• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the Bearded Dragon scene

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't worry, you will get used to the bugs fast. In no time you'll look up at the ceiling and say "oh look, a cricket" and then go on with what you were doing! I used to watch the crickets, they really are interesting the way they eat and the pattern they establish walking around their tank. To help get used to handling bugs, get a box of non latex gloves from the drug store and hold the bugs while you are wearing them eventually you will just start picking them up with your bare hands.

I can touch any of the feeder bugs except for super worms, those things are so squirmy they freak me out. I have to use tongs to feed them to my dragons. Horn worms are fun because they are like little catapillars (sorry I can't spell this morning).

I still don't like any type of spider!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm in Houston, Tx, so no long lasting frigid temps to speak of.

It's a learning process. Honestly, I'm just trying to get over my fear of big bugs for now, as I know Blue won't always eat small crickets. They may be cute now, but big crickets are down right nasty looking.

Your right it is a learning process for sure and I am NOT a bug person but when you got to feed them over time it gets easier, they still freak me out trust me..I still have to resist the urge to fling them across the room when they won't get off my hand.... lol... But I love my Izzy and I remember when I opened my first shipment of crickets and Dubia roaches.... OMG I froze thinking what was I thinking!? I can't do this...... lol Seeing Izzy happy healthy chowing down on them is worth the ebbe gebes... :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't worry, you will get used to the bugs fast. In no time you'll look up at the ceiling and say "oh look, a cricket" and then go on with what you were doing! I used to watch the crickets, they really are interesting the way they eat and the pattern they establish walking around their tank. To help get used to handling bugs, get a box of non latex gloves from the drug store and hold the bugs while you are wearing them eventually you will just start picking them up with your bare hands.

I can touch any of the feeder bugs except for super worms, those things are so squirmy they freak me out. I have to use tongs to feed them to my dragons. Horn worms are fun because they are like little catapillars (sorry I can't spell this morning).

I still don't like any type of spider!
I know girl can't do spiders!!! yuck but your right I'll find a misc cricket where it shouldn't be and think hmmm where did you come from :) the supers creep me out too soo wiggly

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes buying them at the pet store is soooo expensive.. I would suggest www.armstrongcrickets.com that's where I would buy mine they are great customer service, healthy crickets.. I bought them 500 at a time

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I went on Armstrong's website, ordered 250 crickets (16.00 dollars) and the shipping alone is 17.95 MORE.

34 total for crickets!!!

???

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I went on Armstrong's website, ordered 250 crickets (16.00 dollars) and the shipping alone is 17.95 MORE.

34 total for crickets!!!

???
yea that's about right because of the next day air.. if you do 2 day I think it's cheaper.. Can't remember. I always did 500 it' still cheaper in the long run. And if you keep the temp on the cooler side they don't grow as fast. Consider how much you pay at the pet store at .16-.19 per cricket!! so you are really only paying like .7per online in bulk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's a little expensive. I just ordered 250 from Josh's frogs along with 50 wax worms, and with FedEx 2 day shipping it was only $23.

You just kinda have to shop around a bit.

jora_angel

Bearded Dragon Egg
Great news. He ate about 10 small crickets this morning and 10 tonight, plus kale and squash.

Truth is, I've fallen in love with him. I just hope I can keep this up.

I went today and bought 45 small crickets, but at this rate, I'll be buying them every 2 days.

Roaches are still a NO GO!
You got this! I didnt have mine as a baby, but man they are such sweet little guys! My bearded dragon has even improved my own diet, since he cant eat in the quantities that my organic market sells, we eat the same things now! Plenty more veggie in my diet thanks to my little dude! Keep it up! It feels daunting when your a new beardie parent, but you'll get used to it soon enough.

Latest posts