• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to beardies!

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello, all.
I recently purchased a BD from my local Petco and brought him home. I set up its tank and put him in. at first, he seemed just lazy, but would still walk around and eat properly. I soaked him 3 times a week, always had romaine lettuce or Bearded Dragon bites for him, and constantly had a supply of crickets. I had his Heat lamp on 12 hours a day and his UVA/UVB lamp on all day. i handled him frequently, let him run around, and made sure he always had water. My only mistake, was using a orange sand substrate that came with the Bearded Dragon starter kit i bought, that came with two lamps, 2 bulbs, the tank, a screen for the top, a water and food dish, some dry BD food, some water treatment liquid, vitamins, and calcium powder. After about a week, i took the substrate out, after reading about Impaction in a book, a care sheet, and this website. ;D (Thanks all! :)) i replaced this with paper towels, and eventually a reptile pad (that reminds me of green outdoor carpet). My little buddy (Who i named Dorito, because his claws were stained by the dang substrate, so he looked as if he was munching on doritos... lol) eventually pooped after about a day of owning him. it was quite runny, and this set off alarms, because i was told to watch for this, as it means he could have parasites. He was also very lethargic, but i thought this was normal since he was a reptile. after about 2 weeks of owning him, he wasn't moving at all. he would sleep all day, and wouldn't move unless i moved him. he would poop and sleep in it, seemingly not caring. My brother eventually commented that it looked as if he was losing weight, so after sixteen days of owning him, i reluctantly took my little buddy back to the store. Looking back at pictures of him, and pictures of Beardies from this website, i realized he was already extrememly thin. Normal beardies are wide, but Dorito was thin. (Pics later). any comments or advice? i want my next BD to be healthy and happy for years to come. :)

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So sorry to hear how sad you are about your little dragon!!! Sounds like you did what you could for your little one. Please review the care sheet on this site. It will give you all the information you need. I am using the Reptisun 10 for UVB as do alot of other people. Make sure your temps are right on as well. It is not recommended that you not give any type of lettuce. Here is a helpful website. I printed it up and keep it in a notebook with any other helpful Beardie information for future references.http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/home.html

One other thing I'd like to warn you about is buying from your local pet store. I learned the hard way as you did that it is best to find a breeder you know and trust and buy a healthy critter from them. A breeder like this is more likely to care about the little one you are buying and can give you it's history. There are 3 that I know of on here. I have bought geckos from Gina (ladyknite) on this site and know and trust her first hand. But I am not sure if she is still breeding and selling. If you look under breeders you will see some Tom has sold in the past. You spend a fortune on those little dragons in Petco and in some cases they are sickly before you even get them home. Gina shipped mine UPS. They arrived safely and unharmed. I got them the day after she sent them to me. It was worth every penny of the shipping costs to know I had healthy critters. Just a thought to share with you.

So sorry about your loss and best wishes for your new one.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My lil guy is a Petco beardie. The thing you have to keep in mind with that store is you don't know how long theyve been living in Petco's atrocious display cases that dont even come close to maintaining good temps. Rex was in good shape so I think he hadnt been there long. I would suggest trying to find a breeder if you don't want a chance at having a beardie with problems.

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah, i've seen some of Tom's dragons. they are beautiful, but im now looking for a Lawson's Dragon. ive read they are smaller in size and thats what i'm aiming for because of lack of space. I use the Reptisun 10. it came in the starter kit. i use one of the stick on thermometers, and ive read from another forum member that these can be as much as 20 degrees off, so i will be getting a temp gun here shortly. Towards the end of my ownership of Dorito, i fed him more of the moist BD bites, which look like little chunks of ham (Looks like, not actually) and the crickets. my Mom (Im 16) is the one that fed him the lettuce because the lady at petco said so. I later told her not to, but she did anyway.

My tank is a 20gal that came with the starter kit. i was told that after 2 years id have to replace it with a 40 gal. is this correct? and in the 20, is it possible to make the Temp gradient? or will a heat lamp heat the entire tank?

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So, i just found out i don't have a Repti-sun 10, but a Repti-sun 5. Any major differences? should i run out and get the 10 right away, or does it not really matter?

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome from the Tinman,I hope you find everything you need this is a Awsome forum for Knowlege and Friendship!

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It would definitely be best to switch to 10.0, the 5.0 doesnt give off anough uvb for them. Unfortunately that is what they stick in most of the bearded dragon kits. Half the stuff in those kits are garbage as I found out myself hehe. I switched soon after they told me so here on the forum and I noticed a marked difference in my beardies energy level. Plus without enough uvb they can get metabolic bone disease cause they arent able to process their calcium.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
There's a beardie I saw at private pet shop down the road from me...I can't think of the name, but it starts with an R. They only get about 9 inches long. So it's just a midgie version of a beardie, but it looks exactly like the normal sized ones.

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
A Rankin Beardie is the same thing as the Lawson's. just a different name. i really want one, but i cant find a breeder or a place that has one. :-\

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi TRX

Alos I would like to comment on the 20 gal tank, this won't last 2 years. It may last 2-3 months if you are lucky, but Berdys grow very quick when they are young (Mine averaged 1" a week for 3 months). So a bigger enclosure will be necessary.

Sorry...

Fliehigh

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome. So sorry to here about Dorito. It sounds like he may have had a tough start in life.

I agree to up your UV to a ReptiSun 10.0 tube. They produce the strongest amount of UV that is much needed for dragons.

Good luck and let us know when we can meet your next one!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and sorry about your little baby. Petco is the worst when it comes to reptiles.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ditto to the Petco comment. My baby has been doing much better since I put him in a larger enclosure and changed his eating habits as well as uvb lighting...I also use paper towels now. Enjoy the forum, you will receive much needed wisdom here.

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ugh... i guess this has been a good learning experience. I think i may make my next beardie a outdoor enclosure. I bags some ideas. But after dishing out 170 bones on a start kit that was a waste, i can't afford a bigger tank, nor do i have the room. I would take the kit back but i can't because the box it was in wasn't really a box. So after opening it they probably wouldn't take it back. The only way i see the tank not being a waste is if i buy leopard geckos or something smaller.

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lol... i just noticed my english is rather... bad. Im repetitive
and don't make much sense. :p thanks for bearing with me... its 3 am and im logged in on my cellphone. Haha. Id also like to thank you guys for all the help, tips, and advice given. Its helped me alot, and hopefully my next beardie will be with me for a long time. :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just out of curiosity... where are you located ?
I also wanted to suggest, build your own enclosure, from a nice hard wood, wire in your own lighting, and make a lovely enclosure that suits your aesthetic desires, and the dragons' needs.
Hope this helps out.

TRXDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in Florida, just north of Tampa. i have 5 acres so i have some extra room. the only problem i can foresee is the ground. its a very loose sand/dirt mixture. idk what i have to do. lay tiles? or something else? the next dragon will be fully grown, or at least 11 months. what kinda of lighting will a outdoor enclosure use? and it gets down to about 20-30 degrees F here in the winter. how do i keep him warm enough?

Latest posts