• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Needing a bit of advice please.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I need a bit of advice on one of my girls. Scarface was very small when we got her , she was ment to be 3 months old, but looked about 3 weeks. She always seemed to have trouble with her front legs, she would walk on her wrists rather than her feet, but as she is getting bigger she cant seem to hold her own body weight. She can move about in her viv as she has stones & wood to climb around on, but if we bring her out she just seems to flounder on her tummy. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be causing this as she if a great eater both live & greens, they do get dusted with calcium every feed, she is still very small tho, She is just over a year old but is the size of about a 6 month old.
I will be going to the vet in the next week with Dusty for her check with our vet and will take Scarface with me to see what he says, but was just looking for a little advice in the meantime.
Thanks Guys

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When it comes 2 issues such as these I don't want 2 speculate as 2 what it could be.... 2 little or 2 much calcium, incorrect lighting, previous injury & MBD are all good possibilities but a trip 2 the Vet is def recommended.
Sorry, I couldn't be of any more help. How is Dusty's recovery coming along?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Jeffo. Her lighting is fine, I do personally think it is MBD as she had had trouble since we got her, unfortunately as she was a rescue we dont know the history of the parents so we really dont know what they were like, Will definately be taking her to the vet when I go with Dusty.
Dusty is coming along great, the 'scab' with the staples came off today and it's looking pretty good underneath, will be putting pics on later, just have to transfer them from my phone. Got a pic of Scarface to put on as well.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Jeffo. Her lighting is fine, I do personally think it is MBD as she had had trouble since we got her, unfortunately as she was a rescue we dont know the history of the parents so we really dont know what they were like, Will definately be taking her to the vet when I go with Dusty.
Dusty is coming along great, the 'scab' with the staples came off today and it's looking pretty good underneath, will be putting pics on later, just have to transfer them from my phone. Got a pic of Scarface to put on as well.
Thanx 4 the update on Dusty & I hope u get Scarface's condition figured out & it can be resolved as well.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Off to the vets on Thursday with both Scarface & Dusty, tho I really dont think it is going to be too promising for Scarface - just a gut feeling I have. She is very listless today just sleeping all the time, which is not like her at all, she is in shed, but even then she still usually lively.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Had Scarface at the vet today, and as I thot she has MBD. He has cave me a concoction calcium, Vit D3 and other things I cant remember. She has to get this everyday for a month to see how she gets on. He thinks that it has been caused as she was so small when we got her, going from not getting looked after very well to suddenly getting the food, vit & calcium she needed. He says we didnt to anything wrong as the damage would have already been done before we got her. That was a bit of a relief as I was thinking I had done something wrong, but couldnt understand what as the rest are ok.
Will keep fingers crossed that she makes a recovery.

lisa foster

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When I firt received my yearling tegu he was doing the same thing walking on his elbows. I changed him to whole prey and natural sunlight everyday. I know it is different for what you have to do with a beardie but there is hope it took Chevy about 2-3 months but he now walks on his feet instead of his elbows. I am betting your beardie will get better. Chevy was a year when I got him and it was because of his previous care he is also smaller than other tegus his age but he is starting to go through a big growth spurt and catching up. If it is possible try and take your beardie outside even for just a 1/2 hour it will really help. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Lisa, I do take her out whenever I can, but unfortunately being in Scotland, UK our weather doesnt allow it as often as I would like. This year especially has been a miserable wet summer and Winter is setting in early. I tend to sit them at the window when it's too cold to go out as well which they enjoy as they are very nosy and like to see whats going on lol.
She would always walk on her wrist, even when we first gor her, but as she was able to get around i wasnt too worried, it is only recently as she cant seem to get around that we became worried. Hopefully this concotion from the vet will help, but he says we will notice an improvement in her hind legs before the front so keeping everything crossed.
Thanks for everyones kind words, I love the forum for that as everyone understands how you are feeling, where as family & friends dont quite understand if they dont have any themselves :)

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How does she feel is her tail mushy or solid

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have heard that it can be a neurological problem when soft like that

Latest posts