• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie (poop question)

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
I just got a 2ish year old beardie this past Saturday from a neighbor. He's still adjusting but his poop is very odd and I'm wonding if its sonething to be concerned about or just give him more time to settle in. His poop was striaght liquid the first 2 days (other than urates) and now we get a mound of gunk (I believe the urates are mixed that mess when I scoop it out I think I see it coated in there). Its less runny than yesterday even so its heading the right way but I still cant help but worry a bit. He eats great and I would say hes active (nothing to judge my opinion on though since hes my first)

* He is on sand. I plan to change that this weekend but I just didnt want to mess with his house to much yet since hes still not settled.

Ais I a picture of him
9bf2e14f3870eac83158ffd930dbb4ae.jpg
5565d6f62e5372a2b79260dd633dfc87.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, if it hasnt improved over the next few days I would take him to a vet for a fecal test, just to make sure he has no parasites or worms. It would be a good idea to take him for a general checkup regardless, just so you have a baseline for his overall health.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think his body is probably adjusting to the better care he's getting. Like BeardedHippy said, keep an eye on it and see if it improves.

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
I think his body is probably adjusting to the better care he's getting. Like BeardedHippy said, keep an eye on it and see if it improves.
Ok I'll see how it goes today (hes a mid day pooper lol). And go from there. It has definitely improved from the first 2 days i had him and these past 2 it has gotten less watery so hopefully soon it will be back to normal.
I read that stress can cause diarrhea. Could that be true? (I never know if what I read on websites is true especially since getting my torts last year, so much incorrect info when you just Google search things)
Yesterday I attempted a little bath which he was NOT a fan of lol and then in the evening once it quieted down I took him out and when he started to climb off me I let him (I was putting him back prior, keeping outting short). He ran around on the floor and explored for a few minutes and he slept down on the sand which was where he was at when he was brought over the first night (hes been sleeping up in his basking spot since, which is high up in his tank) not sure if that means anything but he definitely seemed to enjoy running around and exploring. He literally would run from one thing to another. Jumped up on a couple things to check them out and ran to something else. (Ive never seen a beardie run, I was cracking up!)
So my hopes are he's settling in. We still have head bobbing and black bearding at stuff (I dont think he cares for my dog lol) but it definitely seems to be lessening each day.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
By the way, what exactly does his diet consist of? and what did his previous owner used to feed him? if he has had a change of diet with you it could be that his digestive system is just having to get used to the change. If he was being fed too many fatty worms, it can cause loose stools, I imagine other stuff does too.
case in point:
https://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/poop-problems-no-parasites.20196/

Marc4

Hatchling Dragon
By the way, what exactly does his diet consist of? and what did his previous owner used to feed him? if he has had a change of diet with you it could be that his digestive system is just having to get used to the change. If he was being fed too many fatty worms, it can cause loose stools, I imagine other stuff does too.
case in point:
https://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/poop-problems-no-parasites.20196/
They said they bought the container of spring mix from our local store so we went amd got that initially but I've been picking out the spinach and not feeding that (they didnt mention doing that but I read spinich isn't good) and I also went and bough collard, dandelion, and turnip greens and I do a mix of stuff (he doesnt like the red lettuce from the spring mix lol) I haven't done any bugs yet but will today and will start doing them more often instead of the once a week they were.

Latest posts