• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New family member!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. I stand corrected. I just put both the salad and 25 bsfl in the Amazon escape proof bowl and it all fit in there ok. Will use this bowl moving forward.

Here’s a pic of her hiding in her hide. She’s been in there since lights came on at 8am this morning :(
I would use the large bowl for your salad - I use that same large bowl for mine and it seems to do ok -- I dont feed BSFL larvae tho I put super worms on top or horn worms - I see her hiding in the back there - is she basking at all? Try taking a larvae on the tong and let it squirm in front of her - if shes hungry it will get her attention - see if you can lure her out w/ that and then take them and drop them in the bowl in front of her hide so shes watch your doing

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
I would use the large bowl for your salad - I use that same large bowl for mine and it seems to do ok -- I dont feed BSFL larvae tho I put super worms on top or horn worms - I see her hiding in the back there - is she basking at all? Try taking a larvae on the tong and let it squirm in front of her - if shes hungry it will get her attention - see if you can lure her out w/ that and then take them and drop them in the bowl in front of her hide so shes watch your doing
She did eat the silk worm that I put in her hide with her a couple of hours ago (after I left the room). I tried to put a few BSFL in there, and so far she has not eaten those. Nothing is Luring her out of that hide, and I’m not trying to force it lol.

She has been coming out to Bask a little bit in the late afternoon’s, but is may be getting 2-4 hours of Basking per day right now and the rest of it she spends hiding in that Hide.

Should I remove the hide so that it forces her to be in the UVB and basking lamp?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She did eat the silk worm that I put in her hide with her a couple of hours ago (after I left the room). I tried to put a few BSFL in there, and so far she has not eaten those. Nothing is Luring her out of that hide, and I’m not trying to force it lol.

She has been coming out to Bask a little bit in the late afternoon’s, but is may be getting 2-4 hours of Basking per day right now and the rest of it she spends hiding in that Hide.

Should I remove the hide so that it forces her to be in the UVB and basking lamp?
4 hrs is good - she knows what she needs- she may not like the bsfl- try putting the silks on the salad in front of her and place the bowl in the front door of the hide-

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
4 hrs is good - she knows what she needs- she may not like the bsfl- try putting the silks on the salad in front of her and place the bowl in the front door of the hide-
The BSFL is what the breeder was feeding her. She said she was eating ~50/day with her. She also sells BSFL, so I had her ship 500 with the dragon.

I’m unfortunately now out of silk worms that are small enough for her. I need to order some more, but they’ll take a fees days to get here.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The BSFL is what the breeder was feeding her. She said she was eating ~50/day with her. She also sells BSFL, so I had her ship 500 with the dragon.

I’m unfortunately now out of silk worms that are small enough for her. I need to order some more, but they’ll take a fees days to get here.
Cut them in half- if you can

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
She finally came out to bask a bit! Didn’t run when I came in the room, but froze like a statue. Ha!

(That’s not poop on her log, but a silk worm cut in half per Sadie’s recommendation above. She wouldn’t eat it from the tongs, so I sat it next to her.)

Edit: also, it looks like her head is done shedding, but her tail is now going into shed.

Attachments

• C650DB0D-A550-4EAB-ACD2-4457AF742AAE.jpeg
    C650DB0D-A550-4EAB-ACD2-4457AF742AAE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She finally came out to bask a bit! Didn’t run when I came in the room, but froze like a statue. Ha!

(That’s not poop on her log, but a silk worm cut in half per Sadie’s recommendation above. She wouldn’t eat it from the tongs, so I sat it next to her.)

Edit: also, it looks like her head is done shedding, but her tail is now going into shed.
Hopefully she eats it- tails take awhile so be patient w/ the shed- w/ her tail shedding she's growing- sounds like progress w/ the not going to hide

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Had some success! When I went to turn her lights out this evening, she had eaten both halves of the silk worm I cut up for her as well as 5 of the small Dubia roaches! Progress!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Had some success! When I went to turn her lights out this evening, she had eaten both halves of the silk worm I cut up for her as well as 5 of the small Dubia roaches! Progress!
That's good - now see if she will eat the silks out of the salad bowl - I would start adding the bsfl again to the salad bowl and those small dubias will work too- they won't be able to get out of the bowl

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Good progress today. She at 7 bsfl from my hand (via tongs). She also at 3 Dubia roaches from her dish.

She’s not automatically running every time we enter the room now, even though she is still giving us that cautious side eye. :)

Elisabet

Bearded Dragon Egg
So she is eating that is good --- Yes leave the food in the tank for about 6 hrs -- if she does not eat it take it out -- is she still shedding? The 15 min is for insects crickets dubias silk worms - etc - the BSFL are you adding them to the salads? Is there any animals in the room w/ her or coming into the room cats dogs etc? Shes really timid-- keep working w/ her and offering food from your hand - place a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in the hide w/ your smell on it - she will get used to that smell and associate it w/ food - you can try tongs for now and then move to the hand - you want her eating from your hand - move slow and talk to her -- let her get used to one person for now so you can get her out of the hide and staying out - patience is key here and she needs to learn to trust you - that is another big factor here --
I think he said that she has not eaten for seven days, that’s why he is worried

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
After our terrible experience with our last beardie (one from a chain pet store in poor health and unfortunately passed away), I decided to go with a breeder this time. Just yesterday, this beauty was delivered in great health. We’re going through the “new home” acclimation period and being patient while she settles in.

Meet Roxy. She’s a red hypo leatherback, about 2.5 months old. She already ate some of her mustard greens (topped with BSFL) yesterday on day 1, so that’s a great sign!
Congrats on your new Beardie we rescue and rehome & one of the biggest mistakes Beardie owners do is improper/wrong or No UVB or Not replacing the uVB every 6Mnths. The best most recommended UVB light is the Reptisun 10.0 T5; it’s a long tubular bulb and the length u order needs to cover 70 percent of the tank & be placed starting at the hot/basking side. Also, all UVBs need replacing every 6Mnths religiously or the Beardie will get MBD and eventually be too weak to walk or eat & then die. Also make sure u upgrade to a 40 gallon tank when the Beardie is 4-5Mnths old otherwise his growth will be stunted, ideally at 10mnths or so they need an even bigger tank but at least do a 40gallon. For Heat; the best basking bulb is the Zoomed “Clear” basking Bulb, never ever use a coiled or colored bulb. Heat and uvb are to remain on for 12-14 hours in the summer and 10-12 in the winter. At nite pure dark when they sleep, u can use a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temp around 80-84 when he’s sleeping until he reaches 6Mnths of age or so then u use it only in the winter when they are older. Please note Beardies under 4mnths need to be fed proteins 4-5 times a day; crickets and Dubias are the best, dusted in calcium 4 times per week once per day. And the veggies everyday for life; mustard greens is great also, yellow squash which has lots of calcium, butternut squash is good too and endives and collard greens, mix 2-3 daily. And as treats 1-2 times per week u can do blueberries or mangoes they love the berries. And on a non calcium day sprinkle herptivite once per week/day but make sure they eat the proteins rite away with the herptivite it should not sit. Once he reaches 4mnths of age do the proteins 3 times per day and at 9mnths proteins 2 times per day and at 12 mnths u can do once per day or every other day & at 1.5 years of age 1-2 times per week on the proteins. U can add super worms when they turn 9mnths to a year old 3-4 once per week; they are high in fat & after 1.5 yrs of age u can add a blue hornworm as a treat 1-2 times per month. Baths twice per week in lukewarm water for 15min minimum and more baths when shedding and u can buy Reptisafe it’s drops u add I. The water to remove the chlorine. Most then 2-3 times a day with dechlorinated water also. Also keep the cage super duper duper clean or they can get Coccidia which is deadly like lice in the tummy. The carpet may be hard to sanitize and keep clean that’s why it’s best to use power towels or white terry cloths that way u can remove and wash asap and chlorohexidine is a good spray to sanitize the tank u can order it from Carolina cages; u mix with water in a Spray bottle and that’s how u sanitize the area that they popped in. Pics are attached; GL & enjoy that Beardie

Attachments

• 53926A28-3FF3-463A-B08D-E7A493A30D31.jpeg
    53926A28-3FF3-463A-B08D-E7A493A30D31.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • DA209EE9-785D-439F-A26A-37AB98A1706D.jpeg
    DA209EE9-785D-439F-A26A-37AB98A1706D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • BA7E540B-0B56-49B7-9DFF-A37ABB374B53.jpeg
    BA7E540B-0B56-49B7-9DFF-A37ABB374B53.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 5

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok. I’m starting to get worried again. We’re on day 6 now. Since she ate about 7 bsfl and a few bites of mustard greens on day 1, she is showing little interest in food. I did get her to eat 1 small silk worm (Thurs) and 1 small horn worm (yesterday), but nothing else since day 1. She has been spending the majority of her days hiding in her hide, and any time she’s out, as soon as she sees one of us, she immediately runs back into it.

I have not attempted to pick her up or anything yet. I have tried to offer her some different things with your hand feeding, and she will not eat from my hand.

Anything I can do to help her get acclimated easier?

Also, should I leave her bsfl and dubias available in her terrarium all day? Or only for the 3 dedicated 15 minute feeding times. I’ve been leaving them in available all day, because I know that if I only offer her them during the three 15 minute windows, she’s not coming out to eat them.
Hi do u have the correct UVB and have u replaced it? UVB lights need replacing every 6Mnths religiously or the Beardie will be unable to walk, eat or move & eventually die. The best UVB is the Reptisun 10.0 T5. Make sure it’s NOT the 5.0; because that gives off little to no uvb so please make the change if u haven’t done so. Also for heat are u using a the zoomed clear basking bulb that’s the best one. Have u given her a bath? Baths are twice per week in lukewarm water for 15min minimum; in dechlorinated water u can buy Reptisafe drops. Don’t get water in her ears keep the water way below her neck. Also, Please stop feeding mealworms it impacts & destroys their tummy, Crickets & Dubias are best and u can place them in a big ziplock bag sprinkle the calcium powder shake it and feed; U can even feed them rite out of the bag so the tank stays clean. Keep the veggies on the cold side of the tank, so it doesn’t get wilted & replace it when it does; mustard greens is good and add yellow squash, butternut squash is good too, even collard greens and endives. Do a mix of 2-3. Sprinkle Calcium powder 3-4 times a week but only once per day sprinkle it like salt on fries and sprinkle herptivite once per week per day on a non calcium day. Do this till he’s a year old, then u can do the calcium 1-2 times per week and the herptivite always keep at once per week. If u don’t see changes he may have Coccidia so u need a vet to test the stool and antibiotics & a lot of sanitizing. If the poop is runny he has it or the heat in his tank is not warm Enuff. Here are pics of what to get

Attachments

• 80CD7A05-CF16-45E8-BE06-B2D7ACF59A11.jpeg
    80CD7A05-CF16-45E8-BE06-B2D7ACF59A11.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • 9A830B95-E9DF-4E56-95E6-7CA17D0A65C8.jpeg
    9A830B95-E9DF-4E56-95E6-7CA17D0A65C8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 68A7B68B-F1AA-41A7-AB2E-8F80EFD1CB8D.jpeg
    68A7B68B-F1AA-41A7-AB2E-8F80EFD1CB8D.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 6

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know this is going to sound unusual, but it works-when you go in to feed her, sing softly to her. (Doesn’t matter if it’s row, row, row your boat, show tunes, or any ballad of your choice.). They are fascinated by all the sounds we can make with our voices. They can’t do that, so it’s interesting to them. I have found that they become so interested in music, they forget to be afraid. I rescue bearded dragons, and generally get them from trauma, neglect, or injury situations, and they have no reason to be trusting, as the first human they trusted betrayed them in the worst way. I usually start singing softly to them, starting day 2, and within a day or two, they come around. Never seen it fail! Give it a try-it certainly won’t hurt. Good luck with her! She’s beautiful!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I know this is going to sound unusual, but it works-when you go in to feed her, sing softly to her. (Doesn’t matter if it’s row, row, row your boat, show tunes, or any ballad of your choice.). They are fascinated by all the sounds we can make with our voices. They can’t do that, so it’s interesting to them. I have found that they become so interested in music, they forget to be afraid. I rescue bearded dragons, and generally get them from trauma, neglect, or injury situations, and they have no reason to be trusting, as the first human they trusted betrayed them in the worst way. I usually start singing softly to them, starting day 2, and within a day or two, they come around. Never seen it fail! Give it a try-it certainly won’t hurt. Good luck with her! She’s beautiful!
Singing won’t fix a dragon that needs all the proper elements to survive it takes time, money and knowledge by reading, googling and asking questions. Music is good when they are having their baths; meditation soft music is the best and daily they liege watching tv; soft shows like I love Raymond, friends and cartoons that’s their excitement.

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, I have an Arcadia T5 UVB with the 12% bulb that’s about 2 months old. She’s already in a 40 gallon terrarium. Tank set up details, temps, lights and pics are throughout my posts on page 1. :)

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
I got some new silk worms delivered today, and she eagerly chowed 4 of them right from my hand. She’s still being stubborn about her salads, bsfl, and Dubias, though.

FinniansMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Singing won’t fix a dragon that needs all the proper elements to survive it takes time, money and knowledge by reading, googling and asking questions. Music is good when they are having their baths; meditation soft music is the best and daily they liege watching tv; soft shows like I love Raymond, friends and cartoons that’s their excitement.
I wasn’t suggesting it should take the place of adequate husbandry. There are plenty of know-it-alls on here wirh instructions and criticisms. I was suggesting a comfort taxtic to utilize to ease relocation stress a little faster. After rescuing dozens of sick and injured dragons, I am well-versed in this area of dragon care. Your comment was out of line.

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
2.5 month check-in and Roxy is doing amazing. She’s eating like a pig with roughly 10-15 good sized silkworms each morning and then roughly 20 medium Dubia roaches each evening. She picks a bit at her salad each day, so I’ll take that as a win at this point. She’s growing fast, and just today busted out of her 4th shed in the 2.5 months we’ve had her!

Attachments

• 737A681A-E624-4FE1-8D75-5C1AA78A3D48.jpeg
    737A681A-E624-4FE1-8D75-5C1AA78A3D48.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 534D34F8-4CE8-468E-B7EE-C1E03B729435.jpeg
    534D34F8-4CE8-468E-B7EE-C1E03B729435.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts