• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the world of Beardies

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi ive just got my first beardie called RAFE after having a Water Dragon for 7 years, she sadly passed away.
Rafe is about 1yr old and very tame. A little bit concerned at the moment though co he wont eat and just lies around. I think ill give it another couple of days befor i really start to panic. Havr tried crickets,greens,carrots,grapes, bell peppers and apple all chopped nothing seems to tempt. I have lightly misted him and let him out of his viv daily for a trot around the room. Temp seem s ok in viv with a warm and cool side and obviously a 5% uv.
Will keep in touch re my concerns, nice to know ther is genuine Beardie support out there

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
How long have you had him? Some take a few days to settle and start eating/showing there true character. I would get a uv of 10% as a min. I use a 12% arcadia tube. I'm sure 5% is too low. And to be sure what are your temps?

Reactions: Jp

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's that time for beardies to go into brumation. Not eating and laying around sleeping a lot are some of the signs. Give him a bath once a week so he stays hydrated.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome,

1st how long have you had Rafe?
What are your temps?
Basking side and cool end
What do you measure them with?
How close can he get to the UVB light? Is it a linear or a coil bulb?
Have you had him checked for prasites? Letting a dragon brumate or even semi brumate with parasites can be deadly to them

Oooooh a water dragon, sorry for your loss. But theyre awesome, so wish i could have one

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hmm I wonder if my guys going through brumation? Hes been eating and active but sleeping more than normal :confused:

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hmm I wonder if my guys going through brumation? Hes been eating and active but sleeping more than normal :confused:

How old is your beardie again?

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome,

What are your temps?
Have you had him checked for prasites? Letting a dragon brumate or even semi brumate with parasites can be deadly to them

Oooooh a water dragon, sorry for your loss. But theyre awesome, so wish i could have one

Hi i have had Rafe for a week now. The viv temps are 20c cool end and 40c warm end .He ca get within about 1" of his UVB linear bulb which is 3ft log as is hiv viv.Hes got plenty of meat on him and is bright eyed and alert. I gave him a warm bath last night, he seemed quite amazed and very calm (not in a very attentive home prior to coming to me. Not mis treated just left alone had had no attention paid to him) Still not particulary bothered re eating have tried lettuce,tomato,bell pepper,peas,grated carrot,runner beans and apple all chopped, he will however have crickets but i dont wont him just to eat crickets he needs hi greens and Calci dust.
Will sent pic of Water dragon she was ace, and is missed
Hi and welcome,

What are your temps?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK then lets see

1 yr old, try getting his basking temp to around 37/38C , 40 is a wee bit on the hot side for a 1yr old and the cool side is too cold, about 27/28 ish is required.

What type of thermometer do you have?

Couple that with the 1 week with you i tink its slight relocation stress coupled with too hot and cold temps.

Be carefull when feeding apple.......its a natural appetite SUPPRESANT for dragons, feed sparingly and avoid right now till his appetite picks up.
Have yo seen the nutrition list on what salad/green options there is to feed?

Now the UVB, 1" are you certain? Thats a bit close, should be 6-8 inches. What brand and type is it? (Linear tube or coil?)

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK then lets see

1 yr old, try getting his basking temp to around 37/38C , 40 is a wee bit on the hot side for a 1yr old and the cool side is too cold, about 27/28 ish is required.

What type of thermometer do you have?

Couple that with the 1 week with you i tink its slight relocation stress coupled with too hot and cold temps.

Be carefull when feeding apple.......its a natural appetite SUPPRESANT for dragons, feed sparingly and avoid right now till his appetite picks up.
Have yo seen the nutrition list on what salad/green options there is to feed?

Now the UVB, 1" are you certain? Thats a bit close, should be 6-8 inches. What brand and type is it? (Linear tube or coil?)

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, have messed with temps as a temporary measure until i can get a lower WATT bulb and now on 29c cool end and 38c @warm end, i am using digital thermometers . The UVB is LINEAR and is EXO TERA REPTIGLO. Yep of course ihave altered he log and he is now about 6" away and no more apple for the moment.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats great you got all that fixed so quick.:D

Just watch him for eye issues with the exxo terra bulb.:cool: There has been issues in the past with them regarding this. But then again there are also lots of success stories with them. I think its the luck of the draw type thing. Some get a bad bulb and some dont. Lets hope you didnt:)

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for your great help. Can i just ask for some more advice, if i change his heat bulb to a CERAMIC one what wattage do i need for a 3ft x 2ft viv

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well A CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) really is only used for night times when the temp in you house (Air Temp) drops below 65F (18.3C). If your temp doen't go lower than that you don't need night time heat. Most people who use CHE's have them hooked up to thermostats that turn them on auto matically and off automatically.

Having a a basking light during the day offers you dragon more light and gives them the bright place to bask they need to digest food and absorb calcium.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: P

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well A CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) really is only used for night times when the temp in you house (Air Temp) drops below 65F (18.3C). If your temp doen't go lower than that you don't need night time heat. Most people who use CHE's have them hooked up to thermostats that turn them on auto matically and off automatically.

Having a a basking light during the day offers you dragon more light and gives them the bright place to bask they need to digest food and absorb calcium.

Hope this helps.

mandy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE (im slowly getting to grips with keeping a arid loving dragon instead of a water dragon)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah i bet the husbandry differs quite a LOT between the two species
Dont stress tho, you made the right choice and took the 1st step in coming here and asking for advise. You are willing to change whats needed and am open to suggestions. Everythig will come in time. As long as the basics are fine (UVB, Heat, Food, Hydration) the rest can come in time.

In a month or two you wont believe you ever battled

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
m
How old is your beardie again?
mines about 6 months...I just changed his heat bulb, the temp says 103 F on his basking rock, too hot? the rest ofhis tank is about 80 and the cool sides jsut a tad cooler. So far everythings been normal as far as shedding, growth, still hunting crix...just sleeping a bit more during the day.

Latest posts