• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New family member!

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
After our terrible experience with our last beardie (one from a chain pet store in poor health and unfortunately passed away), I decided to go with a breeder this time. Just yesterday, this beauty was delivered in great health. We’re going through the “new home” acclimation period and being patient while she settles in.

Meet Roxy. She’s a red hypo leatherback, about 2.5 months old. She already ate some of her mustard greens (topped with BSFL) yesterday on day 1, so that’s a great sign!

Attachments

• EF77C92A-9D7F-4887-9BC4-D66492618BB3.jpeg
    EF77C92A-9D7F-4887-9BC4-D66492618BB3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • 14344CAE-C604-4D0D-8064-F4747D1BAB38.jpeg
    14344CAE-C604-4D0D-8064-F4747D1BAB38.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 78
  • CE6C8382-FC65-4ACC-8FAD-36709646FBD9.jpeg
    CE6C8382-FC65-4ACC-8FAD-36709646FBD9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
After our terrible experience with our last beardie (one from a chain pet store in poor health and unfortunately passed away), I decided to go with a breeder this time. Just yesterday, this beauty was delivered in great health. We’re going through the “new home” acclimation period and being patient while she settles in.

Meet Roxy. She’s a red hypo leatherback, about 2.5 months old. She already ate some of her mustard greens (topped with BSFL) yesterday on day 1, so that’s a great sign!
She's beautiful- you got all your surface basking temps good and your uvb right? It's good she ate in the next few days she may not eat much - she's gonna go thru relocation stress- as long as your basking temps and uvb are good it will help her acclimate to her surroundings better-- give her time to do this feeding her by hand the bsfl will hand tame her - if you have any questions please ask

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
She's beautiful- you got all your surface basking temps good and your uvb right? It's good she ate in the next few days she may not eat much - she's gonna go thru relocation stress- as long as your basking temps and uvb are good it will help her acclimate to her surroundings better-- give her time to do this feeding her by hand the bsfl will hand tame her - if you have any questions please ask
I believe so, but open to feedback. I have an Acadia T5 UVB light with the 12% bulb mounted on the inside underneath of the lid of the terrarium. This sits about 16 inches from the Floor of the terrarium and about 11 inches from the tip of her basking spot. Current temperature is measured with a digital probe for 108° on the hot side in the basking spot, and 78° on the cool side.

I can see from the Instagram page of the breeder that she was very hands-on with the dragons from birth, so I’m hoping that helps with Her being socialized to being handled.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe so, but open to feedback. I have an Acadia T5 UVB light with the 12% bulb mounted on the inside underneath of the lid of the terrarium. This sits about 16 inches from the Floor of the terrarium and about 11 inches from the tip of her basking spot. Current temperature is measured with a digital probe for 108° on the hot side in the basking spot, and 78° on the cool side.

I can see from the Instagram page of the breeder that she was very hands-on with the dragons from birth, so I’m hoping that helps with Her being socialized to being handled.
Everything sounds good - you will need to change out the uvb bulb in approx one year from install

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
@Sadie One question I do have that maybe you could help with is if I need to do anything with lowering UVB exposure or basking temperature due to her being a leatherback? I seem to be getting conflicting information on this topic when searching the web.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@Sadie One question I do have that maybe you could help with is if I need to do anything with lowering UVB exposure or basking temperature due to her being a leatherback? I seem to be getting conflicting information on this topic when searching the web.
No your thinking of silkies- the have more sensitive skin-- hers are good- when she hits about 6 months you might want to lower her basking temps even at 5 watch her behavior as they turn into juvies/ adults temps should be around 95-100

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Every time I open the doors to feed her, she finds a spot to hide. She hasn’t eaten anything since a bit of her greens and a few bsfl yesterday morning, but I know this is normal the first few days after relocation. We’re being patient with her.

Attachments

• 700704F2-52B3-40BE-AC50-482BFF2935E3.jpeg
    700704F2-52B3-40BE-AC50-482BFF2935E3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Every time I open the doors to feed her, she finds a spot to hide. She hasn’t eaten anything since a bit of her greens and a few bsfl yesterday morning, but I know this is normal the first few days after relocation. We’re being patient with her.
Is she shedding her head now? That's going to effect the appetite- as long as she's eating rinse her greens before serving so she's getting water- if she stops eating all together something else is going on- patience is key here- hand feed the bsfl that will get her to trust you and hand tame her- put a piece of your clothing or a fleece blanket in her hide it should have your scent on it

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Is she shedding her head now? That's going to effect the appetite- as long as she's eating rinse her greens before serving so she's getting water- if she stops eating all together something else is going on- patience is key here- hand feed the bsfl that will get her to trust you and hand tame her- put a piece of your clothing or a fleece blanket in her hide it should have your scent on it
Yes, she was shedding her head when she arrived two days ago and looks to still be doing so.

She at a few leaves of mustard greens and a few bsfl yesterday morning (day 2 with us), but hasn’t touched any food since. I’ve had in her terrarium all day today some mustard greens with grated yellow squash, A bowl of BSFL, and just put in around 6 PM a bowl of small dubia’s. She’s showing no interest in any of them.

She did poop once yesterday and once today, and both looked normal

Her Acadia T5 12% bulb is only about 2 months old.

Digital probe gauges currently show 83° with 32% humidity on the cool side, and 103° with 10% humidity on the hot side. Everything seem OK with these temps and humidity readings to help her with shedding her head?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, she was shedding her head when she arrived two days ago and looks to still be doing so.

She at a few leaves of mustard greens and a few bsfl yesterday morning (day 2 with us), but hasn’t touched any food since. I’ve had in her terrarium all day today some mustard greens with grated yellow squash, A bowl of BSFL, and just put in around 6 PM a bowl of small dubia’s. She’s showing no interest in any of them.

She did poop once yesterday and once today, and both looked normal

Her Acadia T5 12% bulb is only about 2 months old.

Digital probe gauges currently show 83° with 32% humidity on the cool side, and 103° with 10% humidity on the hot side. Everything seem OK with these temps and humidity readings to help her with shedding her head?
Yes she will be good - let her adjust to the tank - she has eaten and she probably wont eat alot but at least she is eating - the shed will effect the appetite along w/ the relocation stress --

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Ok. I’m starting to get worried again. We’re on day 6 now. Since she ate about 7 bsfl and a few bites of mustard greens on day 1, she is showing little interest in food. I did get her to eat 1 small silk worm (Thurs) and 1 small horn worm (yesterday), but nothing else since day 1. She has been spending the majority of her days hiding in her hide, and any time she’s out, as soon as she sees one of us, she immediately runs back into it.

I have not attempted to pick her up or anything yet. I have tried to offer her some different things with your hand feeding, and she will not eat from my hand.

Anything I can do to help her get acclimated easier?

Also, should I leave her bsfl and dubias available in her terrarium all day? Or only for the 3 dedicated 15 minute feeding times. I’ve been leaving them in available all day, because I know that if I only offer her them during the three 15 minute windows, she’s not coming out to eat them.

Attachments

• 62C89EA6-AD0A-41E1-9D40-D16039D65ACC.jpeg
    62C89EA6-AD0A-41E1-9D40-D16039D65ACC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • FAF8B757-1A25-48A4-BAD2-ABC7E922B022.jpeg
    FAF8B757-1A25-48A4-BAD2-ABC7E922B022.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 56

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. I’m starting to get worried again. We’re on day 6 now. Since she ate about 7 bsfl and a few bites of mustard greens on day 1, she is showing little interest in food. I did get her to eat 1 small silk worm (Thurs) and 1 small horn worm (yesterday), but nothing else since day 1. She has been spending the majority of her days hiding in her hide, and any time she’s out, as soon as she sees one of us, she immediately runs back into it.

I have not attempted to pick her up or anything yet. I have tried to offer her some different things with your hand feeding, and she will not eat from my hand.

Anything I can do to help her get acclimated easier?

Also, should I leave her bsfl and dubias available in her terrarium all day? Or only for the 3 dedicated 15 minute feeding times. I’ve been leaving them in available all day, because I know that if I only offer her them during the three 15 minute windows, she’s not coming out to eat them.
So she is eating that is good --- Yes leave the food in the tank for about 6 hrs -- if she does not eat it take it out -- is she still shedding? The 15 min is for insects crickets dubias silk worms - etc - the BSFL are you adding them to the salads? Is there any animals in the room w/ her or coming into the room cats dogs etc? Shes really timid-- keep working w/ her and offering food from your hand - place a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in the hide w/ your smell on it - she will get used to that smell and associate it w/ food - you can try tongs for now and then move to the hand - you want her eating from your hand - move slow and talk to her -- let her get used to one person for now so you can get her out of the hide and staying out - patience is key here and she needs to learn to trust you - that is another big factor here --

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
I was adding the bsfl to her salads, but because she wasn’t eating them, the bsfl kept wiggling out of her bowl and all over her terrarium. I’m now putting the bsfl in a separate small escape-proof bowl to keep them from escaping.

Her terrarium is set up in my wife’s home office. Our older dog was in there a bit during the first few days (sleeps on a rug in there while my wife is working), but we’ve had the door shut to the office so dogs couldn’t get in the yesterday and today as my wife doesn’t work weekends. I’ll ask my wife to keep the dog out until she warms up to us.

I’ve been going in about 5 times a day to talk to her and offer food from my hand (using tongs). I just put a small silk worm into her hide with her to hope she’ll eat it after I leave the room.

I’ll keep working with her and will also try the clothing with my smell in there. Knowing that the breeder handled her often and was very social with her head me thinking she would come around a lot quicker as opposed to a pet store beardie.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was adding the bsfl to her salads, but because she wasn’t eating them, the bsfl kept wiggling out of her bowl and all over her terrarium. I’m now putting the bsfl in a separate small escape-proof bowl to keep them from escaping.

Her terrarium is set up in my wife’s home office. Our older dog was in there a bit during the first few days (sleeps on a rug in there while my wife is working), but we’ve had the door shut to the office so dogs couldn’t get in the yesterday and today as my wife doesn’t work weekends. I’ll ask my wife to keep the dog out until she warms up to us.

I’ve been going in about 5 times a day to talk to her and offer food from my hand (using tongs). I just put a small silk worm into her hide with her to hope she’ll eat it after I leave the room.

I’ll keep working with her and will also try the clothing with my smell in there. Knowing that the breeder handled her often and was very social with her head me thinking she would come around a lot quicker as opposed to a pet store beardie.
So the dog has had access to the room? The dogs are probably scarring her so its best to keep them out for now-- you can get a bowl like this for the BSFL and the salad they are real nice
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
So the dog has had access to the room? The dogs are probably scarring her so its best to keep them out for now-- you can get a bowl like this for the BSFL and the salad they are real nice
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

The dog had access for a few days ONLY while my wife is working in the room as he sleeps on the rug right next to her while she works. When wife isn’t working, the door is shut and he doesn’t have access. Dog hasn’t been in there in 2 days because wife doesn’t work on weekends.

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Also, I have that exact bowl that you linked via Amazon. I have the small and large version of it, but both seem too small to fit a salad and BSFL both in? Unless I’m just trying to give her too much salad?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dog had access for a few days ONLY while my wife is working in the room as he sleeps on the rug right next to her while she works. When wife isn’t working, the door is shut and he doesn’t have access. Dog hasn’t been in there in 2 days because wife doesn’t work on weekends.
Ok so thats good -- just keep doing what your doing and watch her behavior -- all your lighting and temps are good right? UVB is correctly placed?

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Ok. I stand corrected. I just put both the salad and 25 bsfl in the Amazon escape proof bowl and it all fit in there ok. Will use this bowl moving forward.

Here’s a pic of her hiding in her hide. She’s been in there since lights came on at 8am this morning :(

Attachments

• 82837E73-4E14-4BFA-91F6-C7D7E2B1C60E.jpeg
    82837E73-4E14-4BFA-91F6-C7D7E2B1C60E.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 51
  • E78DCB15-7229-4CD1-9853-89701CED2F64.jpeg
    E78DCB15-7229-4CD1-9853-89701CED2F64.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 61CF0C11-21E3-4C35-BC06-D805FB29505C.jpeg
    61CF0C11-21E3-4C35-BC06-D805FB29505C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63

Latest posts