• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Bearded Dragon

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Depending on the bulb and fixture you get and placement. If you get a T8 size bulb and you put it on the mesh your dragon should be able to get 6inches from it to get the benefits of the UVB. A T5 bulb on the mesh top and you can go to about 12 inches away. Remember you want the UVB to cover at least 2/3'rds of the tank.

Bianca Brown

Juvenile Dragon
I got her wax worm and super worms but she only looks are them and closes her eyes again. Yesterday I had her in the bath again and after 15 min I took her out but all the time in the bath she had her eyes closed. I dried her and had her on her back to dry her belly and she was sleeping. I watched her this afternoon especially her breathing and I must say that freak me out a bit because I only see her sometimes breathing.
The last 5 days she hasn't pooped and didn't eat. The last food she was eating was 5 days ago 4 crickets.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it were mine I would take to a reptile vet and have her checked to make sure she's clear of parasites, or if she needs some vet help while she's brumating..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It could be brumation but considering how skinny she is I would have her checked to make sure nothing else is going on. Parasites could cause her to be skinny too and not want to eat. I know it's not what you want to hear but if she goes into brumation in the state she is in now she might not wake up :(

It's really hard to see them breathing. Sometimes I stare at mine for 1/2 hour waiting to see just the slightest movement. I guess that helps in the wild when there are predators around.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have her booked in to see the Retile Vet tomorrow at 11am.
I have to make sure she is going to be ok. Im so worried about her.
Glad to hear you have an appt for her to be checked out please keep us posted.

Bianca Brown

Juvenile Dragon
I had her in a long and warm bath today again and about an hour later I checked on her and she pooped nice big one. I'm pretty happy about that. If I wrap the poop up and take it with me tomorrow you think they can still test it for parasite??
She moved herself a few times from cold to the warm site. I hope they can help her tomorrow and make her get better.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You know I'm not sure maybe they will if it's refrigerated? Maybe call the vet and see

Bianca Brown

Juvenile Dragon
I put in in container with lid and put it in Fridge just in case. That's the first poop after 5 Days. They might can't use it but I take it and see.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, put it in a bag and put it in the refrigerator it will be just fine. Even if it was taken out of the bath it's still good. Dexter only goes in the bath and when I took her in they said that was fine.

When I first got my frogs I had to save their poop for a week and they told me to keep in in the fridge in a bag! I have to tell you thank god I don't have much company at my house! Between poop, and bugs in my fridge and hornworm food it's enough to gross anyone out!

Bianca Brown

Juvenile Dragon
I got pretty bad news when got up this morning and checked on her. She wasn't moving much and her color changed. I went to the Vet with her and he looked at her and said right away who had her before me surly wasn't feeding her at all. By the time she came to me she wasn't strong enough no more to turn around. But he also said that there was something else going on and I told him that I want to find out. She there is going to be an otopcie done.
There was not a piece of fat on her. He said she would not have made it. I only had her a very shorty while and I'm so upset that she is past on but I know she is in a better place now.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OH NO :( That is soo sad! I am soo very sorry to hear this! At least she had someone to love on her. :(

R.I.P. sweet girl!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Again I am soo sorry :( I know you loved her while you had her and at least she got to feel someone love on her.. She is in a better place now.. :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I am so sorry this happened. It just irks me when people mistreat animals I mean why have an animal if you can't take care of it and if you can't take care of it bring it to a rescue center where someone CAN. Like Hdrydr31 said, at least she knows someone loved her and comforted her while she was at the end and she can take that feeling over to the other side. RIP little one :(

Bianca Brown

Juvenile Dragon
I myself cant believe thats she is gone. I hoped so much that she would make it but she was just to weak.
Likke you said why have a pet if you cant afford they food.:(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm with PatsyB it just makes me soo mad when people get pets and don't care for them!! I mean come on people common sense if you can't provide for them give them to someone who can!! Thankfully you took her in and gave her love and food! She did take that feeling with her!! It is a shame you couldn't have gotten hold of her sooner... Shame on them! :(
I hope that doesn't keep you from getting another rescue as they are out there and in need... A local pet store I get my waxworms had 2 adults there :( If I had the room and means I would have taken those kiddos home..

Bianca Brown

Juvenile Dragon
I know that's what I said. If I got her earlier I maybe could have helped her more. No it won't stop me now. I want to give 1 a forever home and make sure it will have a good life and I would spoil it. They have to Beardies in the pet store here they are young once and 1 is a fancy one it says.
If I take a baby would I need a smaller tank because they one I have here now it's the big one 48" long.

Latest posts