• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to bearded dragon

Ausbd

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi

I'm new to all of this. I'm in Melbourne Australia and still researching everything before I go and bring one home. I've just received my basic license and have my enclosure.
Few things unsure about. Like correct temperature for enclosure. Also I have a ceramic heater instead of a lamp to heat enclosure but should I have a lamp instead for basking? I also have a 2ft UVB fluro. Should I be dropping temps during evening and if so to what? Sorry for all questions. But last thing I want to do is bring one home and harm him or her.
Any help and advice would be appreciated.
I can't wait.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcomeToTheForums-1.jpg

Basking Spot should be in the vicinity of 110F (43-44C) for juveniles, 100-105F (38-41C) for adults. With a heat Gradient to 80-85F (27-30C) at the cool side for all.

BDs thrive on bright white light, so a white or clear bulb for daytime heat 12-14 hrs/day consistently, is preferred, off for the rest. Night heat is not needed or wanted unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60sF (17C), BDs should be allowed to cool down at night, slows the metabolism for a good nights sleep. Should ambient room temps drop below this at night, a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) is recommended, of a wattage & distance just enough to take the edge off. Night lights of any color will bother most BDs at night. An electronic timer for the lights is highly recommended to keep their Day/Night schedule consistent.

Many of your questions can be answered here - Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide

Good Luck in your future endeavors.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
welcome, and i cant really add much to what germ said other than this. Buy a big tank to start with, 40gallon long or higher, 55 would be best. Bearded dragons can get 2 feet long and even a little more depending on the breed. but if you buy a smaller tank you will end up waisting your money on a new tank every few months.

also when you get your bearded dragon it would be best to just get one as having more then one dragon per tank can cause injury and even death.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
40 Gallon tank minimum
If it's a baby temperature will have to be higher, like germ said, and don't keep dragons together. It only ends up in disaster!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just so you folks know, a 40 gal Breeder has more floor space than a 40 long & a 55, so is generally the better choice.

Ausbd

Bearded Dragon Egg
I started off with a tank size of 1m (w) x 0.6m (h) x 0.6m (d).
I hope that's enough as probably wouldn't have any more room for anything bigger.
The info on the links were great.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a very nice sized enclosure, large enough for any adult, as it is the equivalent of a 95 Gal (360 Liter) enclosure. Plenty big enough.
icon_thumright-1.gif

Ausbd

Bearded Dragon Egg
So what's the best way to move forward. I've got the UVB fluro on with timer. And ceramic heater on thermostat. I was thinking of using ceramic heater to maintain temps at night as gets a little cold. Then installing a basking lamp and controlling that with dimmer to achieve basking temp. Or should I put that on a thermostat also. As you can see I need to have two temp setpoints for night and day but use two different types of heat sources.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The plan that you describe sounds decent. I wouldn't put the basking light on a thermostat, as it would shut it down completely periodically throughout the day, possibly confusing, stressing the BD. Most of us play with Bulb Wattages & distances from the basking spot to the bulb to achieve our basking temps. Dimmers will work also, but is really hard on bulb life. By the way, you do not have to go with Pet Store bought so-called specialty basking bulbs. Any type of White or clear incandescent type bulb of sufficient wattage to provide the proper temps will do the same job for less than half the price. Personally I use regular Halogen Flood Lamps for heat. More heat per watt, brighter\whiter light (BDs thrive on bright white light), less power consumption & superb heat penetration (And are dimmable). I run both the heat\basking bulb & UVB on the same timer, 12 hrs on, 12 off. If your temps drop at night, the CHE on a thermostat is a good idea, have it set to 18-20C & it will be just fine.

Basking Temps need to be taken directly at the basking spot, generally directly below the heat\basking bulb, not off to the side or at the wall. Basking temp should be in the vicinity of 43-44C for a juvenile, 37-40C for an adult with a heat gradient to 27-30C at the cool end. Temp measurements should be taken with a Digital thermometer with a sensor or probe, or with an infrared thermometer (Temp Gun). I've found that everyday Digital Indoor\Outdoor thermometers work very well, giving both Basking & Cool Side temps at a glance, if you mount the sensor (Outdoor) semi-permanently\securely to the basking spot, closest area to the basking bulb, which should be the hottest accessible spot in the enclosure & mount the main part of the unit (Indoor) with the readout low on the far cool side. Run the wire under the substrate.

Just a few suggestions that have worked quite well for me over the years. Great to have people getting properly set up prior to acquiring their new pet.
icon_thumright-1.gif
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, we would much rather help now, than later with an ill BD.

Ausbd

Bearded Dragon Egg
The plan that you describe sounds decent. I wouldn't put the basking light on a thermostat, as it would shut it down completely periodically throughout the day, possibly confusing, stressing the BD. Most of us play with Bulb Wattages & distances from the basking spot to the bulb to achieve our basking temps. Dimmers will work also, but is really hard on bulb life. By the way, you do not have to go with Pet Store bought so-called specialty basking bulbs. Any type of White or clear incandescent type bulb of sufficient wattage to provide the proper temps will do the same job for less than half the price. Personally I use regular Halogen Flood Lamps for heat. More heat per watt, brighter\whiter light (BDs thrive on bright white light), less power consumption & superb heat penetration (And are dimmable). I run both the heat\basking bulb & UVB on the same timer, 12 hrs on, 12 off. If your temps drop at night, the CHE on a thermostat is a good idea, have it set to 18-20C & it will be just fine.

Basking Temps need to be taken directly at the basking spot, generally directly below the heat\basking bulb, not off to the side or at the wall. Basking temp should be in the vicinity of 43-44C for a juvenile, 37-40C for an adult with a heat gradient to 27-30C at the cool end. Temp measurements should be taken with a Digital thermometer with a sensor or probe, or with an infrared thermometer (Temp Gun). I've found that everyday Digital Indoor\Outdoor thermometers work very well, giving both Basking & Cool Side temps at a glance, if you mount the sensor (Outdoor) semi-permanently\securely to the basking spot, closest area to the basking bulb, which should be the hottest accessible spot in the enclosure & mount the main part of the unit (Indoor) with the readout low on the far cool side. Run the wire under the substrate.

Just a few suggestions that have worked quite well for me over the years. Great to have people getting properly set up prior to acquiring their new pet.
icon_thumright-1.gif
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, we would much rather help now, than later with an ill BD.
thanks germ you have been great. Rather get everything right now than try and do later when too late.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
oh man your tank is huge! 95 gallon? thats a BD's dream home!

glad t osee you have most everything planned out, looks like a lucky BD will find a nice home

Pat B

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Best Bearded Dragon Forum. The people here are very helpful as I ask questions all the time....:) Good luck to you and send some pictures when you can....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice enclosure ...

Quote from Care Guide previously provided - the reference to 'greater than 10" (25cm) in length' applies to any & all particle substrates. Any smaller BD should only be on non-particle substrates.
Substrate: There are several options for substrates including paper towel, newspaper, butchers paper, slate tile, non-adhesive shelf liner, textured ceramic tile, repti-carpet or children’s play sand. Beware of commercial substrates that state they are “dragon safe” as many are not. Avoid wood chips, crushed walnut shell, coconut fibre, cat litter, pet beddings & rabbit pellets, or any similar substrates as they do pose a higher risk of potential harm. Despite the negative “hype” children’s play sand is one of the best options if particle substrate is to be used, when properly maintained, for BDs greater than 10" in length. Calcium Sand is highly over priced and serves no additional benefit. It is a possible high impaction risk if ingested, due to clumping, therefore is not recommended.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with ThDude, there is a lucky BD out there, that is about to get a very nice home & a conscientious keeper.
icon_thumright-1.gif

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Your enclosure is awesome! Any BD would be lucky to have it.

Ausbd

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks everyone.
I've done the changes as advised and put down a deposit on a bd while I was picking up some items for mods. I'll go back and pick him up when I get a chance. He's 4 months old. Little easier for me as I can feed 3 times a day due to my long work hours. So this way we both win. Going to name him dex for dexter.
I'll post some pictures up when I pick him up.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not this Dexter I hope ...
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
laughing-so-hard-ag1.gif
Make sure to post some pics & introduce Dex to us ...

Latest posts