• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update: Larry has now a new 120 gallon tank and eats much more greens than before. I reduced the amount of roaches (he does not really like the BSFL). Diarrhea is not always constant, sometimes is normal. Mostly is the urate that is liquid, and not the rest of it. He still getting used to the new tank, but I will keep feeding him like that and I will see if he improves.

View attachment 32093
He's hydrated w/ the urate- tank looks great- you can quit rinsing the salads so much like every other day and see if that dries up some of the liquid

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, just an update: now Larry has a mild diarrhea and, just in the morning, goes around the cage and occasionally does glass surfing (see attached video). I assume is because he wants out, because he still doing fine and when I take him out he calms down. As for the diarrhea, it is more about a liquid urate, rather than a liquid poop itself. He had the same poop 3 weeks ago for about 4-5days and then it stopped. Now it has been 2-3 days he has it again. As for everything else, he seems to be doing fine, eating, being alert and active as usual. It was shedding last week and the beginning of this week, I don't know if that can be the reason. The temperatures in the tank are now ok (103-105F in the basking side, 83F on the cool side) and the humidity is 30-34% in the hot side.
Do you have any idea why?

Larry is a big boy!! Lol very handsome

gbdc13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi @Sadie, I would like to ask your opinion, or someone (maybe a vet) who has experience with that. I ended up bringing Larry to the vet, because he was still restless every morning and with diarrhea. They made a fecal examination and found a mild infection of pinworms (they said pinworms are usually found in stool but they tend to ignore them if they don’t give any symptom). They prescribed me Pyrantel pamoate to give to Larry. Today, after 2 days of treatment, I noticed the presence of blood in the stool and Larry is being particularly restless and not eating much. Is it normal during the treatment? Because before it, he never lost appetite and most importantly never had blood in the stool.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi @Sadie, I would like to ask your opinion, or someone (maybe a vet) who has experience with that. I ended up bringing Larry to the vet, because he was still restless every morning and with diarrhea. They made a fecal examination and found a mild infection of pinworms (they said pinworms are usually found in stool but they tend to ignore them if they don’t give any symptom). They prescribed me Pyrantel pamoate to give to Larry. Today, after 2 days of treatment, I noticed the presence of blood in the stool and Larry is being particularly restless and not eating much. Is it normal during the treatment? Because before it, he never lost appetite and most importantly never had blood in the stool.
I will get your post to a vet tech she can help better than I -- she will want basking bulb temps how your taking them an uvb- is it a coil or long tube T 8 or T 5 and the diet your feeding-
Do you the fecal results ?

gbdc13

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's a T5 bulb Arcadia 12% 36". The basking temp is 105F (I use a probe thermometer) and I'm feeding him a mix of collar, turnip and mustard greens, roaches and, every other day, 2 superworms. Idk if you remember our conversation above, but I excluded the diarrhea was due to anything from his diet. Also, they didn't give me the fecal report, but I'll call them tomorrow ask to send them to me.
Ps: they told me they think Larry is 6 months rather than 4, ignore the age I wrote in the post above.
Thanks a lot Sadie! :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a T5 bulb Arcadia 12% 36". The basking temp is 105F (I use a probe thermometer) and I'm feeding him a mix of collar, turnip and mustard greens, roaches and, every other day, 2 superworms. Idk if you remember our conversation above, but I excluded the diarrhea was due to anything from his diet. Also, they didn't give me the fecal report, but I'll call them tomorrow ask to send them to me.
Ps: they told me they think Larry is 6 months rather than 4, ignore the age I wrote in the post above.
Thanks a lot Sadie! :)
Ok I have passed the info on to her --- she is on late at night - so hopefully I will hear from her --

Krystal0

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a beardie and I could not be happier with my choice! I am also new in this forum, and I thought asking some advice would be a good way to introduce myself. The one in the pictures is Larry, a 3-4months old beardie (not sure about the sex, I haven’t tried too hard to guess since I figured out it is a bit early anyway). He recently (not sure how long ago, but less than a month for sure), started to dig in his sleeping position (pictures) earlier than the time the lights go off (in the evening time, around 1-2h before the timer). I always kept the same timing throughout (7am-9:45pm) and he never did that before the lights were going off. Apart from that, he has been really active during the day, eating and defecating normally. I would like to ask whether you think is just because he is tired or may be sign of any kind of problem. Following there are some details of the setup. His terrarium is 40 gallons (36x18x18), with an Arcadia ProT5 12% uvb HO-T5 24w 22" and a 100w basking lamp.
The temperature of the surface of the rock closer to the light is 110°F and the humidity of the hot side of the cage is around 30%. I put the wooden piece on top of the screen to avoid overheating the basking spot (it was getting 115-120°F before).
Any advice is welcome.
Please stop me from reading. Love it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I have passed the info on to her --- she is on late at night - so hopefully I will hear from her --
I heard back here is what the vet tech said

Sometimes they can pass a little blood when they have worms or parasites, as it irritates the
GI tract lining. His system is flushing out right now, so keep him well hydrated during the cycle
of medication. Are you giving probiotics for him also?

gbdc13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a lot Sadie!
I will be sure he stays well hydrated :)
I am not giving him probiotics, I asked the vet the same questions and she told me there was no need. I am happy to give him some, do you have any recommendation? I have no idea what to purchase.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks a lot Sadie!
I will be sure he stays well hydrated :)
I am not giving him probiotics, I asked the vet the same questions and she told me there was no need. I am happy to give him some, do you have any recommendation? I have no idea what to purchase.
I will get you a website in the morning - it's a vet tech website she's very helpful she can help w/ that better than I

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will get you a website in the morning - it's a vet tech website she's very helpful she can help w/ that better than I
Contact her on this website -- she can help you

gbdc13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Contact her on this website -- she can help you
I will! Thank you Sadie!

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
The bulb is a T5. I am soon switching to a 120-gallon tank, I was planning to do it at the end of May. He does not eat any fruit and occasionally only some turnip greens. He mostly eats Dubia roaches and, occasionally, superworms (3-4 per week).
Keep in mind when you upgrade his tank he might act a lil funny because beardies don’t like changes to there enclosure, but a bigger tank is better. I don’t know about a 120 gallon though. The higher I would go is 75 Gallon

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Ok we need him to start eating salads -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
the kale is a good staple feeder --
As far as the diarrhea is he getting it shortly after eating the turnip greens?
Please order some BSFL large do not dust them www.symtonbsf.com - you will need a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
or similar to -- when you get these use them as a lure to the bowl -- add them to the top of the salads these are another good staple feeder great for babies -- use as many as you want and feed the dubias after feeding the salad w/ the BSFL
Please get a piece of decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches -- I can see its in the tank but not sure if he can get directly under it - what brand of bulb are you using? Reptisun 10.0 T 5? This will effect his stool as well --
I dont think the super worms would be causing the diarrhea either - your not really feeding enough - and you can feed more often if you like - like 1-2 every other day
To add to this look into silkworms and Dubia roaches they are staple protein as well, but it is important to feed him some veggies as well .

Echo14

Bearded Dragon Egg
First we will address the question-- it is normal for him to be digging its a sign of them getting comfy to sleep -- this could also be associated w/ females getting ready to lay eggs but your dragon is too young for that -- also other behaviors go along w/ the digging for egg laying-- so w/ him digging you can place some cut up strips of clothing w/ your scent on it or small blanket cut up and he will dig into that --
Nice set up and welcome--- I see you have a lot of correct husbandry which is great --- so your surface basking temps have dropped now? that is good they should be 105-110 for now that is going to change when Larry gets to be around 5-6 months old -- he will not want those hot of temps 95-100 will be more comfortable for him--the wood over the top of the screen is going to retain heat making it hotter unless your talking about the wood platforms the heat bulb is sitting on-- cool side of your tank should be in the 80's during the day --- when he gets older like 8-9 months we should be able to sex him by then -- for the UVB it should be unobstructed for a fine screen mesh -- the screen is blocking 30% of those rays -- you want distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- this is crucial for his health -- you want him getting full effects of his UVB-- you will eventually want to get Larry a bigger tank as hes going to outgrow that 40 gallon-- full size dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank -- just so your are aware --
what type of UVB light should a teen Bearded dragon have? The person that i got Echo from they already had the lights and most of his things. His UVB recently broke... and i don't know what type he needs. My mom ordered the 13 one, but i'm not sure if he needs that.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what type of UVB light should a teen Bearded dragon have? The person that i got Echo from they already had the lights and most of his things. His UVB recently broke... and i don't know what type he needs. My mom ordered the 13 one, but i'm not sure if he needs that.
No coils they are a health hazard!!!!!!!!!!!! Your dragon will not get any UVB from that bulb ----- please get one of these
24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement for this would be different from the bulb you need https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
you want this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
or this one 24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549895475242 which is currently sold out but Pet Smart has started carrying them if you have a Pet Smart look there --- you want the 24"
Please get rid of that coil--- he will be fine for a few days if any longer than that please let me know I can help w/ supplementing UVB for him till the UVB comes in --- let me know when you get it and I will help you place it for your tank - depending on the screen will determine where it goes

Echo14

Bearded Dragon Egg
No coils they are a health hazard!!!!!!!!!!!! Your dragon will not get any UVB from that bulb ----- please get one of these
24" comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement for this would be different from the bulb you need https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
you want this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
or this one 24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549895475242 which is currently sold out but Pet Smart has started carrying them if you have a Pet Smart look there --- you want the 24"
Please get rid of that coil--- he will be fine for a few days if any longer than that please let me know I can help w/ supplementing UVB for him till the UVB comes in --- let me know when you get it and I will help you place it for your tank - depending on the screen will determine where it goes
My mom wouldn't want to buy those. She said it's to expisive... i have his tank by the window. Is there anything cheaper or anything else i could use?

Echo14

Bearded Dragon Egg
My mom wouldn't want to buy those. She said it's to expisive... i have his tank by the window. Is there anything cheaper or anything else i could use?
This is him and his set up. Note: i don't use the windex for his cage!

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_161257531.jpg
    IMG_20220603_161257531.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220603_161310560.jpg
    IMG_20220603_161310560.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is him and his set up. Note: i don't use the windex for his cage!
The window is good for entertainment - not good for uvb- the glass filters out the uvb rays- so this is what I recommend - what brand are you using? Is it a reptisun brand? If so exchange the 13 watt for a 26 watt reptisun - have it in a reflective dome it will be shiny on the inside- have it unobstructed directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- this bulb needs to be replaced every 5 months- I do not recommend coils but it's way better than the 13 watt you have - it's a death bulb-- then you can also take him outside for good uvb- direct sunlight on you for 15-30 minutes per day- if you use a container it needs to be a plastic tote- No glass---do not leave him you need to supervise him from birds - you can do this as a good supplement to the 26 watt- if you continue to use the 13 watt your dragon will quit eating and he will start developing mbd-+ dragons need uvb for overall health issues from skin to internal I cannot stress this enough