as none of the pet supply stores seem to carry it - of course
will he be ok with the compact one that is in there until I can get one delivered?

do I just measure the length of the tank? is there a hood or something to hold the bulb that will span the whole length?
I cant seem to find everything I need...
I again apologize for so many questions...just trying to get everything right...

thanks
Steph

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
do you have a walmart? i went a got a fixture that's 24 inches long for 10 bucks. it's just an undercabinet light fixture that you use in kitchens. you just switch out the bulbs and you're good to go

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
also, i used the same coil you did and it was blinding! once i got the right tube bulbs, my guys were completely different lizards. they're so active now and before they would just laze around. i was seriously thinking of taking them to the vet because i was so worried. but as soon as i changed the lights, wow, they sure perked up.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes you can get the energy saver lights at any regular store, they are the twirly lights. And yes you can just add another fixture like your basking fixture. your right the 75 and 40 would be too much...don't know what is wrong with me lately. Try two 40s or a 40 and a 50. And the lights you are using can be the ones you would use in your lights and do not have to be the expensive reptile ones.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
csjstokes said:
ok so I found just the housing for just the uvb bulb - and that way I can keep the basking light - that I already spent the money on...
let me know if this is ok - and I will order it and the reptisun tube right away so I can get it as quickly as possible!

http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...e=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=522673

+1
If you need a fixture that sits on top of your enclosure that will work.
If you are mounting to the underside of your top than the HD, Lowes or Walmart fixtures for $10 are ideal.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok forgive me but I am getting totally confused and stressed out...let me see if I can ask all my questions at once and end up with a perfect setup

currently I have what is showing in the picture: a basking light and a uv compact bulb
what I need is: a uv tube with a fixture that goes across the length of the tank and another fixture for the cool side with an energy saver bulb just for extra light

my questions:

-does it matter what watt energy saver bulb I get?

-when you say to use two 40s or a 40 and a 50 - are you strictly talking for the basking area?

-when I measure the temp in the basking area by putting the probe on my highest point - it is the log in the picture that is directly under the basking light. Is this where I should be measuring the temp from? because it is right under the light, therefore it is clearly hotter than the gauges on the back of the tank are showing. if I have a basking sight that is higher than the log, but not directly under the light, would I measure from there instead? for example - If I tilt the log against the side of the tank, the highest point would not be directly under the light, but rather against the back of the tank, so would I measure from there?

-how close should the basking light be to the highest basking point? if my temps seemed too hot, I was raising the light - but Im not sure Im supposed to do that...

Again I have to apologize for all of my questions. I am probably over analyzing everything - but that is the way I do things I suppose. I have to thank all of you again for all of your help. I will get this right one of these days! The good news is, Pete seems happy and not stressed like I am :)

Steph

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You don't "need" an extra light fixture on the cool side. As long as the temp is about 85*F. You should measure right under the light. It's ok to raise the light up off the tank as long as basking temps are around 105-110.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hang in there...I know it is stressful and frustrating but I promise you will get it figured out very soon. I was a nervous wreck when I got my first one, it took a couple of weeks to get everything right. Soon this all will be second nature to you.

The energy saver bulb on the cool side is not needed but is good to have for the extra light. these guys like a bright viv. And the watts on this don't really matter, I have a 13(?) watt, equal to a 40 watt regular bulb, on the cool side just for light on one viv but the other viv does not have this light, so once again not needed just nice to have.

the UV light should be a UV tube that goes the length of the viv...ReptiSun 10 is the best.

As for the watt of bulb to use there is no easy answer for that, you will just have to play around with different watts till it is right. I wish this could be an easy answer. As far as using 2 lights over one, that depends on what it takes to get the temps right. One light is easier but if one watt is too hot and a lower watt is too cold then using a second fixture and using 2 different watts is to get the temps right is ok too. I use a 75 watt on both mine.

Take the temp at the place Pete basks. The temps will be different when taken with the probe then the stick on ones on the back of the viv. The stick on ones can be off by up to 20*

Latest posts