• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Number 1 feeder insect

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
im righting this thread because i feel like alot of people ask what is the best feeder. I believe that dubia roaches are buy far the best. Thanks to ABdragons I have a successfully thriving and breeding colony. Back in November i started with 600 mixed dubias and now it is may i have a colony of 10000 dubias in 3 different bins i have my bins listed nymphs, mixed nymphs and adult colony. dubia roaches are by far the best roachs and insect feeders to breed alot of people are scared when they here roachs but they don't sing and cant escape tubs all you need is a dark room heat whater crystals a good vegatable diet and roach chow, a good heat source that reaches 85 to 95 and they will readily breed. be careful of moisture to much moisture will cause mold and mold can take out a colony. unlike other roaches like orange heads that eat alot of protein and tend to wing nip all you need is a bowl filled with water crystals and fruit. never use dog food because it is filled with vitamin A. i know alot of people will try and contradict what i am saying but bearded dragons and other herps can be at harm for too much vitamin A they need beta carotene (i appoligize if i spelled it wrong) instead of vitamin A. you also want to make sure your roachs or whatever insect you maybe breeding get a good balance of protein and greens. especially if your breeding a roach like orange heads. Orange heads are wing biters if they don't get enough protein and they love to drink water. some say they are easy to breed but i would put them in intermediate due to the fact that i have raise them and they are very aggresive roachs i have even seen that when attacked they will use their back legs with pincers attached to get free and they have a fowl odor that may cause your herp to defecate their food back out and discoids can be to large. also lateris roaches can climb and are fast and also are prefered by people that house chameleons.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The only problem with those roaches are that they are illegal in Florida, not sure about any other state. So it's really not the best feeder that I can say for Floridians. I had someone offer to send me some, but I really don't feel like getting in trouble over some roaches, lol.

My favorite feeders are Reptiworms. No shell and all protien, plus they have calcium in them. Not sure if anyone can breed them or not, lol. I loved how I could fill up their bowl with them and my beardies could eat them all day whenever they wanted too. And they couldn't escape ;)

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I can't access roaches either as i'm in the U.K feeding roaches to reptiles is unheard of over here, crickets (brown or black silents) are the main feeder, Willow loves Wax Moth larvae too, which are very similar to repti-worms i believe?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i like the black crickets, they are toucher, die less, stink less, they are the supermen of the cricket world. it has also been said they have more meat and a thinr, easier to digest shell then brown crickets.

roachs still top black crickts but the black crickts are pretty good in my book.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The Black Crix are known to be more aggressive than the brown ones & more likely to bite\feed on the BD particularly if missed or left in the enclosure at night.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
im talking about a commen black cricket known as Gryllus assimilis, found all ovr the place around her.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are also the ones that I am talking about, they are more aggressive than the brown ones, not that they are a bad feeder, they just are

EDIT: Sorry for the 'Brain Fart' & confusion, but I confused the Gryllus Assimilis with another type of cricket, this is apparently a newer species on the market, that I am not even sure whether they are available in Canada yet or not. Thanks Aleena for pointing that out
icon_thumright-1.gif

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Those are also the ones that I am talking about, they are more aggressive than the brown ones, not that they are a bad feeder, they just are
being more aggressive i can take for the pro's i get from them.

what i said was more aimed at spike when he asked if it was a cricket that was illegal in the USA.

so far none have bit me, and i pick them up by hand and hand feed them to Kyuubi, then again they are small ones.

some pet stores have gone to black crickets as they die less.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah it's not a major concern, I didn't mean to make it sound like they are aggressive enough to devour you or your BD :eek: ;) . Any Crickets left in the enclosure over night may nibble on your BD &\or bother it's sleep, just that the black ones may be a little more apt to do it.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah it's not a major concern, I didn't mean to make it sound like they are aggressive enough to devour you or your BD :eek: ;) . Any Crickets left in the enclosure over night may nibble on your BD &\or bother it's sleep, just that the black ones may be a little more apt to do it.
iagreed, i make sure they are all out before lights out, and 10 mins after lights out i check again quick for anymore as crickets come out from hiding once its dark.

the black ones are very energetic thats for sure, hard to catch the little buggers in thir tank.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Got any proof to back that up? Cuz I posted an apologetic statement from what was it... crap I don't remember, but it was one of the bigger online ordering places that swore by black crix not too long ago. I'm gonna have to look that statement back up, aren't I?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You have lost me someplace here? Back what up & what apologetic statement where?

As far as aggression goes, only personal experience.

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
B. Dub! B. Dub! B. Dub!! I'm a roach superfan! freaked me the heck out when I first saw them, now I dig em! I can watch them for hours, they make me LOTS o free food, and my zoo has NEVER been healthier!!

I picked up 2,000 crickets at my local expo two weekends ago and I'm again reminded of why I don't deal with them anymore. However, a few of my cresteds have been chowin on em! My dragons are wondering when I'm going to bring back the roaches. I'm trying to give my colony a couple week break.

Go Roach or Go Home! or something. :)

Latest posts