• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Beardie Owner: Quick Lighting Equipt Q

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi guys, I’ve never posted in an online forum before and I’m a new beardie owner so please be patient with me if I’ve posted in the wrong place or asking a silly Q (I have tried to find further info online first but been unsuccessful).

I was given a vivarium and some equipment by a friend and have purchased some extra bits that were needed.

I have a beardie born July 2020, we got him Sunday just gone. The viv is 30x18 (I am aware I need to size up and will be doing so soon). Especially as I’ve had a little trouble regulating temperature at the cool end, with a 75w bulb at the hot end. I have digital thermometers each end but no thermostat currently. I am home all day with him so I have been keeping an eye and turning off the heat to regulate it when needed. He seems pretty happy!

The question I wanted to ask on this thread was in regards to the UBV light. I’m not sure what one I have as it was in the viv when given to me. It is 15” and placed centrally at the front. It is connected to an Arcadia controller (model: ACR15 Type C2 Tube: 14/15w 26mm). I would like to purchase a new UVB to ensure it’s efficient as I’m not sure how old this one is or how long it could have been sitting around. Would a Reptisun 10.0 fit this Arcadia controller unit? Or would I have to purchase a specific Arcadia UVB? Also, would it be better for me to get an 18”?

When I size up viv I am happy to buy another longer UVB if needed, I just to ensure my beardie is as happy and healthy as possible in these initial days / weeks before I size up.

Thank you in advance for any help offered

:)

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
depends which controller you have, it will either be a t8 or t5 controller, so If u have a t8 controller you can use any t8 bulb. if it’s a t5 controller you can use any t5 bulb. Sometimes the bulbs tell you which one it is.
if you have a 30inch viv you may as well buy the 24inch bulb

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
depends which controller you have, it will either be a t8 or t5 controller, so If u have a t8 controller you can use any t8 bulb. if it’s a t5 controller you can use any t5 bulb. Sometimes the bulbs tell you which one it is.
if you have a 30inch viv you may as well buy the 24inch bulb
Ok, great - thank you

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, sorry. I switched what was in there for an 18” Reptisun 10.0. Much brighter with a further reach. As soon as I upgrade the viv to a larger one I will also upgrade the UVB to a longer one also.
Beardie is settling in very well, eating well, temperatures are good with a 50W bulb (I tried a 75 and 60 but both were a little hot and throwing off the gradient - I assume this is due to the viv only being 30” wide).

I have a larger viv available to me from a friend but waiting for a convenient day to collect / set up.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have also laid a Travertine tile in the viv, cut to the right size. I read a few forums stating this is a good tile to use and my dad had some available.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Spot on thanks glad to hear any chance we can get a few pics?
Of corse! I will send one when home, please do let me know what you think and if you can spot any immediate changes I may need to make :)

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Will do, personally I use sand to recreate natural habitat but whatever’s best for your beardie
I did purchase a mixed desert sand initially but I read so many negative reviews of sand substrates I decided against it. I do find the tile easy to clean so hopefully this will work well for him!

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
All depends if they eat it. doesn’t digest very well. Mine loves to burrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 13

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
All depends if they eat it. doesn’t digest very well. Mine loves to burrow
Cute!
5E346DE3-94AF-4E18-A66B-2E35C2319666.jpeg

Here is my our little guy. The digital thermometers are on top of the viv (the probes are in the cool end and one on the basking spot). I also have the analogue ones in there but don’t really watch them much. I have a larger basking log but I took it out as I found it was creating lots of shade which he’d lay in.
Any suggestions from looking?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, sorry. I switched what was in there for an 18” Reptisun 10.0. Much brighter with a further reach. As soon as I upgrade the viv to a larger one I will also upgrade the UVB to a longer one also.
Beardie is settling in very well, eating well, temperatures are good with a 50W bulb (I tried a 75 and 60 but both were a little hot and throwing off the gradient - I assume this is due to the viv only being 30” wide).

I have a larger viv available to me from a friend but waiting for a convenient day to collect / set up.
If you upgrade the UVB do not go the same length as the tank -- you do not want your dragon hiding from the rays --- I dont know what size your tank is but I would go half the length of it --

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you upgrade the UVB do not go the same length as the tank -- you do not want your dragon hiding from the rays --- I dont know what size your tank is but I would go half the length of it --

It’s 30” wide and the current UVB is 18”. Centrally placed, at the front of the viv.

Latest posts