• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member..need advice

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
I took my brothers dog from him because he was beating it to death. Keep your lizard and tell them it died. Find it a proper home. My brother thinks his dog ran away to this day.
GOD BLESS you for rescuing that PRECIOUS Dog!
I took my brothers dog from him because he was beating it to death. Keep your lizard and tell them it died. Find it a proper home. My brother thinks his dog ran away to this day.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is doing better today! I bought him new things for his tank and he is sitting on the new piece of wood. Still not active but much better than before :) He has some time to show improvement before the vet appointment but even then the appointment is just to talk about euthanasia so it’ll be awhile

Bellasmamma

Hatchling Dragon
Awe how sweet. My prayers with him l hope he gets well quickly! Just keep loving him and continiue taking good care of him. I'm so glad to hear he's improving! You're a good mom.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
Any word on the little sweetie?
His vet appointment went okay, I decided not to euthanize him. The vet thinks him eating on his own is no longer an option, so I'm looking for a better source of food for him. Right now its baby food with powder supplements, but most baby foods have a lot of fruit in them, and he needs more protein. I just got a new job that came with a good pay raise so I'm going to travel to a vet that was recommended to me, he has more experience with mbd. I don't think it will change anything, my current vet is a genius when it comes to reptiles. But my current vet said this vet is experimenting with new treatments for mbd

Terra66

Hatchling Dragon
His vet appointment went okay, I decided not to euthanize him. The vet thinks him eating on his own is no longer an option, so I'm looking for a better source of food for him. Right now its baby food with powder supplements, but most baby foods have a lot of fruit in them, and he needs more protein. I just got a new job that came with a good pay raise so I'm going to travel to a vet that was recommended to me, he has more experience with mbd. I don't think it will change anything, my current vet is a genius when it comes to reptiles. But my current vet said this vet is experimenting with new treatments for mbd
How absolutely wonderful that you are willing to do all of this for this little angel. I feel so badly for him, and I hope he makes a good recovery and is able to enjoy his life with you!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Instead of baby food that isn't the greatest for them it would benefit him way more to get a magic bullet and blend up his greens, add in supplements and give him that in slurry form..
Additionally you can blend up the bugs (like juv dubia) into the slurry as well.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
Instead of baby food that isn't the greatest for them it would benefit him way more to get a magic bullet and blend up his greens, add in supplements and give him that in slurry form..
That's what I was thinking too. I get baby foods that are only vegetables or sometimes if it's all they have 75%+ veggies but its almost exclusively green beans, spinach, or sweet potatoes. I sometimes get him ones with chicken if I can find it, he goes nuts for that. A grocery store near my house started carrying one last week that's chicken and carrots so he's been getting a little more protein that way, but i'd rather it be something in his natural diet.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's what I was thinking too. I get baby foods that are only vegetables or sometimes if it's all they have 75%+ veggies but its almost exclusively green beans, spinach, or sweet potatoes. I sometimes get him ones with chicken if I can find it, he goes nuts for that. A grocery store near my house started carrying one last week that's chicken and carrots so he's been getting a little more protein that way, but i'd rather it be something in his natural diet.
Yea I would do more natural foods and good feeders for the protein..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I hope the new vet has some more answers and can help. I would stay away from the chicken foods because their bodies don’t really process meat proteins like other reptiles that eat meat. I like the homemade slurry idea with bugs blended in.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
I hope the new vet has some more answers and can help. I would stay away from the chicken foods because their bodies don’t really process meat proteins like other reptiles that eat meat. I like the homemade slurry idea with bugs blended in.
Freeze dried or pre killed bugs? I know the chicken won't work long term but before that he was getting no protein, so it's just a temporary fix. Have you ever tried the repashy foods? https://www.chewy.com/repashy-super...jPnSYZTuC5DvxXCaVk8hbKx5rYz2-7NQaAkjsEALw_wcB It says gel but i've never tried it so i'm not sure if I could use it with a syringe

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Repashy stuff is good. Mine always liked grub pie. Another thing that my girl loved when she went off food, was Pangea with bugs. It’s a complete crested gecko diet with bugs and lots of vitamins and supplements. I got the idea from Beautiful Dragons. They stopped selling critical care in favor of using Pangea. I have a creasted gecko so I tried it, and she loved it and eventually went back to eating on her own.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love all of the Repashy products! I use the superveggie, Calcium plus!! When I need to do slurries I will put in their juv Dubia and puree it all up along with their greens.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
Repashy stuff is good. Mine always liked grub pie. Another thing that my girl loved when she went off food, was Pangea with bugs. It’s a complete crested gecko diet with bugs and lots of vitamins and supplements. I got the idea from Beautiful Dragons. They stopped selling critical care in favor of using Pangea. I have a creasted gecko so I tried it, and she loved it and eventually went back to eating on her own.
I think i'm going to order the repashy. I've looked into the pangea in the past but they were all mostly fruit so I never ordered. I usually give my other beardie fruit once a month, usually less. But would it be okay to give it more often?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it liquidy enough to go into a syringe?
Yes when I make slurries I add in my greens and soft veggies like squash or zucchini then the supplements and bugs and I use water but you can also use 100% pure coconut water for the hydration part...keep pulsing it to puree it and keep checking for consistency you want it to flow but not run and not sludge..you may need to play around with the syringe some have bigger openings making it easier, the smaller it is the more likely it will clog and you may push too hard and then all of a sudden it will fly out possibly giving WAY too much at once causing them to possibly aspirate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes when I make slurries I add in my greens and soft veggies like squash or zucchini then the supplements and bugs and I use water but you can also use 100% pure coconut water for the hydration part...keep pulsing it to puree it and keep checking for consistency you want it to flow but not run and not sludge..you may need to play around with the syringe some have bigger openings making it easier, the smaller it is the more likely it will clog and you may push too hard and then all of a sudden it will fly out possibly giving WAY too much at once causing them to possibly aspirate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The syringe I have now is pretty small, its slim and only holds 1 ml of food. Would something like this be better https://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Hand-F...e=UTF8&qid=1535229067&sr=1-7&keywords=syringe I used to have it and it's much bigger than what I have now.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club