• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nervous new beardie parent

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Hey. I feel your pain sweetheart. Bilbo is just a little freaked out right now. He will poop, trust me. I was a basket case when my baby arrived a couple of months ago. He didn't poop for five days! Dragons like to be up high. They feel safe. These guys have been around for thousands of years so I'd say their instincts are spot on. Give him time to acclimate and settle into the newness of it all. You're being bombarded by well meaning advice and it can be a little overwhelming. I would offer greens by hand so he would get used to me opening and closing the enclosure and the sounds it makes. Let him know your hand is a supplier of goodies. I have a great hide but he never uses it. Just relax and take it one day at a time. Talk to him so he gets used to your voice and let him get situated. Enjoy him hon, they are awesome!

TEH

Bearded Dragon Egg
This info is incorrect- the basking temps and correct placement and distance of the uvb is crucial in the overall health and behavior of the dragon - if it is not correct your going to have health issues example a T 8 is not strong enough to go thru screen and distance needs to be closer than a T 5
This is wrong - T8’s are the ones that go on top, and T5’s are the ones that get mounted on the inside. However T8s are old technology, and T5’s are much better for ‘todays world’.
At least here in Australia, but I doubt it would be different.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is wrong - T8’s are the ones that go on top, and T5’s are the ones that get mounted on the inside. However T8s are old technology, and T5’s are much better for ‘todays world’.
At least here in Australia, but I doubt it would be different.

My Fluorescent Bulb is a T8, Now What?

First, without launching into a lengthy explanation regarding the various numbers and letters listed on the bulb, T5 and T8 refer to the circumference of the tube (T5=5 cm and T8=8 cm). T5 technology is newer and better suited for providing high output UVB light that your bearded dragon needs to thrive. T5 lights are stronger and brighter, and are typically mounted on top of the enclosure.

T8 fluorescent tube bulbs must be mounted inside the terrarium to provide proper UVB output, and its lower output means that they must be mounted at the appropriate distance. T8 fluorescent bulbs may perform better in smaller tanks, but in general, T5s are preferred for keeping bearded dragons thriving and healthy.

Another important difference between T5 and T8 bulbs is that T8 bulbs need to be replaced at least every 6 months to maintain proper UVB output while T5 bulbs can last up to one year. While T8 bulbs tend to be cheaper, because of the frequency with which they need to be replaced, T5 bulbs may be more economical.

Having said all this, T8 bulbs have been around for a long time so while they are not as good as T5 bulbs, they can still serve you well if used correctly.

If you feel that T8 bulbs would better suit your bearded dragon setup, these Arcadia and Reptisun bulbs are the best on the market (as far as T8 bulbs go).

Latest posts