• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Owner trying to start off on the right foot.

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's going to go for live -- they are attracted to movement
www.symtonbsf.com
Order on the way. This little guy is really stressing me out, and he may be just as stressed himself.

I think he ate some veggies, here is morning dish vs afternoon dish.
20220811_080739.jpg

20220811_185654.jpg

It is hard to tell if he ate or it just shriveled, he might have eaten the carrot pieces.

I put him in this container to give him time with some roaches but he seems to not care at all, I do not know if he even realizes they are food. How long should I leave him in here?

20220811_190019.jpg

And I thought reef keeping was hard, this little guy is a making reef keeping seem simple.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Order on the way. This little guy is really stressing me out, and he may be just as stressed himself.

I think he ate some veggies, here is morning dish vs afternoon dish.
View attachment 32560

View attachment 32563
It is hard to tell if he ate or it just shriveled, he might have eaten the carrot pieces.

I put him in this container to give him time with some roaches but he seems to not care at all, I do not know if he even realizes they are food. How long should I leave him in here?

View attachment 32564

And I thought reef keeping was hard, this little guy is a making reef keeping seem simple.
I am surprised he didn't go for the roaches - I would use a smaller container- also is he sporting stress marks?

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am surprised he didn't go for the roaches - I would use a smaller container- also is he sporting stress marks?
Are those the dark marks by the shoulders? The tail was getting dark today. I thought he was a juvenile and I am not learning he is a baby.

20220811_193105.jpg

20220811_193235.jpg

It is 1.5 hours from lights out, do I leave him in the feed container a little longer or move him back to his enclosure. Should I leave some crickets in his enclosure tonight? If I leave a roach in his enclosure they just go i to hiding.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are those the dark marks by the shoulders? The tail was getting dark today. I thought he was a juvenile and I am not learning he is a baby.

View attachment 32565

View attachment 32566

It is 1.5 hours from lights out, do I leave him in the feed container a little longer or move him back to his enclosure. Should I leave some crickets in his enclosure tonight? If I leave a roach in his enclosure they just go i to hiding.
No crickets in the enclosure and yes move him back to his tank and he is not a juvenile he is a baby- crickets will come out and bite him at night-- try a smaller bin tomorrow and try hand feeding him the roaches- no insects in his tank till he's eating them - when you get the bsfl put the salad bowl in the small bin and drop the bsfl in front of him so it gets his attention - is he eating anything at all? Please keep him hydrated by dropping water on his nose if he licks keep dropping till he stops-- stress marks on his belly and no those aren't stress marks on his shoulder

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
No crickets in the enclosure and yes move him back to his tank and he is not a juvenile he is a baby- crickets will come out and bite him at night-- try a smaller bin tomorrow and try hand feeding him the roaches- no insects in his tank till he's eating them - when you get the bsfl put the salad bowl in the small bin and drop the bsfl in front of him so it gets his attention - is he eating anything at all? Please keep him hydrated by dropping water on his nose if he licks keep dropping till he stops-- stress marks on his belly and no those aren't stress marks on his shoulder
He ate a cricket and some of the flukers his first day, and that is all I have seen him eat. My wife saw him eat two crickets yesterday.

I raised his basking spot to 110F and I am going to center the second temp probe in the tank and set the ceramic heater temp a bit higher also. The roaches are bigger then the distance between his eyes so I might need to obtain smaller roaches, there are only a couple roaches smaller then the distance between his eyes. No crickets in his tank, but I have a bowl that the roaches can not escape so I will leave a couple in that bowl incase she gets hungry tomorrow. My wife refuses to handle the roaches and I have work.

The temps may have just been too low. She sure perks up when she is in her basking spot. In the feeding bin she looked almost dead, laying there lifeless. Here she is now after 10 minutes in her basking spot.

20220811_203048.jpg

Eyes still closed but she is standing up. I moved the 2nd temp probe to the center of the tank, moved the ceramic heater more to the center, and set the daytime temp to 90F, night time to 83F.

I hope she makes it, this little beardy has our hearts.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He ate a cricket and some of the flukers his first day, and that is all I have seen him eat. My wife saw him eat two crickets yesterday.

I raised his basking spot to 110F and I am going to center the second temp probe in the tank and set the ceramic heater temp a bit higher also. The roaches are bigger then the distance between his eyes so I might need to obtain smaller roaches, there are only a couple roaches smaller then the distance between his eyes. No crickets in his tank, but I have a bowl that the roaches can not escape so I will leave a couple in that bowl incase she gets hungry tomorrow. My wife refuses to handle the roaches and I have work.

The temps may have just been too low. She sure perks up when she is in her basking spot. In the feeding bin she looked almost dead, laying there lifeless. Here she is now after 10 minutes in her basking spot.

View attachment 32567
Eyes still closed but she is standing up. I moved the 2nd temp probe to the center of the tank, moved the ceramic heater more to the center, and set the daytime temp to 90F, night time to 83F.

I hope she makes it, this little beardy has our hearts.
Ok keep her hydrated - unless she is sick the night time temp is too high- 65-75 at night- did you get the uvb situated? That is extremely important- make sure your feeding appropriate size insects you don't want him impacted-

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok keep her hydrated - unless she is sick the night time temp is too high- 65-75 at night- did you get the uvb situated? That is extremely important- make sure your feeding appropriate size insects you don't want him impacted-
I have the BSFL on the way. I may have to get some small crickets until I get some of the other foods in. They had no small dubai beetles in stock.

The Ceramic heater can not bring tank temp above 81F even with the basking bulb on, so I think I need to get a second ceramic heater and put them in my dual bulb setup. Ill set night time temp to 75. I am nervous to ride the edge of 65 incase the heater does not cycle fast enough. Also 75 in the center could easily be 65 on the edges.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have the BSFL on the way. I may have to get some small crickets until I get some of the other foods in. They had no small dubai beetles in stock.

The Ceramic heater can not bring tank temp above 81F even with the basking bulb on, so I think I need to get a second ceramic heater and put them in my dual bulb setup. Ill set night time temp to 75. I am nervous to ride the edge of 65 incase the heater does not cycle fast enough. Also 75 in the center could easily be 65 on the edges.
Use you digital probe thermometer- stick ons will.work too - you don't want temps above 80 at night unless he's sick-- too warm of temps at night can cause him to get sick-- the cool and dark helps them metabolize their system

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
Use you digital probe thermometer- stick ons will.work too - you don't want temps above 80 at night unless he's sick-- too warm of temps at night can cause him to get sick-- the cool and dark helps them metabolize their system
20220812_064545.jpg

My single ceramic heater was not enough to maintain temps. When set to 73F, I saw temps as low as 66F last night. I ordered a second ceramic heater to pickup today. The basking light is set to 36F at night so that it has no chance to come on and disturb his sleep. I do not know what I could do to lower humidity, we use a swamp cooler for house cooling. We have not seen humidity above 55 yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 32568
My single ceramic heater was not enough to maintain temps. When set to 73F, I saw temps as low as 66F last night. I ordered a second ceramic heater to pickup today. The basking light is set to 36F at night so that it has no chance to come on and disturb his sleep. I do not know what I could do to lower humidity, we use a swamp cooler for house cooling. We have not seen humidity above 55 yet.
That 55 is good for humidity - the 66 at night is fine- I live in MN and I do not use a che at night during the summer- only in winter

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
My wife took him outside in a feeding container to get some fresh sun. He moved around for a bit then finally gave out and passed away. We checked our receipt to prepare to try and return him, and found that we were never even billed for him. We are going to go to the specialty store in boulder to get a healther dragon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My wife took him outside in a feeding container to get some fresh sun. He moved around for a bit then finally gave out and passed away. We checked our receipt to prepare to try and return him, and found that we were never even billed for him. We are going to go to the specialty store in boulder to get a healther dragon.
That is terrible --- so sad and so sorry--- he didnt look very good in the feeding bin last nite --- where did you get him from? Please sanitize the tank before you put another one in there - you dont know exactly what he died from-- F10 found on Amazon or Ebay website--- its a vet disinfectant and a concentrate -- good to have on hand - wash everything in the tank --- I feel so bad for these little babies that really never have a chance ----

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is terrible --- so sad and so sorry--- he didnt look very good in the feeding bin last nite --- where did you get him from? Please sanitize the tank before you put another one in there - you dont know exactly what he died from-- F10 found on Amazon or Ebay website--- its a vet disinfectant and a concentrate -- good to have on hand - wash everything in the tank --- I feel so bad for these little babies that really never have a chance ----
Thank you. I cleaned out the tank, discarded the floor covering. He did have a guarantee, so this time I choose a much larger beardy. Right away he ate a few meal worms, so I brought him home.

Into the feeding bin he went while I finished disinfecting the tank. He consumed several more crickets with gusto. He looks at the dubai beatles but does not seem to recognize them as food.

20220812_185734.jpg

He is exploring his new home now. He is licking the surfaces as he explores, what is up with that? He seems a lot more active.

The pet shop lizard "expert" said my temps were way to high, and should not be over 90F. I showed him the literature on the wall behind him that said 100F is good for basking area, he said nope, we always do 90F. Go figure.

20220812_191224.jpg

This one is bright eyed and active, I feel like we are setup for success now.

20220812_190701.jpg

He is maybe 2" longer then the first one. He seems to be just as obsessed with staring at me as I am with staring at him. I let him soak in a shallow tray of water, and he activly took some drinks from it.

I picked up a second ceramic heater, and the two 100w ceramics are doing a much better job at keeping tank temperature up in the center area. The basking light has had no issue maintaining 108F to 110F.

20220812_191334.jpg

He is exploring the cool side of his tank now. I will be curious to see if he makes it all the way around and ends up basking before lights out. I am off tomorrow, so I will get to take care of all the feeding for the day. I will start the morning off with veggies and add one meal worm to entice him. My BSFL will not arrive until next week.

He seems to be able to tell when I am trying to take a video because he goes from moving to statue each time I hit record.

He just scratched his snout/lips on the plastic ramp if that means anything. I have not seen him do anything yet that concerns me. He looks at me like he wants to be picked up, but I want to give him time to explore his tank while the lights are still on.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. I cleaned out the tank, discarded the floor covering. He did have a guarantee, so this time I choose a much larger beardy. Right away he ate a few meal worms, so I brought him home.

Into the feeding bin he went while I finished disinfecting the tank. He consumed several more crickets with gusto. He looks at the dubai beatles but does not seem to recognize them as food.

View attachment 32582

He is exploring his new home now. He is licking the surfaces as he explores, what is up with that? He seems a lot more active.

The pet shop lizard "expert" said my temps were way to high, and should not be over 90F. I showed him the literature on the wall behind him that said 100F is good for basking area, he said nope, we always do 90F. Go figure.

View attachment 32585

This one is bright eyed and active, I feel like we are setup for success now.

View attachment 32583
He is maybe 2" longer then the first one. He seems to be just as obsessed with staring at me as I am with staring at him. I let him soak in a shallow tray of water, and he activly took some drinks from it.

I picked up a second ceramic heater, and the two 100w ceramics are doing a much better job at keeping tank temperature up in the center area. The basking light has had no issue maintaining 108F to 110F.

View attachment 32584
He is exploring the cool side of his tank now. I will be curious to see if he makes it all the way around and ends up basking before lights out. I am off tomorrow, so I will get to take care of all the feeding for the day. I will start the morning off with veggies and add one meal worm to entice him. My BSFL will not arrive until next week.

He seems to be able to tell when I am trying to take a video because he goes from moving to statue each time I hit record.

He just scratched his snout/lips on the plastic ramp if that means anything. I have not seen him do anything yet that concerns me. He looks at me like he wants to be picked up, but I want to give him time to explore his tank while the lights are still on.
The licking everything is normal that is why we say no loose substrates - the scratching could be shed coming on- please do not listen to the "expert" those basking temps of 90 are incorrect - for a juvie/ adult they should be 95-100 w/ a gradient offered - babies like warmer temps of 105-110- mealworms are a impaction risk- can't stress that enough just like loose substrates - he looks really young - please let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings-

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
The licking everything is normal that is why we say no loose substrates - the scratching could be shed coming on- please do not listen to the "expert" those basking temps of 90 are incorrect - for a juvie/ adult they should be 95-100 w/ a gradient offered - babies like warmer temps of 105-110- mealworms are a impaction risk- can't stress that enough just like loose substrates - he looks really young - please let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings-
He ate very well this weekend and today. He went to the vet today and got a clean bill of health. They are sending a stool sample out for analysis. I also received my stool test kit so I will check the next stool myself with our microscope. He continues to remain active and hungry!
20220814_103953.jpg

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Bsfl is Black Soldier Fly Larvae? I ordered a small bag of dried BSFL, and also a jar of beardie buffet, hopefully these will encourage him to eat his veggies.

He did like the Flukers Dragon diet so I could use that as a lure also maybe?

View attachment 32558
Make sure the roaches are teeny tiny..he can't eat anything bigger than space between his eyes as a reference. What a handsome Lil boy or girl!! Lol

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure the roaches are teeny tiny..he can't eat anything bigger than space between his eyes as a reference. What a handsome Lil boy or girl!! Lol
20220907_192836.jpg

20220907_192815.jpg

Just an update, little lizzy is eating great, she has crunched some pretty big beetles. We picked up a dubai roach breading colony and I am getting lots of roaches. I am trying my hand at cricket breeding, it will take a couple of weeks to see how that turns out.

We also got a chameleon at the lizzard show.
20220907_194600.jpg

20220907_194601.jpg

20220907_194602.jpg

Kayanarka

Bearded Dragon Egg
It has been a while, sorry for the late update. The Beardy we got after the first one passed is doing wonderful. He has grown so much. I made a new enclosure for him. Now for the good part, here are his photos.
20221022_174043.jpg
20221022_174041.jpg
20221019_072926.jpg
20221019_072911.jpg
20221019_072923.jpg