• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to all of this

Gusimus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi
Soon i am getting my first Pygmy Bearded Dragon (also this will be my first reptile as a pet). and i have a few questions, as i am very keen to get things right.
How much should i be feeding my pygmy (will be a few months old)? i have seen a lot of conflicting information on this and i am a bit confused on the the amount of meat and veg i should be feeding daily.
Also is there an optimum time to feed the dragon? like is it better to feed him in the morning or in the afternoon when he is warm and basking??

also are there any foods to avoid? i have heard that broccoli is bad for them, also that house hold cockroaches should also be avoided.

Thanks for you help!

LilytheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
actually I would like to know the same thing: is there an optimum time to feed a BD? (since I'm new too lol) I figure morning time is best as they have all day to be in the "sun" and digest, however I usually end up feeding mine around dinnertime... So when do you guys think is the best time to feed?

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well there are a few things to consider:

1) their age. Babies should be feed protien (bugs) 2 times a day, allowing them to eat as much as want in 15 minutes. 1 feeding a day should be dusted (5 times a week with calcium and 2 times with a multivitamin). A fresh salad should be offered everyday/all day long. Baby dragons will tend to focus more on bugs then salad but it should still be there. Older dragons (18 months +) will start to focus more on Salad and reduce protien intake.
2) Light schedule. Lights (UVB and Basking Bulb) should be on for atleast 1 hour after they have been fed.

Remember UVB and Baskign helps them digest food.

Fliehigh

Gusimus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Fliehigh. That seems to be the general consensus on feeding. Is it possible to over feed my dragon? I have heard stories of peoples dragons eating large amounts of crickets and then later being sick ( vomiting ).

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes your Dragon can eat too much and get sick but it normally happens when the eat superworms for the first time they gorge them selves . feed them as much as they can eat in 15 min of bugs but have greens all the time.

Latest posts