• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nervous new beardie parent

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
TLDR- my new juvenile beardie is hanging out between the top of the enclosure background and the lid. Is this normal?

Hey y’all! Today I got my very first beardie! I’ve been wanting one forever and after sleeping on it a lot and doing a whole bunch of research, I got one. He’s a cute little thing and his name is Bilbo Swaggins. He’s been chilling in his tank so far, it’s a 40 gallon. He basked for a little bit and then moved over to the cooler side, but what he’s doing now I’m not sure.

He climbed up the background on the cool side of the tank and he’s wedged between the lid and the top of the background. Since he’s my first, I have no idea what kind of behavior this is. I know he’ll be stressed out at first, and I haven’t handled him since we got him. I don’t plan on handling him for a couple days until he get more accustomed to his new environment. It seems like he has room to get out, but I’m worried he might get trapped up there.

The temps are 95-100 on the hot side and 80-85 on the cool side. I’m pretty sure I’m within the right heat zone, but since he’s near the lamp I’m not sure if he’s too cold or just stressed and hiding. He’s not directly under the light though. He has a cave to hide in, and he’s got food and water. He ate a couple crickets earlier too. As a new beardie parent, it concerns me.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question, but is this normal? I’ve tried looking it up but nothings come up for this specific thing. He was hanging out on the wall earlier climbing, and he’s barely glass surfed. I’m just trying to make sure he’s alright.

Attachments

• DA5D7F1E-64AF-4AC2-8B3A-D0ECA517715C.jpeg
    DA5D7F1E-64AF-4AC2-8B3A-D0ECA517715C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Do you have a hide in the enclosure? You definitely don't want that behavior, he’s too close to the light. How are you measuring your temps and what's your uvb lighting?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
As long as his basking temperature is good, placement is all correct as far as UVB and heating, all should be well.

Just be careful with water bowls. If he doesn't even use it toss it he won't need it if he eats his salads. Most dragons don't drink standing water, and it just makes humidity levels in the tank rise.

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you have a hide in the enclosure? You definitely don't want that behavior, he’s too close to the light. How are you measuring your temps and what's your uvb lighting?
Shoot sorry, scratch the hide part
I have a 26 watt desert uvb and thermometers/hygrometers inside the enclosure. He was chilling out on top of his hide and then just climbed up there. He’s been up there for over an hour.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
I have a 26 watt desert uvb and thermometers/hygrometers inside the enclosure. He was chilling out on top of his hide and then just climbed up there. He’s been up there for over an hour.
Is it the stick on thermometers? You need digital probe thermometers for accurate readings. What brand is your uvb and how far is it from her decor

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
As long as his basking temperature is good, placement is all correct as far as UVB and heating, all should be well.

Just be careful with water bowls. If he doesn't even use it toss it he won't need it if he eats his salads. Most dragons don't drink standing water, and it just makes humidity levels in the tank rise.
I’m going to get a pipette so I can give him water that way to make sure he’s getting it. Then I’ll take the water bowl out, especially if he’s not drinking it. I got him today so I expect some nervousness from him. I’m just worried because he’s been up there for an hour with his eyes closed even though he’s got a hide. I think he’s sleeping because he opened his eyes a little briefly when I walked by. He was basking in the hot side for a bit earlier and he seemed to be acting alright when we first put him in.

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it the stick on thermometers? You need digital probe thermometers for accurate readings. What brand is your uvb and how far is it from her decor
They are stick on thermometers. I have thrive bulbs, the brand from petsmart. It’s the same brand as the decor. If there’s a better brand with better bulbs I’ll listen to any suggestion.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
They are stick on thermometers. I have thrive bulbs, the brand from petsmart. If there’s a better brand with better bulbs I’ll listen to any suggestion.
You're gonna want to get a Zoomed uvb. NO coil bulbs. You need a long linear light that's an appropriate distance from the tank decor

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
You're gonna want to get a Zoomed uvb. NO coil bulbs. You need a long linear light that's an appropriate distance from the tank decor
Will do! It’s a little late so I can grab one tomorrow, I’m hoping he comes down. I just want him to be comfortable, and this worried me a lot. He’s still up there.

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m also not sure how to get him down without picking him up. It hasn’t even been 12 hours and I’m sure he’s not ready to be handled yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Depending on the brand of the 26 watt UVB you may want to get rid of it --- the only brand that I know of that is a good 26 watt coil is a Reptisun and even then I dont like them
here is some info on the 26 watt bulb The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
At this point hes not getting any UVB where the 26 watt is sitting - tbh I would get rid of the coil and get a 24" fixture Zoo Med https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this will come w a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement is different from the bulb you need for your 40 gallon tank you will need to order this bulb a 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 or this fixture Arcadia Pro T 5 https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 12% bulb or this fixture
Sunblaster Nano Tech comes w/ a bulb
depending on your screen will determine placement and distance for the UVB please post if you decide to change the UVB out
Please get two digital probe thermometers https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...rometers/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer and your going to want to get a digital probe hygrometer
https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?variant=21432314265685 place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank
and NO I dont think you want him up where he is at --- that coil UVB needs to be in a reflective dome w/ NO screen and above the basking decor piece 6-8 inches

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
Depending on the brand of the 26 watt UVB you may want to get rid of it --- the only brand that I know of that is a good 26 watt coil is a Reptisun and even then I dont like them
here is some info on the 26 watt bulb The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
At this point hes not getting any UVB where the 26 watt is sitting - tbh I would get rid of the coil and get a 24" fixture Zoo Med https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this will come w a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement is different from the bulb you need for your 40 gallon tank you will need to order this bulb a 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 or this fixture Arcadia Pro T 5 https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 12% bulb or this fixture
Sunblaster Nano Tech comes w/ a bulb
depending on your screen will determine placement and distance for the UVB please post if you decide to change the UVB out
Please get two digital probe thermometers https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...rometers/products/zoo-med-digital-thermometer and your going to want to get a digital probe hygrometer
https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?variant=21432314265685 place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank
and NO I dont think you want him up where he is at --- that coil UVB needs to be in a reflective dome w/ NO screen and above the basking decor piece 6-8 inches
Thank you! I absolutely will look into these. I trust what y’all experienced beardie parents say. I’d hate to mess up his habitat and I want everything to be good. This transitional period of him getting adjusted is making me just as anxious, I already have anxiety but I know once I get a flow going I’ll feel better. I managed to get him down and he’s fine but idk what I’m gonna do when I go to sleep and leave him unattended.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I absolutely will look into these. I trust what y’all experienced beardie parents say. I’d hate to mess up his habitat and I want everything to be good. This transitional period of him getting adjusted is making me just as anxious, I already have anxiety but I know once I get a flow going I’ll feel better. I managed to get him down and he’s fine but idk what I’m gonna do when I go to sleep and leave him unattended.
Correct the UVB you have now so he can start to adjust and get your basking temps correct as well --- those things are the most important things in the tank -- they will help him adjust and will keep him healthy --- they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- he needs time to acclimate to his tank and surroundings but you MUST have his environment correct

juleses

Bearded Dragon Egg
Correct the UVB you have now so he can start to adjust and get your basking temps correct as well --- those things are the most important things in the tank -- they will help him adjust and will keep him healthy --- they control the overall health and behavior of the dragon --- he needs time to acclimate to his tank and surroundings but you MUST have his environment correct
I got new stuff for him and he seems to be doing fine! He hasn’t pooped yet but I’m chalking that up to stress from being in a new home. I’ve only had him for 3 days. He’s eaten crickets since we got him, but I’m not sure if it’s normal for him to not poop. I moved his basking lamp to a better spot and it’s mostly around night time that he goes up there and falls asleep. He’s switched corners and doesn’t sleep directly under the basking lamp. I’m a brand new beardie parent so every little thing is making me wonder.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got new stuff for him and he seems to be doing fine! He hasn’t pooped yet but I’m chalking that up to stress from being in a new home. I’ve only had him for 3 days. He’s eaten crickets since we got him, but I’m not sure if it’s normal for him to not poop. I moved his basking lamp to a better spot and it’s mostly around night time that he goes up there and falls asleep. He’s switched corners and doesn’t sleep directly under the basking lamp. I’m a brand new beardie parent so every little thing is making me wonder.
You want him basking at least 4 hrs per day - did you get your uvb corrected and your basking temps fixed- he's not going to be able to poop w/ out those being correct- what are your temps at nite? Check in the morning before lights on- a stick on is fine for that-

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If temps are too low at night i recommend a ceramic heat emitter. I'm a northern keeper and it helps a lot when temps get below freezing like they are right now. They don't produce any light, just a little extra heat.

Frankiebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
TLDR- my new juvenile beardie is hanging out between the top of the enclosure background and the lid. Is this normal?

Hey y’all! Today I got my very first beardie! I’ve been wanting one forever and after sleeping on it a lot and doing a whole bunch of research, I got one. He’s a cute little thing and his name is Bilbo Swaggins. He’s been chilling in his tank so far, it’s a 40 gallon. He basked for a little bit and then moved over to the cooler side, but what he’s doing now I’m not sure.

He climbed up the background on the cool side of the tank and he’s wedged between the lid and the top of the background. Since he’s my first, I have no idea what kind of behavior this is. I know he’ll be stressed out at first, and I haven’t handled him since we got him. I don’t plan on handling him for a couple days until he get more accustomed to his new environment. It seems like he has room to get out, but I’m worried he might get trapped up there.

The temps are 95-100 on the hot side and 80-85 on the cool side. I’m pretty sure I’m within the right heat zone, but since he’s near the lamp I’m not sure if he’s too cold or just stressed and hiding. He’s not directly under the light though. He has a cave to hide in, and he’s got food and water. He ate a couple crickets earlier too. As a new beardie parent, it concerns me.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question, but is this normal? I’ve tried looking it up but nothings come up for this specific thing. He was hanging out on the wall earlier climbing, and he’s barely glass surfed. I’m just trying to make sure he’s alright.
The light doesn’t matter that much. I have a reptisun light bar and it’s perfect. Just relax. All these people are a little too into specifics. Make sure he has a comfortable hide, both cool and warm, and just let him do his thing, he’s brand new

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The light doesn’t matter that much. I have a reptisun light bar and it’s perfect. Just relax. All these people are a little too into specifics. Make sure he has a comfortable hide, both cool and warm, and just let him do his thing, he’s brand new
This info is incorrect- the basking temps and correct placement and distance of the uvb is crucial in the overall health and behavior of the dragon - if it is not correct your going to have health issues example a T 8 is not strong enough to go thru screen and distance needs to be closer than a T 5