• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the Bearded Dragon scene

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys... My name is Ariel S. and I'm new to the bearded dragon scene. This past weekend, my 7 year old son was gifted a 5 month old bearded dragon by a good friend, and quite honestly, I've fallen in love with "Blue" (son named him after Blue, the velociraptor from Jurassic World).

As with something new, and most importantly a living creature, I have more questions than answers, and felt a forum would be the best place to source answers.

Here's my set up so far...

Thank you for having me!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448910727.817128.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448910747.724800.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448910762.965542.jpg

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome. looks good. specifics, please - whats the basking temp? whats the temp at the cool end? it looks as if you have 2 water bowls - watch the humidity. beardies typically wont drink standing water - my male will drink when i give him a bath and the water is moving. my girl i have to drip the water on her snout. too much humidity can cause respiratory problems. (or is one a feeding dish ?) i like the tile. what are you feeding? how often? watch him to make sure he doesnt nibble on the plastic cactus - they will do that and it can - obviously - cause problems. enjoy the adventure!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum!! Welcome to the beardie world :) they are great creatures! Have a good luck around the forum as there is alot of information and folks with lots of experience..
Most importantly is lighting, heat temps for basking, and a cool down side for sleeping as they thermo regulate their temps.. and need the heat to aide in digestion, UVB bulbs are needed for vit's and absorption.
Here is a good link: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/
What are you feeding him? offering a variety of bugs is always a good thing to do. As babies and up to young juvies they should be eating 80% bugs for protein and 20% salads of greens/veggies/fruit..Once sub adults and up that will switch to 80% salads and 20% bugs. This may vary from dragon to dragon.. There are alot of good resources on diets if you would like to check out. the space between their eyes is what they can typically fit in their mouths. Here are some good links:
http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Think that's a good start.. Happy researching :) love pictures lets see him. Oh and keep an eye on the hammocks those things have a habit of falling. I use the 3m hooks for mine..

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
welcome. looks good. specifics, please - whats the basking temp? whats the temp at the cool end? it looks as if you have 2 water bowls - watch the humidity. beardies typically wont drink standing water - my male will drink when i give him a bath and the water is moving. my girl i have to drip the water on her snout. too much humidity can cause respiratory problems. (or is one a feeding dish ?) i like the tile. what are you feeding? how often? watch him to make sure he doesnt nibble on the plastic cactus - they will do that and it can - obviously - cause problems. enjoy the adventure!

Sorry, didn't know if this would be the appropriate place to ask questions.

Let's start with some responses first:

Basking temp ranges from 95-100 degrees and his hammock is about 6 inches below the screen.

He tends to pitch high up on the pointy stump.

Not sure of the cool side. Will buy a thermometer today.

I have only one deep water bowl. The shallow one is his food bowl. Humidity is 45.

I have not yet heard of the "standing water" but I'd love to know how to make it more attractive for him to bathe/ drink. As of now, I've had him for 3 full days and I'm yet to see him drink.

Feeding. This is where I need the most help.

Yesterday night was the first time in 3 days I've seen him eat. I did not feed him yesterday AM (on purpose) to induce his appetitive.

He ate 6 crickets in 2 minutes.

I also fed him Brussel Spouts, which I read should be only fed in moderation.

I was told to feed twice a day, 4 crickets in the AM 4 in the PM. Then feed greens as well.

I read today on one site that says they should eat 60-70 small crickets a day. What?!?!? That's a big difference.

THIS IS MY DILEMA.

The dragon's lights come on at 6am. I'm supposed to wait at least 1 hour to feed crickets, but I must leave for work at 7am.

I get back home at 6pm. So, I can feed him with no problem after.

Getting him to eat in the AM seems to be a chore.

Perhaps veggies in the AM and 8-12 crickets at night?

He seems to also be molting. I've noticed skin flaking off of his face/ chin.

He also has a rock in the right corner seems to be a tall exit. I'm scared he can't get out as I'm equally scared he can't get into his water bowl (too tall).

You're answers are greatly appreciated by both, "Blue" and I.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:)
I rarely see mine drink from her water bowl either but when I bathe her (which is every day as this is where she likes to poo) she will lick droplets off the side of the kitchen sink. she likes to swim around for awhile. it's a good place to aide in shedding too..
He is most likely adjusting to his new surroundings and will start eating more as he becomes more comfortable. As babies they really should be fed 2-3 times a day as much as they will eat in 10-15 min.. with the last feeding a hour or so before the lights go out for the evening or he's gone to sleep, as you don't want food stuck in his belly "rotting" while he's sleeping..
For mine her lights come on around 6:30 so she's usually up and going (except right now as she is partially bruminating) and at night she falls sleep on my lap under a fleece around 7
They will shed alot as babies and not all at once mine does tail, then legs then back/belly then head.. you can mist him and bathe him to help with the shedding, don't worry if you see him eating the shed it's ok.
They are really good climbers but you can always add a rock or some kind of "step" in/out personally I would get a more shallow reptile water dish as they are rough giving them a grippy surface.

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
:)
I rarely see mine drink from her water bowl either but when I bathe her (which is every day as this is where she likes to poo) she will lick droplets off the side of the kitchen sink. she likes to swim around for awhile. it's a good place to aide in shedding too..
He is most likely adjusting to his new surroundings and will start eating more as he becomes more comfortable. As babies they really should be fed 2-3 times a day as much as they will eat in 10-15 min.. with the last feeding a hour or so before the lights go out for the evening or he's gone to sleep, as you don't want food stuck in his belly "rotting" while he's sleeping..
For mine her lights come on around 6:30 so she's usually up and going (except right now as she is partially bruminating) and at night she falls sleep on my lap under a fleece around 7
They will shed alot as babies and not all at once mine does tail, then legs then back/belly then head.. you can mist him and bathe him to help with the shedding, don't worry if you see him eating the shed it's ok.
They are really good climbers but you can always add a rock or some kind of "step" in/out personally I would get a more shallow reptile water dish as they are rough giving them a grippy surface.

Great info. I fed him a few hours ago and he ate about 4-6 crickets. I then placed fresh cut kale, spinach and squash in his shallow bowl and he munched on that for a bit.

I stuck him in the water bowl about the times, but he quickly got out.

How many crickets should he be eating a day?

And can anyone suggest how I'm supposed to feed him when I work 8a-5p?

Thank you all!!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You could turn turn the lights on a half hour earlier and feed right before you leave the house. My lights are on for 14 hours and off for 10. They go on at 6 am to give them some time to warm up and I feed anywhere between 6:30 and 7am. The lights go off at 8pm to give us time to get home and do what we need to do 2 hours before their lights go off. When they were younger we would feed them at 6pm, now that they are older they don't eat that late.

Since you are not home you can try to bowl feed. Crickets can't climb clean glass and little crickets can't jump real high so you could try to get a glass bowl and he/she will learn to eat out of it. Give a salad in the morning and leave it in the whole day. Little ones may not eat salad right away but he/she may surprise you.

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
PatsyB - thank you as well for your reply. Blue seems to eat the greens quasi-well.

I may just be over thinking things, as today is day 4 of him be becoming a part of our family.

The enclosure is still new to him (and us) and I'd like to believe he's getting used to "everything!"

I'm trying not to bother him much so I'm holding him minimally, to better allow him to settle in.

Sound correct?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep what your doing is good just really watch the amount of spinach you give as that is very high in calcium..
I bowl feed like PatsyB mentioned works really well, my bowl is 2 1/2 " tall and clear glass, when I gave crickets they were big enough to jump so (this is going to sound gross) I cut the back legs off so they couldn't jump. It's really up to the dragon each is going to be different in how many they are going to eat...when little mine at like a doz crickets at a time, then sometimes just a few..mine loves dubia roaches the best now.
You are doing just fine with the holding of him it just takes some time for them to settle..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Trust me I was the same way, still am with the adult ones, but after raising crickets for 4 years I am happy as a clam to feed and raise roaches now as OMG they are way way easier to do and really don't have to handle them much.. don't bite like crickets, don't fly, don't smell and don't make noise.. 1 roach = 5 crickets nutrition wise.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Y'all will mostly likely laugh, but despite being a nearly 6ft police officer, and 280 lbs, IM DEATHLY AFRAID OF ROACHES.

So, "Blue" will never eat those!

This did make me laugh!

I don't like roaches either, I know they are nutritious but I can't get over the ick factor. Hdrydr31's comment on pulling the legs off of crickets made me laugh too because I do that for my little frog so he doesn't eat the paper towel in his tank when he hunts.

I also love that you are a big police officer and you are obsessing over a little bearded dragon! It's very easy to fall in love with these guys and the first one is always like the first child. We worry about EVERYTHING we do, they do, what they don't do. Once the second one comes we get more lax. Sounds like you are doing everything right. It may take a few weeks but he should settle in and and start eating more and relaxing more.

Here are some links for some fruits and veggies that are recommended.
http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
Great news. He ate about 10 small crickets this morning and 10 tonight, plus kale and squash.

Truth is, I've fallen in love with him. I just hope I can keep this up.

I went today and bought 45 small crickets, but at this rate, I'll be buying them every 2 days.

Roaches are still a NO GO!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great news. He ate about 10 small crickets this morning and 10 tonight, plus kale and squash.

Truth is, I've fallen in love with him. I just hope I can keep this up.

I went today and bought 45 small crickets, but at this rate, I'll be buying them every 2 days.

Roaches are still a NO GO!
yes buying them at the pet store is soooo expensive.. I would suggest www.armstrongcrickets.com that's where I would buy mine they are great customer service, healthy crickets.. I bought them 500 at a time

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome. Thank you all soon much for the help!
anytime I'm around if you need help if you are going to house crickets in bulk I did alot of trial and error over the 4 years of having them..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are great little creatures!! I am also in love with my Izzy didn't take long :) Her favorite spot to nap the evening away is in my sweatshirt pouch while we watch tv.. She just is fascinating to me can't imagine not having one now!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, definitely have to buy feeders in bulk, much cheaper than the pet store. Not sure where you live, but sometimes in the winter when it gets real cold it's hard to buy crickets from the pet stores. I had a few desperate times where because of snow or cold their shipments didn't come in and what they had in stock they needed to feed to their stock reptiles. Those times, I ended up buying super worms and wax worms to hold me over.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, definitely have to buy feeders in bulk, much cheaper than the pet store. Not sure where you live, but sometimes in the winter when it gets real cold it's hard to buy crickets from the pet stores. I had a few desperate times where because of snow or cold their shipments didn't come in and what they had in stock they needed to feed to their stock reptiles. Those times, I ended up buying super worms and wax worms to hold me over.

Yep here in WI I found that I could safely still get a shipment overnight as long as it didn't go below 17F . Then I started raising them for winter times but it was hit and miss..what I would do is if I saw a cold snap that was going to last I would get a double shipment of smaller ones that normal and the size I normally would get and that got me thru

ARUTLOSJR11

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm in Houston, Tx, so no long lasting frigid temps to speak of.

It's a learning process. Honestly, I'm just trying to get over my fear of big bugs for now, as I know Blue won't always eat small crickets. They may be cute now, but big crickets are down right nasty looking.