• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone. I just joined this forum and actually just got my new beardy yesterday. His name is komodo.
So I'm very new to having a beardy and he's my first. I was wondering if I could show my enclosure and get some tips on lighting and other fun stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20230424_160823.jpg
    IMG_20230424_160823.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone. I just joined this forum and actually just got my new beardy yesterday. His name is komodo.
So I'm very new to having a beardy and he's my first. I was wondering if I could show my enclosure and get some tips on lighting and other fun stuff
Yes please do and welcome to the forum---- dragons need specific UVB and surface basking temps so lets go over your set up so we can keep your little one healthy

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
Here's the terrarium. It was a whole kit that my girlfriend got from petsmart

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_164907.jpg
    IMG_20230425_164907.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
Yes please do and welcome to the forum---- dragons need specific UVB and surface basking temps so lets go over your set up so we can keep your little one healthy
That would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_164907.jpg
    IMG_20230425_164907.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That would be great.
Ok first thing you need 2 digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps- those temps for the little guy 105-110----- next please get rid of the coil UVB ---- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues ---- I am going to post 3 of them that are really good please pick one and get it ordered unless the Pet Smart where you are has it in stock -
24" for a 40 + gallon tank this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need the bulb I will post for it
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
22" Reptisun https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
this one is at Pet Smart they have started carrying them you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one 2 ft or 24" fixture - please change the bulb out to the Reptisun posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
Please post back on here when you get the UVB I will help you get it placed and distanced for the tank - the screen on the tank will determine where the UVB goes
the basking bulb looks to be okay - its a clear bright white bulb which is good - going forward you can get Flukers basking bulbs NO daytime bulbs please NO colored bulbs at all -- or Exo Terra Intense or Arcadia Halogen bulbs - getting your insects on line is the cheapest - right now hes probably going thru relocation stress which is normal his eating will be off but he should be eating something if he stops eating that is a issue --- please make sure you have calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene - I can provide supplement info for you --- the UVB is crucial here its going to help him absorb / synthesize his calcium so please get this as soon as possible -- he will not eat w/ out correct surface basking temps and UVB --- and please DO NOT listen to the Pet Smart people most do not know a thing about dragons ---

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
Ok first thing you need 2 digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps- those temps for the little guy 105-110----- next please get rid of the coil UVB ---- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues ---- I am going to post 3 of them that are really good please pick one and get it ordered unless the Pet Smart where you are has it in stock -
24" for a 40 + gallon tank this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need the bulb I will post for it
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
22" Reptisun https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
this one is at Pet Smart they have started carrying them you want the 24 watt 12% bulb
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one 2 ft or 24" fixture - please change the bulb out to the Reptisun posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
Please post back on here when you get the UVB I will help you get it placed and distanced for the tank - the screen on the tank will determine where the UVB goes
the basking bulb looks to be okay - its a clear bright white bulb which is good - going forward you can get Flukers basking bulbs NO daytime bulbs please NO colored bulbs at all -- or Exo Terra Intense or Arcadia Halogen bulbs - getting your insects on line is the cheapest - right now hes probably going thru relocation stress which is normal his eating will be off but he should be eating something if he stops eating that is a issue --- please make sure you have calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene - I can provide supplement info for you --- the UVB is crucial here its going to help him absorb / synthesize his calcium so please get this as soon as possible -- he will not eat w/ out correct surface basking temps and UVB --- and please DO NOT listen to the Pet Smart people most do not know a thing about dragons ---
Wow! Thank you! I'll stop by my local pets mart tomorrow and see if they have those options

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
So is there supposed to be this much light for the night time light? This is what it looks like after it switches from the basking light

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There should be no lights on at night at all --- photo period for a dragon is 12 hrs on 12 hrs off --- lights being left on disrupts the dragons sleep and keeps them up all night - temps in the tank for night should be ambient 65-75 --- that can be taken by a analog gauge --- if you need heat at night for like winter time please get a CHE ceramic heat emitter - you will need a dome w/ a ceramic socket --- placed on on the top screen center of tank it should keep the tank around 70 or so - I use a 100 watt for a 120 gallon tank used on nights when the temp is below zero -- please get a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back wall of the tank it will read the whole tank --- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20% and over 70% -- the humidity in the tank helps w/ the shedding-- what light is on in the tank in the pic?

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
There should be no lights on at night at all --- photo period for a dragon is 12 hrs on 12 hrs off --- lights being left on disrupts the dragons sleep and keeps them up all night - temps in the tank for night should be ambient 65-75 --- that can be taken by a analog gauge --- if you need heat at night for like winter time please get a CHE ceramic heat emitter - you will need a dome w/ a ceramic socket --- placed on on the top screen center of tank it should keep the tank around 70 or so - I use a 100 watt for a 120 gallon tank used on nights when the temp is below zero -- please get a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back wall of the tank it will read the whole tank --- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20% and over 70% -- the humidity in the tank helps w/ the shedding-- what light is on in the tank in the pic?
Oh wow. Ok thank you. It's the uvb that came with the set

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
We have these. Are they useless?

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_233950.jpg
    IMG_20230425_233950.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have these. Are they useless?
Those are good for ambient temps only-- you need these 2 of them
Sorry that is a analog hygrometer and they are off please get something like this

BeardedXoni6690

Hatchling Dragon
Those are good for ambient temps only-- you need these 2 of them
Sorry that is a analog hygrometer and they are off please get something like this
So do I get two of those hygrometers or one hygrometer and one thermometer?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So for the UVB it has to be one of those long ones? I'm on a tight budget at the moment. Only reason I'm asking
For the best UVB the ones I posted are the best --- go w/ the Sunblaster get the Reptisun bulb $54 for both plus shipping ---

Latest posts