• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the world of Beardies

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
@ Jaime

m

mines about 6 months...I just changed his heat bulb, the temp says 103 F on his basking rock, too hot? the rest ofhis tank is about 80 and the cool sides jsut a tad cooler. So far everythings been normal as far as shedding, growth, still hunting crix...just sleeping a bit more during the day.

First.............
You say you just changed the heat bulb, what kind do you use and how long ago exactly did you replace it?

Now..............
6 Months is way too young for brumation...........before even considdering yours as an exception to the norm, there are a few things that need to be in order
1. Clean fecal obtained from vet - Letting dragons brumate with parasites can be deadly
2. Make sure its NOT a temp issue. Your basking is fine BUT the cool side for a 6mnth old is a bit too low, should be between 80 and 85 at the COOLEST point, and for under a year the temp closer to 85 is suggested.

Could be yours is just slowing down, just make sure he still eats every day and gets propper hydration once all the above are 100% in order

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Why do they bury themselves in the substrait, Rafe has done this today and i dont know wheather to disturb him

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Why do they bury themselves in the substrait, Rafe has done this today and i dont know wheather to disturb him

Not sure why they bury themselves. I dont use particle substrates as i dont want to do anything that has the slightes possibility of injuring or causing harm to mine
Females will dig when theyre about to lay eggs, thats the only reason i know of why they would just dig.
Could it be a feeder got loose and hid in the substrate? Rafe may be hearing or smelling it and is trying to find it??? IDK just a thought

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Acouple of pictures of my muched missed Water Dragon. These pics were taken in Dec 2011 and we had no idea we would loose her in January 2012.
Bless you Marcel
dec 2011 036.JPG
dec 2011 036.JPG
dec 2011 037.JPG
dec 2011 037.JPG

Tanya

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would recommend reading and even bookmarking this page http://beautifuldragons.com/ . It is a very helpful site for new and old owners who have just about any questions on their bearded dragons. I too am a new owner and I am using this site all the time. Even when I go out to the grocery store or the farmers market to buy food for my beardie. Give it time to adjust to his new surroundings and before you know it he will be eating and roaming around like every beardie should be.

Hope you enjoy your bearded dragon as much as your dearly departed water dragon. May he rest in peace.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow the waterdagon was really pretty, are their nails really as long and sharp as ive seen in pics?

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
DEC 2011 AND JAN 2012 014.JPGDEC 2011 AND JAN 2012 015.JPGDEC 2011 AND JAN 2012 014.JPGDEC 2011 AND JAN 2012 015.JPG Very long and sharp claws on the WD, constant trimming..
Ihave now weighed and measured Rafe he weighs 200g and is 23cm from snout to tail, he's taken 4x crickeets this morning but no peas, lettuce or grated carrot.......but as you can see from the pics he has used the computer!!!!

Attachments

• DEC 2011 AND JAN 2012 016.JPG
    DEC 2011 AND JAN 2012 016.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 22

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just looked on Beautiful dragons web sit at the growth charts and me thinks Rafe isnt the age i have been told( given his measurements and weight) which is about 12 months , i seem to think he is a lot younger. Opinions please.

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would recommend reading and even bookmarking this page http://beautifuldragons.com/ . It is a very helpful site for new and old owners who have just about any questions on their bearded dragons. I too am a new owner and I am using this site all the time. Even when I go out to the grocery store or the farmers market to buy food for my beardie. Give it time to adjust to his new surroundings and before you know it he will be eating and roaming around like every beardie should be.

Hope you enjoy your bearded dragon as much as your dearly departed water dragon. May he rest in peace.
Great site thanks

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just looked on Beautiful dragons web sit at the growth charts and me thinks Rafe isnt the age i have been told( given his measurements and weight) which is about 12 months , i seem to think he is a lot younger. Opinions please.

You said 23cm right......remember he has a tail nip.
Tails are usually as long as the bodies from nose to vent.
So if you measure nose to vent (Not tailtip) and multiply by 2 you should know how long he would have been if he had his whole tail
Im guessing he would be approx 32cm = 12.59 inches. Uness his groth was stunted he is very short for a year old and i would also think he is still growing.

Most adults stop growing length wise by 12-18 months and then just GROW in width. They can be anything between 17 and 23 inches long (43cm - 58cm)
He looks really good and not underweight

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yep i think hes reaaly chunky,healthy and fleshy so im not at all concerned that he,s underweight. Am going to try and track down previous owner and get a more accurate answer as to age cos he certainly isnt 12months.
I have seen his brother who is really bad tempered, blackens his beard constantly and is positivly lean compared to Chunky sweet tempered Rafe.

Latest posts