• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the Beardies.

kudaku

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey what's up guys,

I have a 2 month old beardie(unnamed because not sexed yet) and I've done my research way before I purchased it.

Basking spot is around 105f regulated by Jump Start thermometer (watched a review of it from a snake breeder). Cool spot is about 75f. In between is about 90f.
Lights used in day time are the 150w UVB and halogen 50w heating source. Night time is a night bulb 75w from Zilla.

Enclosure: 10gallon tank, paper towels as substrate, covered the inside so it doesn't see its own reflection. Obviously has some objects like the wood to climb on toward Basking area.

My problem is that it eats in the morning about 3-4 dusted small crickets. I'm not sure if be eats his veggies which consists of cabbage, carrots, grape, and collard greens since I put the dish in his cage before I go to work (7am-330pm) I know he drinks the grapes juice. They're all diced into little pieces and carrots are little shavings. That's really all he eats all day... occasionally it would eat twice a day with 7-8 crickets total... that's an awful little being that they should be eating 20-30 crickets PER FEEDING TIME.

I'm worried about the little guy's health.. He's about 5-6 inches long. Has a lot of energy, he was the chubbiest of the 3 siblings I chose from and the biggest. I have owned reptiles before, geckos, iguana (gave him away because I moved), Corn Snake ( still have)...

Help me out guys!!! My dude looks healthy and acts healthy... but doesn't eat healthy...

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Its appetite should increase as it gets bigger,I wouldnt worry too much. It could just be settling in still, that can affect appetite. If his appetite doesnt pick up, try it on some dubia roaches. You will be lucky if they eat any veg, but keep offering it and feed it to you feeder bugs so they at least get the vitamins that way.

kudaku

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its appetite should increase as it gets bigger,I wouldnt worry too much. It could just be settling in still, that can affect appetite. If his appetite doesnt pick up, try it on some dubia roaches. You will be lucky if they eat any veg, but keep offering it and feed it to you feeder bugs so they at least get the vitamins that way.
Thanks Hippy! I'll continue to monitor him closely. If there are any tips and tricks you or any other member have, I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks again.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum..
Really keep an eye on that temp for sure as a 10g will heat up quickly!! and it will not take long before you will have to upgrade the tank size.. also it will become hard to regulate temps in small tanks..
I wouldnt use the night time light as that will keep them from sleeping well and they don't need the heat Unless it falls below 65F in that case get a CHE..

Under several of our comments you will find links that will take you to food items. Don't be alarmed that the little one isn't eating much greens as right now they really need the protein more.. Just continue to offer greens as in time it will, and may nibble while your at work.

kudaku

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum..
Really keep an eye on that temp for sure as a 10g will heat up quickly!! and it will not take long before you will have to upgrade the tank size.. also it will become hard to regulate temps in small tanks..
I wouldnt use the night time light as that will keep them from sleeping well and they don't need the heat Unless it falls below 65F in that case get a CHE..

Under several of our comments you will find links that will take you to food items. Don't be alarmed that the little one isn't eating much greens as right now they really need the protein more.. Just continue to offer greens as in time it will, and may nibble while your at work.
Thanks for the tip! I recently ordered a CHE off chewy. I'm definitely going to upgrade my tank size to at least a 20gallon when he grows to the size in need or upgrade. He ate twice today, 4 crickets in the morning and then 4 crickets in their afternoon and a bite of cabbage. The lamp I have is small so the temperatures have been good so far. I closely monitor just in case. Thanks again.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the tip! I recently ordered a CHE off chewy. I'm definitely going to upgrade my tank size to at least a 20gallon when he grows to the size in need or upgrade. He ate twice today, 4 crickets in the morning and then 4 crickets in their afternoon and a bite of cabbage. The lamp I have is small so the temperatures have been good so far. I closely monitor just in case. Thanks again.

Glad to hear that you are keeping close tabs on things, and yep in no time he/she will be in a 40g breeder + lol it really is amazing their growth!
The colored lights are bad because if used during the day they keep their pupils from functioning properly.. and when used at night their 3rd eye picks up shadows that are casted by it and they stay alert and never really sleep.
I would however suggest adding collards, turnip, mustard, dandelion greens instead of cabbage.. cabbage is an occasional to be fed item or at least put collards in there with it.
Maybe your little one doesn't like crickets... maybe try BSFL/phoenix worms, dubia for a staple item bug wise.. or find yourself some Small Superworms (not to be mistaken for mealworms)
Should be eating a bit more than that at it's age.. How long have you had it?

kudaku

Bearded Dragon Egg
Glad to hear that you are keeping close tabs on things, and yep in no time he/she will be in a 40g breeder + lol it really is amazing their growth!
The colored lights are bad because if used during the day they keep their pupils from functioning properly.. and when used at night their 3rd eye picks up shadows that are casted by it and they stay alert and never really sleep.
I would however suggest adding collards, turnip, mustard, dandelion greens instead of cabbage.. cabbage is an occasional to be fed item or at least put collards in there with it.
Maybe your little one doesn't like crickets... maybe try BSFL/phoenix worms, dubia for a staple item bug wise.. or find yourself some Small Superworms (not to be mistaken for mealworms)
Should be eating a bit more than that at it's age.. How long have you had it?
Yeah I ordered some micro supers which should be here in a couple of days. This would be going on 2 weeks. That's what my original post was concerned about.. He eats very little for his age.. The average was like 20 crickets per feeding.. So it's very concerning to me..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I ordered some micro supers which should be here in a couple of days. This would be going on 2 weeks. That's what my original post was concerned about.. He eats very little for his age.. The average was like 20 crickets per feeding.. So it's very concerning to me..
Ok good glad you've got some different feeders to try.. that might just be the ticket you never know.. For example: I have some friends who have a young little one and he wasn't eating hardly at all and really cranky.. I go over with some dubia and my temp meter..First off his tank was WAY too hot..then I offered dubia and bam gobbled them right up and then some! then also ate the crickets she had and even ate some collards.. LOL so you just never know they have such personalities..
I would suggest having your little one vetted along with a stool sample to be checked for parasites.. Also a nice thing to have a baseline of your little one..
Maybe your little one isn't feeling secure? does he/she act like it wants out? or agitated? maybe cover a few sides of the tank.
Maybe raise the temp a few degrees at a time it is surprising what a degree or two will do..

kudaku

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good glad you've got some different feeders to try.. that might just be the ticket you never know.. For example: I have some friends who have a young little one and he wasn't eating hardly at all and really cranky.. I go over with some dubia and my temp meter..First off his tank was WAY too hot..then I offered dubia and bam gobbled them right up and then some! then also ate the crickets she had and even ate some collards.. LOL so you just never know they have such personalities..
I would suggest having your little one vetted along with a stool sample to be checked for parasites.. Also a nice thing to have a baseline of your little one..
Maybe your little one isn't feeling secure? does he/she act like it wants out? or agitated? maybe cover a few sides of the tank.
Maybe raise the temp a few degrees at a time it is surprising what a degree or two will do..

Update: got my shipment of 500 micro supers. He ate about 7-8 in one feeding and had a huge poo for his size. That's already as much crickets be was eating in a whole day of 2 feedings. Pretty stoked. The best part is that he only poos in his feeding tank.

Latest posts