• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Night time anxiety

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys,

I've had Loki for about two nights now, and every time I turn the lights out he goes crazy running around the sides of his tank, jumping and frantically trying to get out. He's very calm and relaxed during the day when the lights are on, but at night he seems to panic. Is this stress unhealthy enough that it'll become a problem? I don't want him to get overworked. :( I'd try keeping the light on at night, but that would disrupt both the sleeping patterns of me and the lizard. :p

Any suggestions?

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I never had that issue. I usually turn lights out, pick them up and cuddle them and they fall asleep on us and then we lay them in their tanks. I think Jada, our youngest is the only one that will go to sleep if we just turn the lights out. Magick and Semi will get black beards and crane their necks looking for us. lol But we cuddle all three, one at a time until they are asleep. Believe it or not, all of mine love being rocked if they are up by our necks.

I don't think it causes to much stress. Loki just hasn't found the perfect sleeping spot yet. Give him/her a few more days.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, it has only been 2 nights, so they may not understand what is going on. What is your viv setup like? What kind of 'furniture' do you have for them?

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Critter has his own fleece pillow on my bed and when its bed time i lay him on the pillow cover him up to his shoulders in a baby blanket and lay beside him. Almost instantly he falls asleep I give him a little while ( he's passed out! Can move his little legs...lol) and then place him in his tank (and it doesn't wake him up) when I'm ready to close my eyes as well :)

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Adorable night time cuddles sound lovely, but Loki's still at the stage where he runs off if I don't keep my hand over his back. XD

Viv looks like this:

tiledviv.jpg

It's the oddest thing. Not sure why he does it.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lola would do that when she was a baby. We would hear her at like 11 pm jumping and running into the glass... now that she is 2 she usually passes out before lights out.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yoyo did this too when he was a baby. For probably about a week. He eventually settled in and went to bed like a good boy.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Viv looks good. I agree it is probably a baby and relocation stress thing. You may want to consider putting a blanket in there before the nights go out. Not necessary, but Loki may start associating it with lights out.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aw, I'd love to make him a little baby blanket. :3 What materials are best, so his nails won't get caught? Also about how big should it be?

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee beat me to it about the baby blanket. I make all mine out of flannel. Mine love flannel. When mine were babies, I bought them their very own wash cloth that was fluffy. Never had issues with nails. Now all of mine sleep on flannel mattresses that are stuffed and fluffy and covered with matching blankets. I don't wash them, I toss and remake them. I love to sew... Whatever flannel that is left over from making PJ's for the grandkids, the dragons get. ;D

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aw!
My guinea pig sleeps in a re-purposed fleece hat that my boyfriend found in my closet. I'm pretty sure it was mine when I was little, but it's somewhat lumpy and a strange shade of grayish purple, so Kimmy makes much better use of it than I do. :p I'll just keep experimenting with different types of cloth to see what Loki likes best.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sandy... you taking orders for beardie blankets ?
Lady Annebelle needs one.. she's currently stealing, Yardleys'. He's using a bath towel.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Sandy... you taking orders for beardie blankets ?
Lady Annebelle needs one.. she's currently stealing, Yardleys'. He's using a bath towel.

I could but it would have to be a couple of weeks until I could get to them. I have sooooo much yard work to do plus I tore my house up so I have get it back together. But I would be happy to make a blankie for you. Do you want a matching mattress. I promise if make you them, they will adore it. OMG, all three of mine love theirs...

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
valkryja said:
... :) I'll pay you for a blankie and mattress, I really will.
valkryja said:
... :) I'll pay you for a blankie and mattress, I really will.
Me too!!!!
I want one for my beardies too!!! That is such a good idea and it would make me feel better. I feel bad that they have to sleep on hard things.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think... maybe you made me three already ? Yardley, Orion and Gemini on a star pattern ? ;)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know somebody who had a beardie that did that. After lights out it took him a good 3 or 4 hours to settle and fall asleep. I assume eventually your guy settles down and sleeps.

Latest posts