• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank hard to get basking temp

tails21

Bearded Dragon Egg
For some reason it’s hard to get the temp to 100 for the basking area I just brought 2 150 watt bulbs. And ordered a led light as well. Anyone have any other recommendations? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
Try lowering the light over the basking spot. Also, I'm guessing you have the light sitting ON the screen? Screen filters OUT most of the UVB.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For some reason it’s hard to get the temp to 100 for the basking area I just brought 2 150 watt bulbs. And ordered a led light as well. Anyone have any other recommendations? Thank you
Please get two digital probe thermometers - place one on the hammock under the basking light --- 10 min or so get the temp - babies need 105-110 temp - cool side 80ish -- PLEASE NO RED BULBS OR ANY COLORED!! They will damage the eyes and keep your dragon up all night --- temps at night should be 65-75 ambient and dark --- where is the UVB? You want a long tube fixture please and they are not all the same -- NO coils they are inadequate --- if you need recommendations for UVB please ask I will post links

tails21

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get two digital probe thermometers - place one on the hammock under the basking light --- 10 min or so get the temp - babies need 105-110 temp - cool side 80ish -- PLEASE NO RED BULBS OR ANY COLORED!! They will damage the eyes and keep your dragon up all night --- temps at night should be 65-75 ambient and dark --- where is the UVB? You want a long tube fixture please and they are not all the same -- NO coils they are inadequate --- if you need recommendations for UVB please ask I will post links
Thank you I have a tube uvb directly under the screening I checked temps yesterday and most I got was in the low 90s. I will be ordering 150 watt bulbs maybe it is because it’s cold in the house

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I also ordered an led light and a taller basking area so he can get more heat
The digital probe thermometers are going to give you accurate temps - the UVB is what brand and bulb please? What is the LED light for? Extra light in the tank I am assuming as they give off NO heat - what is the temp in the house? Glass tanks are harder to heat - the tank is on a stand/ table? I see in the pic hes down on the bottom floor of the tank - is he basking on the hammock under the basking light? FYI those hammocks are notorious for causing nail injuries - I would replace it w/ a fleece hammock or cloth -- you can find them on Esty.com search bearded dragons

tails21

Bearded Dragon Egg
The digital probe thermometers are going to give you accurate temps - the UVB is what brand and bulb please? What is the LED light for? Extra light in the tank I am assuming as they give off NO heat - what is the temp in the house? Glass tanks are harder to heat - the tank is on a stand/ table? I see in the pic hes down on the bottom floor of the tank - is he basking on the hammock under the basking light? FYI those hammocks are notorious for causing nail injuries - I would replace it w/ a fleece hammock or cloth -- you can find them on Esty.com search bearded dragons
it’s on a stand he does bask on the hammock which current them was 88 I attached a picture of the uvb light I brought. LED is for extra light I might need to make a run to petco to get higher wattage lamps and bulbs since Amazon is taking a while to send out

Attachments

• IMG_0357.png
    IMG_0357.png
    2 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it’s on a stand he does bask on the hammock which current them was 88 I attached a picture of the uvb light I brought. LED is for extra light I might need to make a run to petco to get higher wattage lamps and bulbs since Amazon is taking a while to send out
Temp is too low for even ambient - you want that around 100 on the hot side of the tank - you need those digital probe thermometers --- those are must haves-- the UVB is one I have never heard of and not all UVB's are of good quality -- please get one of these 24" for your tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
this one can be found at Pet Smart - you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun above
you also want the 2 ft or 24" fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
Please get your guy a better quality UVB -- and those digital probe thermometers - I would cut the tank in 1/2 or 1/3's he is so little he will do better in a smaller area - you can then work w/ him to get him hand tamed-- if you need websites for worms / insects etc - he needs salads every day I would recommend getting him some BSFL small for now www.symtonbsf.com use those as salad lures they are a great staple for babies and good hand tamers -- website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
ignore the kale info its outdated-- heres a good bowl for salads and to keep small dubias in and the BSFL
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76- 6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
he needs calcium D3 5 x per week dusted on the insects lightly coated ONCE per feeding - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding the UVB is crucial for absorbing / synthesizing of the calcium -- the UVB needs to be directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ended up getting the first uvb you recommended and 2 heat lamps 150 watts
Ok what about the digital probe thermometers? Two 150 watt bulbs is ALOT of heat - you do not want to burn him up and if you section off that tank as recommended your gonna have a lot of wattage of heat in a small area

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That’s with two bulbs
What is the digital probe reading? The IR gun is good but certain materials will throw that temp off - your digital probe is the most accurate -- you want the reading from the IR gun in the tank approx 4 inches from spot --- they are good for getting different temps around the tank -- I use 3 different gauges for getting temps--- stick ons for ambient ---- digital probes for surface and IR gun around the tank in different areas

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So the probe was reading 98
Please move the probe over to where he is laying -- you dont need to leave it there - I see the probe on the side of the hammock you want it directly under the lamp please

tails21

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please move the probe over to where he is laying -- you dont need to leave it there - I see the probe on the side of the hammock you want it directly under the lamp please
It’s reading 103 he seems more active now maybe he need the heat

Latest posts