• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to beardies!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TRXDragon said:
I live in Florida, just north of Tampa. i have 5 acres so i have some extra room. the only problem i can foresee is the ground. its a very loose sand/dirt mixture. idk what i have to do. lay tiles? or something else? the next dragon will be fully grown, or at least 11 months. what kinda of lighting will a outdoor enclosure use? and it gets down to about 20-30 degrees F here in the winter. how do i keep him warm enough?

I wanted to address these concerns, you posted above.

The sand/dirt as a floor will pose some benefits, and some difficulties, if you use an outside enclosure.
Benefits I think I see are: natural bacteria to break down dragon's waste matter, drainage ( depending on the floor of said enclosure) to remove said waste from the dragon's immediate area.
Difficulties would be the natural parasites found in said "soils", local insects that are exposed to parasites, chemicals and what nots, local weather.
You would have to construct an enclosure that could reap the benefits of the sunlight, yet protect the dragon from the natural dangers, such as lightening bugs.. those are deadly if consumed, to a dragon.

No other lighting would be needed if this dragon is exposed to natural sunlight.

You mentioned heat... Well.. there is nothing saying you have to keep your dragon in that outside enclosure, year round. And there is a fairly good chance this almost year old dragon will experience Brumation ( hibernation in reptiles) this year.

So I would suggest, two enclosures.. One inside, one outside.
Hope this helps.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have gotten a few nice enclosures on craigslist for under 50.00. They came with heat lamps, etc... Keep your eye open there too. Never know.

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
TRXDragon said:
I live in Florida, just north of Tampa. i have 5 acres so i have some extra room. the only problem i can foresee is the ground. its a very loose sand/dirt mixture. idk what i have to do. lay tiles? or something else? the next dragon will be fully grown, or at least 11 months. what kinda of lighting will a outdoor enclosure use? and it gets down to about 20-30 degrees F here in the winter. how do i keep him warm enough?

I wanted to address these concerns, you posted above.

The sand/dirt as a floor will pose some benefits, and some difficulties, if you use an outside enclosure.
Benefits I think I see are: natural bacteria to break down dragon's waste matter, drainage ( depending on the floor of said enclosure) to remove said waste from the dragon's immediate area.
Difficulties would be the natural parasites found in said "soils", local insects that are exposed to parasites, chemicals and what nots, local weather.
You would have to construct an enclosure that could reap the benefits of the sunlight, yet protect the dragon from the natural dangers, such as lightening bugs.. those are deadly if consumed, to a dragon.

No other lighting would be needed if this dragon is exposed to natural sunlight.

You mentioned heat... Well.. there is nothing saying you have to keep your dragon in that outside enclosure, year round. And there is a fairly good chance this almost year old dragon will experience Brumation ( hibernation in reptiles) this year.

So I would suggest, two enclosures.. One inside, one outside.
Hope this helps.
in Florida, there is no Lighting bugs. and the i would probably make the enclosure out of a fine wire mesh, with a top. ill probably make it stylish too, with some paver blocks and stuff to make it snazzy. and down here, we have a truck that drives around spraying for Mosquitos. will this spray kill him if he inhales it?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be careful with an outdoor enclosure. Armadillos, raccoons and opossums are strong and determined creatures. Also make sure the snakes can not get in either.

I too have bought a tank off craigslist. I got a 40 gallon breeder with screen top for $40

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
staylor said:
I too have bought a tank off craigslist. I got a 40 gallon breeder with screen top for $40

I saw the tanks on there and was checking them out. (We decided to build one instead) But I was wondering if craigslist was a good site for things like this. I've never used it before. ::)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got both my beardies off craigslist and I got piggys tank off there too. It is a great place to get expensive stuff for cheap. Just make sure you clean it good and your fine

Latest posts