• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon and MBD

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got a bearded dragon yesterday from someone my sister nanny's for. I never had a lizard or anything before. They bought it to my house with about 7 crickets in the viv, no heat emitter or uvb light. I've done a bunch of research and his cage is now at correct temperatures and humidity. It hasn't eaten much, but it has eaten a couple of the crickets that were in the viv and I got the rest out. I've been trying to feed it veggies but it wont eat, I tried bell peppers and asparagus so far. Should I wait or try feeding it other veggies?
Also my main problem is I think it might have MBD, I'm not really sure so I cant diagnose him but he doesn't really use his legs, they kind of just lay limp-like. I put him on my desk and he tries to use them to move but he moves his arms and legs like he's trying to swim if you know what I mean. Could this be affecting his diet as well or what? And what can I do to help him get back to normal? I have gotten a basking light, uvb light and heat emitter already. I got some meal worms and an acorn squash to feed him later on tonight to see if he'll eat it as well.

also I dont know his exact age, but hes under a year old from what ive been told. If you need any more info I can provide, just need tips on how to get him back to healthy!

^oh and they also have never given him a bath from what I heard? So I gave him a bath today and he was actually unresponsive to the water and everything, he just looked up at me.

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
I should also say, yes I do have vitamins, theyre in a powder-y form and I think they have to be applied on their food, but hes not eating right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got a bearded dragon yesterday from someone my sister nanny's for. I never had a lizard or anything before. They bought it to my house with about 7 crickets in the viv, no heat emitter or uvb light. I've done a bunch of research and his cage is now at correct temperatures and humidity. It hasn't eaten much, but it has eaten a couple of the crickets that were in the viv and I got the rest out. I've been trying to feed it veggies but it wont eat, I tried bell peppers and asparagus so far. Should I wait or try feeding it other veggies?
Also my main problem is I think it might have MBD, I'm not really sure so I cant diagnose him but he doesn't really use his legs, they kind of just lay limp-like. I put him on my desk and he tries to use them to move but he moves his arms and legs like he's trying to swim if you know what I mean. Could this be affecting his diet as well or what? And what can I do to help him get back to normal? I have gotten a basking light, uvb light and heat emitter already. I got some meal worms and an acorn squash to feed him later on tonight to see if he'll eat it as well.

also I dont know his exact age, but hes under a year old from what ive been told. If you need any more info I can provide, just need tips on how to get him back to healthy!

^oh and they also have never given him a bath from what I heard? So I gave him a bath today and he was actually unresponsive to the water and everything, he just looked up at me.
Welcome to the forum--- MBD is not reversible but it can be prevented from getting any worse --- please invest in this for a UVB a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank -- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it - it can be used as a back up you want this bulb
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
You need to get this ASAP--- the MBD is slowly getting worse day by day ---
Basking temps need to be taken w / a digital probe thermometer and should be 95-100 for a juvie/ adult dragon
His insects need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding ---
He will not eat if hes dehydrated and the basking temps and UVB is not correct
NO COLORED BULBS NO HEAT MATS OR ROCKS AND MOST OF ALL NO COIL UVBS'S -
please get what I posted for you this place is fast and good about shipping --
Please get some BSFL order large and use them as lures to the salad bowl DO NO DUST THEM --- www.symtonbsf.com
you will need a bowl like this for insects and worms https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder please no more asparagus
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Rinse the salad before you serve this will help w/ the hydration most dragons get their hydration from the salads but also the insects -- make sure they are gut loaded before feeding - I feed dubias and feed them in the evening they eat at nite so in the morning they are full from eating -- do the same w/ crickets --- the BSFL come in a dirt you dont need to feed them -- if you have questions or need more info please ask

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum--- MBD is not reversible but it can be prevented from getting any worse --- please invest in this for a UVB a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank -- https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it - it can be used as a back up you want this bulb
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
You need to get this ASAP--- the MBD is slowly getting worse day by day ---
Basking temps need to be taken w / a digital probe thermometer and should be 95-100 for a juvie/ adult dragon
His insects need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding ---
He will not eat if hes dehydrated and the basking temps and UVB is not correct
NO COLORED BULBS NO HEAT MATS OR ROCKS AND MOST OF ALL NO COIL UVBS'S -
please get what I posted for you this place is fast and good about shipping --
Please get some BSFL order large and use them as lures to the salad bowl DO NO DUST THEM --- www.symtonbsf.com
you will need a bowl like this for insects and worms https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder please no more asparagus
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Rinse the salad before you serve this will help w/ the hydration most dragons get their hydration from the salads but also the insects -- make sure they are gut loaded before feeding - I feed dubias and feed them in the evening they eat at nite so in the morning they are full from eating -- do the same w/ crickets --- the BSFL come in a dirt you dont need to feed them -- if you have questions or need more info please ask
Thank you so much, ive already done a lot of research and his viv seems perfect, with good temps and humidity. but will he be able to use his legs like normal ever or is he stuck like this?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much, ive already done a lot of research and his viv seems perfect, with good temps and humidity. but will he be able to use his legs like normal ever or is he stuck like this?
I cannot answer that question - w/ good UVB it's possible but I cannot promise anything- he needs calcium and that uvb I posted so he can absorb/ and synthesize the calcium- w/ out that he won't be able to- what are you using for a UVB and where in the tank is it?

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
I cannot answer that question - w/ good UVB it's possible but I cannot promise anything- he needs calcium and that uvb I posted so he can absorb/ and synthesize the calcium- w/ out that he won't be able to- what are you using for a UVB and where in the tank is it?
I have that one, is it good or no? I can still return it. Its above a mesh-like top which is why I got a stronger one.

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
while im here ill send the other things as well.
This is the basking bulb im using except I have the 75w and 60w, I'm switching to the 60w bc it seems the 75w has the basking temp a getting a little too hot. I also have a ceramic heat emitter. They gave the dragon to us with a 30x13x30 inch viv, I'm not sure how many gallons that is.

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the basking bulb im using except I have the 75w and 60w, I'm switching to the 60w bc it seems the 75w has the basking temp a getting a little too hot. I also have a ceramic heat emitter. They gave the dragon to us with a 30x13x30 inch viv, I'm not sure how many gallons that is.
30x13x13, sorry.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok your tank is a 50 gallon not bad --- the basking light is good -- as long as its keeping proper temps-- the UVB is not as good as you need -- for a dragon that is healthy it will work but your better off w/ the one I posted for you -- get the one I posted and get it ordered like yesterday - depending on the screen it can sit on top-BUT the screen MUST BE A WIDE HOLE fine mesh will block 30% of the rays - the T 5 is a lot stronger bulb and the brand is a lot better ----your T 8 if you keep it needs to be inside the tank w/ the clear plastic cover off the bulb and distance would need to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- but I would take that one back and order the one I posted --- ASAP --you can get the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb for that Zilla fixture as well and get rid of the Zilla bulb its not as good as bulb as the Reptisun -- if you go w/ the Zoo Med fixture most pet stores do not carry this --- you do not need to run the ceramic heat emitter unless your tank is falling below 65 at nite --- dragons like cool and dark 65-75 it metabolizes their system for a better nites sleep -- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer -- stick ons are good for ambient temps ONLY --- no basking temps --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
30x13x13, sorry.
your tank is a 30x13x13?? That is a 20 gallon tank --- your going to need to upgrade to a atleast 40 I recommend bigger like a 75-120 gallon --- look on FB Marketplace or Craigslist -- one w/ preferably front doors they are better - if you find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/ Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out --- look on Amazon for Rescue -- its a disinfectant --- but you need to do this as soon as you can -- the 24" fixture will work on the 20 gallon tank - I can help you set it up but in the mean time get your UVB first this is crucial to him and his health

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
your tank is a 30x13x13?? That is a 20 gallon tank --- your going to need to upgrade to a atleast 40 I recommend bigger like a 75-120 gallon --- look on FB Marketplace or Craigslist -- one w/ preferably front doors they are better - if you find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/ Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out --- look on Amazon for Rescue -- its a disinfectant --- but you need to do this as soon as you can -- the 24" fixture will work on the 20 gallon tank - I can help you set it up but in the mean time get your UVB first this is crucial to him and his health
Is the tank urgent? I've already bought the fixture and bulb though, should be coming soon. Also thinking about scheduling a vet appointment, do you think its worth or can I handle this on my own?

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
The last question I have. I just talked to my sister, she said their previous owner almost only fed him crickets and some broccoli. Seems like they havent fed him much veggies at all. Could that be why hes hesitant to eat the veggies im giving? Hes only 5-6 months old. Tried giving him a meal worm and he didnt really care for it either. The previous owner also said that hes a picky eater, but I think he would still want to eat a mealworm or the three veggies we tried? I sprayed him with some water to make sure hes as hydrated as I can make him be.

He did eat a coupe of crickets this morning though, so he should be fine on protein but im worried abt his veggie intake.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the tank urgent? I've already bought the fixture and bulb though, should be coming soon. Also thinking about scheduling a vet appointment, do you think its worth or can I handle this on my own?

How big is the dragon? Your going to need a bigger tank here real soon- they usually outgrow it by at least 9-12 months-- get your uvb set up you should start to see behavior changes like eating color etc-- when it comes take the fixture and place it in one end or middle of the tank- the screen can be butted up to it so the basking bulb can sit on it next to the UVB- you want distance 6-8 inches directly underneath- this will prevent the mbd from getting worse-- dust his insects w/ calcium D 3 -- let's hope he will gain some use of his back legs

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The last question I have. I just talked to my sister, she said their previous owner almost only fed him crickets and some broccoli. Seems like they havent fed him much veggies at all. Could that be why hes hesitant to eat the veggies im giving? Hes only 5-6 months old. Tried giving him a meal worm and he didnt really care for it either. The previous owner also said that hes a picky eater, but I think he would still want to eat a mealworm or the three veggies we tried? I sprayed him with some water to make sure hes as hydrated as I can make him be.

He did eat a coupe of crickets this morning though, so he should be fine on protein but im worried abt his veggie intake.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- here are a list of websites for insects /worms
https://abdragons.com/
www.dubiaroaches.com see if they have medium super worms --they are great for roaches and usually small hornworms --they grow really fast so order small amounts of them and feed on his salads as well -
www.reptilianarts.com they have nice silk worms -- cups come w/ food and the bulk like 50 you would need to get food-- see if they have medium super worms --
https://symtonbsf.com/ order large DO NOT DUST THEM-- use them as lures to the salad bowl - feed first thing in the morning on top of his salads -- hand feed a few of them then add to the salad in front of him -- you will need a bowl like this for the insects / worms
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/
www.joshsfrogs.com
https://aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/
www.coastalsilkworms.com
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

I have not gotten anything from joshs frogs aafeeders or abdragons-- the others I have Mulberry is the only place I know of that has the butter worms and good buy on horn worms but they grow so fast I dont get the quantity for the price --reptilian arts has real nice silk worms dubia roaches has real nice horn worms they send small usually
If you can get some medium super worms feed on his salads 1-3 -
the silk worms are good for lures as well they stick to everything - they are also a good staple feeder - make sure your dusting those worms / insects 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week only ONCE PER FEEDING if your feeding more than once a day -- he should have salads every day morning preferred let him eat from the salad bowl w/ the BSFL as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies / juvies -- then dust the crickets / dubias are easier to work w/ pull the back legs off the crickets so they cant escape -- if you need help w/ the roaches I can help you there getting them set up -- they have a chart on on the website -- only feed an insect that is NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise ---
I wanted to ask is the dragon pooping? Make sure you rinse the salads before serving he will get moisture thru the salad -- and insects should be gut loaded before feeding - feed them at nite crickets will eat about anything - if your feeding the insects carrots DO NOT FEED the dragon carrots too -- too much Vit A --

bryan torrey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- here are a list of websites for insects /worms
https://abdragons.com/
www.dubiaroaches.com see if they have medium super worms --they are great for roaches and usually small hornworms --they grow really fast so order small amounts of them and feed on his salads as well -
www.reptilianarts.com they have nice silk worms -- cups come w/ food and the bulk like 50 you would need to get food-- see if they have medium super worms --
https://symtonbsf.com/ order large DO NOT DUST THEM-- use them as lures to the salad bowl - feed first thing in the morning on top of his salads -- hand feed a few of them then add to the salad in front of him -- you will need a bowl like this for the insects / worms
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/
www.joshsfrogs.com
https://aafeeder.com/feeder-worms/superworms/
www.coastalsilkworms.com
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

I have not gotten anything from joshs frogs aafeeders or abdragons-- the others I have Mulberry is the only place I know of that has the butter worms and good buy on horn worms but they grow so fast I dont get the quantity for the price --reptilian arts has real nice silk worms dubia roaches has real nice horn worms they send small usually
If you can get some medium super worms feed on his salads 1-3 -
the silk worms are good for lures as well they stick to everything - they are also a good staple feeder - make sure your dusting those worms / insects 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week only ONCE PER FEEDING if your feeding more than once a day -- he should have salads every day morning preferred let him eat from the salad bowl w/ the BSFL as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies / juvies -- then dust the crickets / dubias are easier to work w/ pull the back legs off the crickets so they cant escape -- if you need help w/ the roaches I can help you there getting them set up -- they have a chart on on the website -- only feed an insect that is NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise ---
I wanted to ask is the dragon pooping? Make sure you rinse the salads before serving he will get moisture thru the salad -- and insects should be gut loaded before feeding - feed them at nite crickets will eat about anything - if your feeding the insects carrots DO NOT FEED the dragon carrots too -- too much Vit A --
The crazy thing is the previous owner mentioned feeding him carrots, I dont know exactly because his wife took care of it 99% of the time but thats something he mentioned. Anyways, yes he pooped yesterday a little while after we got him. Not since though, hes only ate a couple of crickets since then so havent been too worried about that. When should I feed him? I heard multiple different answers, some say feed once a day, every other day or 3 times a day. I assume it changes based on its age and how much you feed him. Should I feed him now with what I have?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The crazy thing is the previous owner mentioned feeding him carrots, I dont know exactly because his wife took care of it 99% of the time but thats something he mentioned. Anyways, yes he pooped yesterday a little while after we got him. Not since though, hes only ate a couple of crickets since then so havent been too worried about that. When should I feed him? I heard multiple different answers, some say feed once a day, every other day or 3 times a day. I assume it changes based on its age and how much you feed him. Should I feed him now with what I have?
He is a baby he needs fed everyday-- I just posted all kinds of info for you-- he is growing and this is a critical time for growth- he should have insects 2 times per day and salads those should be fed in the morning - read what I posted and ask if you have more questions please ask w/ the variety of worms insects and worms he should grow especially w/ the good UVB and basking temps- he will eat more crickets than roaches - roaches are more nutritional and more filling

Revels

Bearded Dragon Egg
I wouldn’t hold your breath getting his legs back to normal. I work at a pet store and we got a beardie in who was dealing with MBD for almost 3 years before we got her. After 3 years of proper lighting and care she still hasn’t gotten use of her back two legs yet. I don’t know if your beardies MBD is as developed as hers but that’s just a personal experience I have with it

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi welcome to the forum and hello to your new little rescue. Here is a website for their diet it consists of everything the can eat from veggies and fruit to insects. If he’s under a year old he definitely didn’t get introduced to any proper veggies and may be picky about them so here is a little trick I learned from the rescue chain. When you first give him a salad, make it with mild tasting veggies like squash and sweet potato and some bell peppers for hydration and instead of using a staple green like collard and or dandelion, on the first day give him romaine lettuce, while it is not nutritious it’s not as bitter as his staples greens and won’t deter him from having it ever again. Than on the next day or 2 give him half romaine and half dandelion and collard greens and after that just give him the collard and dandelion greens. If at anytime during this process he rejects his salad take a step back so if the second day he rejects his salad than add more romaine on the third day and slowly work him up to no romaine in his salads. For his mbd like Sadie said there is no guarantee that he’ll be able to use them again like normally it all depends on how severe his mbd is. If it helps I did have a rescue once that couldn’t use his front legs at all and after proper light and lots of calcium he was running circles around me. With your dragon being so young and having tons of growing left to do there i think you should stay positive about the out come but it can take time. Again I can’t promise anything and I don’t want to get your hopes up but many things can be achieved with the correct lighting and supplements. If you like you can send in a picture of him and there are tons of people here that have worked/seen or have beardies with mbd who can definitely help figure out how bad it is. Another thing too if his mbd is severe enough he may not be able to chew food well and that could be deterring him from eating. If this is the case get some organic butternut squash baby food and try syringe feeding it to him. You can also blend it up with some collard greens so it’s even more nutritious for him. And for the vet I would set up an appointment for him, not like an ‘ASAP one’ but like ‘their next available appointment one’. Mainly because they will give you a fecal sample kit to take home to see if he has any parasites which will not only make it hard for him to gain the weight he probably definitely needs but could make his mbd get worse considering all the nutrients you’re feeding him are going to the parasites and not to him. They can also give him a vitamin or calcium injection so he gets an extra boost of those. Hope I was able to help and congratulations on your new family member.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Hi; We rescue and rehome. YES he has MBD; u can reverse and help him or it will lead to death. He needs a REPTISUN 10.0 T5 Long tubular bulb for UVB it’s the best and only recommended one and a Zoomed basking bulb for Heat. The ceramic heat emitter is only used at nite in the winter when he sleeps so temp does not drop below 70. Order the Reptisun asap form Amazon or a specialty reptile store 10.0 T5 and the length should cover 70percent of the tank. This UVB needs replacing every “6” mnths some people don’t know this and Beardie suffers aand gets MBD; the uvb tube light will still turn on but emits little to no uvb after 6Mnths. Get a hideaway also or a hammock with a towel over it and soft blanket underneath so he can get away from uvb as needed but rite now he needs lots of UVB & lots of protein/calcium for his bones. Keep both UVB & the heat lamp on for 12-14 hours more like 14 in the summer and in the winter 10-12 hours; more like 10. At nite No lights only the heat emitter 60watt in the winter, for sleeping. DONOT feed mealworms it impacts them and is horrible. Only feed him crickets and Dubai roaches; he needs lots of proteins; feed 15-20 maybe twice per day then after 6Mnths do the proteins once per day about 15-20 and always/everyday a fresh plate of greens/veggies on the cold side twice daily (Remove/replace as they wilt) the best are mustard greens, dandelions, collard greens, yellow squash Which has lots of calcium, butternut squash and snap peas/green beans and blueberries cut in half 2-3 times a week. Those are the best everyday greens and veggies 3-4 kinds; like 2 kinds of veggies and one kind of green cut up on a reptile dish everyday. Feed him after 2 hours of basking they can only eat when there body is at the warm state & it takes 2hours for Beardies to digest their food so if I feed him let him bask don’t put him to bed or take him out to play till after 2hours has passed. Buy REPCAl from petco they have a food one; sprinkle the calcium lightly on the crickets once per day 5 days a week since he has MBD he needs it or on the veggies sprinkle it low salt on fries or lightly liek a powdered donut. Also buy Herptivite that is a vitamin all Beardies need sprinkle once/fay per week on a noncalcium day. He needs the Reptisun to absorb and breakdown the calcium so get that asap. Baths twice a week for 15min minimum play spa/mediaton music and use reptisafe drops to kill the chlorine in the water. Make sure the temp is 95-97 with a digital themkoter oalce it on his basking platform order one they r like $14place it in the front and a hammock in he back of the hot side and UVB long light in the back beginning at the hot side.

Latest posts