• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon and MBD

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I wouldn’t hold your breath getting his legs back to normal. I work at a pet store and we got a beardie in who was dealing with MBD for almost 3 years before we got her. After 3 years of proper lighting and care she still hasn’t gotten use of her back two legs yet. I don’t know if your beardies MBD is as developed as hers but that’s just a personal experience I have with it
We rescue and rehome u cane verse or stop MBD with Reptisun 10.0 T5 and lots of protein And calcium powder.

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi; We rescue and rehome. YES he has MBD; u can reverse and help him or it will lead to death. He needs a REPTISUN 10.0 T5 Long tubular bulb for UVB it’s the best and only recommended one and a Zoomed basking bulb for Heat. The ceramic heat emitter is only used at nite in the winter when he sleeps so temp does not drop below 70. Order the Reptisun asap form Amazon or a specialty reptile store 10.0 T5 and the length should cover 70percent of the tank. This UVB needs replacing every “6” mnths some people don’t know this and Beardie suffers aand gets MBD; the uvb tube light will still turn on but emits little to no uvb after 6Mnths. Get a hideaway also or a hammock with a towel over it and soft blanket underneath so he can get away from uvb as needed but rite now he needs lots of UVB & lots of protein/calcium for his bones. Keep both UVB & the heat lamp on for 12-14 hours more like 14 in the summer and in the winter 10-12 hours; more like 10. At nite No lights only the heat emitter 60watt in the winter, for sleeping. DONOT feed mealworms it impacts them and is horrible. Only feed him crickets and Dubai roaches; he needs lots of proteins; feed 15-20 maybe twice per day then after 6Mnths do the proteins once per day about 15-20 and always/everyday a fresh plate of greens/veggies on the cold side twice daily (Remove/replace as they wilt) the best are mustard greens, dandelions, collard greens, yellow squash Which has lots of calcium, butternut squash and snap peas/green beans and blueberries cut in half 2-3 times a week. Those are the best everyday greens and veggies 3-4 kinds; like 2 kinds of veggies and one kind of green cut up on a reptile dish everyday. Feed him after 2 hours of basking they can only eat when there body is at the warm state & it takes 2hours for Beardies to digest their food so if I feed him let him bask don’t put him to bed or take him out to play till after 2hours has passed. Buy REPCAl from petco they have a food one; sprinkle the calcium lightly on the crickets once per day 5 days a week since he has MBD he needs it or on the veggies sprinkle it low salt on fries or lightly liek a powdered donut. Also buy Herptivite that is a vitamin all Beardies need sprinkle once/fay per week on a noncalcium day. He needs the Reptisun to absorb and breakdown the calcium so get that asap. Baths twice a week for 15min minimum play spa/mediaton music and use reptisafe drops to kill the chlorine in the water. Make sure the temp is 95-97 with a digital themkoter oalce it on his basking platform order one they r like $14place it in the front and a hammock in he back of the hot side and UVB long light in the back beginning at the hot side.
Yes, we already got him everything he needs, were just waiting for his new substrate (reptile carpet) to put him in his new tank. We took him to the vet the other day and they gave us calcium to inject directly into his mouth with a syringe and nutrient stuffs since he hasn't been eating. He pooped today! He hasn't had a UVB light from 2 weeks old to about 5 months old. The vet said that it can take up to a year+ for him to get better, but even if he isn't able to walk perfectly in the future, I am seeing improvement already, he's walking more and he lifted his head up higher than I seen him do before.

The vet gave us a paper about bearded dragon food and their nutrition, mealworms are one of the least nutritious so where gonna stop buying those. Phoenix worms, butterworms and earthworms are apparently the best for them. He also ate a small piece of lettuce which I was excited about.

We also give him a bath every other day on the vets recommendation for a little while.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’d watch out with the worms because a lot of them can be high in fat especially the butter worms, which can lead to problems with his liver. Earth worms too I’m not so sure about but I don’t remember ever hearing them being a staple feeder for them. Here’s a website that list what they can and can’t eat as well as the nutritional value they have which I find is really helpful. If you can try and post a picture of the little guy. I’d love to see how he’s doing :)

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Heres a quick google search about earthworms and also the paper my vet gave me with the bug nutrition stuff. They actually gave a lot of good info and a lot other papers. I feel like something like this should be required if you get a lizard. And yes you can see my little guy when he wakes up in the morning:)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-29 220230.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-29 220230.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210529_215922.jpg
    20210529_215922.jpg
    943.1 KB · Views: 2

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Heres a quick google search about earthworms and also the paper my vet gave me with the bug nutrition stuff. They actually gave a lot of good info and a lot other papers. I feel like something like this should be required if you get a lizard. And yes you can see my little guy when he wakes up in the morning:)
That’s pretty cool about the earth worms but I do know that butter worms are high in fat and should be more of a treat worm for them then a staple it’s been known to cause obesity and poor growth in beardies because they are high in fat and low in protein. I remember seeing somewhere the nutritional values of feeders I just can’t find it anymore. It was really cool because it broke down the fat, protein, moister and I believe carbs too of the feeders. If I find it I’ll try and post it on here so more people can see it.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, we already got him everything he needs, were just waiting for his new substrate (reptile carpet) to put him in his new tank. We took him to the vet the other day and they gave us calcium to inject directly into his mouth with a syringe and nutrient stuffs since he hasn't been eating. He pooped today! He hasn't had a UVB light from 2 weeks old to about 5 months old. The vet said that it can take up to a year+ for him to get better, but even if he isn't able to walk perfectly in the future, I am seeing improvement already, he's walking more and he lifted his head up higher than I seen him do before.

The vet gave us a paper about bearded dragon food and their nutrition, mealworms are one of the least nutritious so where gonna stop buying those. Phoenix worms, butterworms and earthworms are apparently the best for them. He also ate a small piece of lettuce which I was excited about.

We also give him a bath every other day on the vets recommendation for a little while.
Good to hear he’s a bit better; but did u order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB???It’s imperative to get the UVB asap and NEVER use colored or coiled bulbs ever. Also; best proteins are crickets and Dubia roaches those are the cleanest and best feeders, if it’s NoT a good reptile vet that deals with reptiles they give wrong info. Butter and earth worms; I never heard of and are not everyday feeders. And lettuce only provides water. Please please follow the veggie and green list I sent you alongside some blieberries, mangoes and papaya are the best fruits but do fruits in moderation; they can’t have too much sugar, start by feeding him a blueberrie off your hand & a diced teeny piece of mango/papaya. Feed him by hand a diff fruit/veggie but place a fresh full plate of diced pieces for him everyday. And please buy the calcium powder repcal & herptivite from petco. All Beardies are given calcium powder every other day and herptivite one day a week. Pour the crickets in a big ziplock bag the ones u will feed for the 1st daily feeding; sprinkle the calcium powder, shake the bag and feed him he can even eat out of the bag. Calcium powder once per day only or u can sprinkle on the veggies/greens but U gotta get him to eat those u can order salad dressing to get him Started to place on the veggies/greens but the dressing is addicting so start with a little and as he starts eating u slowly stop doing the dressing on them. Also remove all food and water bowls when u put him to bed & make sure it’s quiet and dark when u put them to bed. Baths get the Reptisafe cuz chlorine will dry out their skin unless u have a filter system in your home. When he sheds do more baths so the skin falls off quicker & doesn’t stick to him and cause skin rot also it alleviates the itching. Reptile carpet is tuff to keep clean all the germs remain on it unless u are washing daily. U can use paper towels or white terry cloths as a substrate too. Also, at the vet did u do a Stool Sample? His poop should be Firm. The white is the urine & the dark brown or black or dark green is the poop; if it’s runny/loose then he has a parasite; the worst/common one is Coccidia due to dirty/unsanitary reptile tanks & it’s a nightmare to kill & needs a vet & calls for keeping his tank super duper clean at all times; so always when adopting a Beardie a stool sample should be done for parasites.

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good to hear he’s a bit better; but did u order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB???It’s imperative to get the UVB asap and NEVER use colored or coiled bulbs ever. Also; best proteins are crickets and Dubia roaches those are the cleanest and best feeders, if it’s NoT a good reptile vet that deals with reptiles they give wrong info. Butter and earth worms; I never heard of and are not everyday feeders. And lettuce only provides water. Please please follow the veggie and green list I sent you alongside some blieberries, mangoes and papaya are the best fruits but do fruits in moderation; they can’t have too much sugar, start by feeding him a blueberrie off your hand & a diced teeny piece of mango/papaya. Feed him by hand a diff fruit/veggie but place a fresh full plate of diced pieces for him everyday. And please buy the calcium powder repcal & herptivite from petco. All Beardies are given calcium powder every other day and herptivite one day a week. Pour the crickets in a big ziplock bag the ones u will feed for the 1st daily feeding; sprinkle the calcium powder, shake the bag and feed him he can even eat out of the bag. Calcium powder once per day only or u can sprinkle on the veggies/greens but U gotta get him to eat those u can order salad dressing to get him Started to place on the veggies/greens but the dressing is addicting so start with a little and as he starts eating u slowly stop doing the dressing on them. Also remove all food and water bowls when u put him to bed & make sure it’s quiet and dark when u put them to bed. Baths get the Reptisafe cuz chlorine will dry out their skin unless u have a filter system in your home. When he sheds do more baths so the skin falls off quicker & doesn’t stick to him and cause skin rot also it alleviates the itching. Reptile carpet is tuff to keep clean all the germs remain on it unless u are washing daily. U can use paper towels or white terry cloths as a substrate too. Also, at the vet did u do a Stool Sample? His poop should be Firm. The white is the urine & the dark brown or black or dark green is the poop; if it’s runny/loose then he has a parasite; the worst/common one is Coccidia due to dirty/unsanitary reptile tanks & it’s a nightmare to kill & needs a vet & calls for keeping his tank super duper clean at all times; so always when adopting a Beardie a stool sample should be done for parasites.
No they didn't do a stool sample I don't think. His poop isn't loose or runny, but it was like, slimy. It picked up easily and didn't really leave residue. And yes it had white in it and a darker color poop, I don't remember exactly bc I didn't inspect it. That's normal correct?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No they didn't do a stool sample I don't think. His poop isn't loose or runny, but it was like, slimy. It picked up easily and didn't really leave residue. And yes it had white in it and a darker color poop, I don't remember exactly bc I didn't inspect it. That's normal correct?
If you ever need a stool sample done please take one in NO Enemas -- they often end up in a disaster----- a healthy poop looks like this dark formed and moist --- urate white formed and moist --- if the urate is dry or chalky looking hes dehydrated ---- a good diet consist of a staple feeder crickets dubias silk worms or BSFL-- a good salad NO lettuce- romaine is ok --- leafy greens --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
If you need anymore help please ask

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you ever need a stool sample done please take one in NO Enemas -- they often end up in a disaster----- a healthy poop looks like this dark formed and moist --- urate white formed and moist --- if the urate is dry or chalky looking hes dehydrated ---- a good diet consist of a staple feeder crickets dubias silk worms or BSFL-- a good salad NO lettuce- romaine is ok --- leafy greens --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
got it.

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
I ordered phoenix worms and silk worms the other day. And yeah I've been trying to give him romaine lettuce but ill switch to dandelion greens.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I ordered phoenix worms and silk worms the other day. And yeah I've been trying to give him romaine lettuce but ill switch to dandelion greens.
Do not dust the phoenix worms--- the silk worms yes dust them - add variety to your salads --

Latest posts