• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie owner

Renee richardson

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just bought an adult beardie. I have a heat lamp and UVB bulb in his tank however he does not like to bask. The people who had him before me did not provide a heat lamp for him they just put the tank by the window. I live in Phoenix so right now it's easily 100 degrees. I like to take him outside so he gets heat and UVB light. My question is, is 30 minutes enough to ensure he gets what he needs. I let him run around inside too until he gets tired:) he's fun to watch

Renee richardson

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Also, he doesn't like crickets. I keep greens for him to eat at all times. Is it too much to feed him super worms every day he'll eat like 10 of them

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He will need a UVB and my adults dont like crickets you can start a dubia colony BY THE WAY WELLCOME TO THE FORUM:D

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ive talked to a few people who hace set ups that allow them to have their beardies outside 6 or 7 hours a day thus eliminating the need for uvb lamps, however, they do not live in extreme temps like in phoenix. i would recommend taking him outside in the a.m. and direct sunlight is not necessarily needed meaning that its ok to take him outside on cloudy days also. their normal cool spot is around 80 to 85 so 100 degree weather can be tricky unless he has a place to retreat to. my adults like their basking spots between 100 and 110 max. keep the heat lamp on and hopefully as fall approaches he'll start using it.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
as an adult, beardies need more veggies and less live prey so veggies every day and supers every 2 to three days and in my opinion no more than ten (or less) at a time depending on his size.

kathann

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just bought a baby beardie yesterday, so there are a lot of things that I need to know.
I keep hearing and reading different opinions...do I need to get a UV Lamp ??
How do you know when to stop feeding them ? The lady at the pet store, said he would eat 12 baby crickets a day, BUT the way he eats, I know he would eat more.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congratulations on your new beardie!
Yes, your dragon is going to need a light source that provides both UVA & UVB. The enclosure you are housing your dragon in needs 2 have a HOT SIDE 95-105 & COLD SIDE 80-85 to help them regulate their temperature. As far as feeding goes, they should eat more than you were told. Babies favor live food over greens & should be fed proteins 2-3 times a day. Feed your dragon until he stops eating and remove uneaten crix, they will bite & try to feed off of your dragon.

kathann

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the helpful info...I really appreciate it. My friend has an 11 year old, but this is a whole new experience for me.
Can't wait to get pics tomorrow....he sat in my hand for the longest time, and then he slowly started to climb towards my shoulder

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are very interactive/social animals when they get used to their owners & surroundings...... Looking 4ward to seeing some pics.

kathann

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I know, that's one of the reasons I wanted one. I have ONLY been around my friends 11 year old since November of last year, and I know how he is when I am around him

Latest posts