• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

need some advise from other moms

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How did I miss this one? Yep, we got it going on over here too. I ignore it and give them something to do with their hands.

My hubby, well, he cringes and tells them they will hurt themselves. We got stretching, pulling, pinching, flicking. Just part of being a boy.

Not to change the subject, but do you have a shooter? My oldest likes to shoot his pee. Most of the time it goes in the pot, but there have been times when it flares up and gets me or the wall. Aughhhh!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is still scared of the potty so I don't have this problem yet. He will be 2 on 12/26 so I figured I would start working with him a little more after the new year

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee I know this may sound odd but make potty time a game. Take a cheerio and put it in the pot and tell him to shoot the cherrio. I used this method in the past and worked great

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We tried cheerios but he is still scared of the toilet. I am getting him a little potty. I am going to do the same thing I did with Kenz and first put it in the living room so he sees it is a good thing and then move it to the bathroom with some books. It worked great for Kenz so hoping it works good for him too.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Candice, I've heard of the Cheerio or other targets. He's not at the point of being able to stand. Honestly, he does fine. He just likes to shoot it in the pot while sitting. For the most part, he's great. But every now and then it comes to life and gravity does not win.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor Renee. I know this is coming. Does he use the big toilet or a little potty? if the little potty does that little cup thing on there do anything for the shooting or does it stop the shooting?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No little potty. I didn't want to clean it. ;D
We have a cushy insert in their bathroom toilet and I have one seat in the main bathroom. It has a smaller seat that folds into the lid when an adult wants to use it. Shooting in the main bathroom is usually not an issue. The cushy insert seats don't leave much room for anything.

My youngest was getting the hang of it and now the novelty has worn off. I was hoping to have both out of diapers. Oh well. I'm told not to rush it and they will go when they are ready. The oldest goes about 30% of the time. One day he went all day on the pot. I thought it was done, but then he hasn't done it in a week.

I know. He'll get there.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Jordan has stopped playing with himself. YAY that didn't last long. But he has entered the naked phase. For 2 days now when we are at home he will only wear socks...LOL. It is cute and funny to see him runny around wearing nothing but socks. Good thing when people come over he keeps his cloths on and so far I have been lucky and not had him pee on anything. I have started working with the potty since he wants to be naked but so far no pee in the potty yet

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, it is cute when they realize their body. We used to have naked time before nighty night. They would do 'laps' around the house naked.

Good luck with the potty training. My oldest does great when naked. He just isn't all there yet. Lazy, I guess. But he is strong willed and it is not something I can force. It will have too much of a negative consequence. Alright, I can go on and on and on about potty training. I really thought my youngest would be trained before the other. He really noticed when he had the urge even with a diaper and went on the potty. The past 2 weeks, he wants no part of it.

I keep telling myself that they will not be going to college in diapers and it will come when they are ready.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is frustrating. When kenzie was little she would not poop in her diaper but would pee all day long. She was almost 3 when she finally gave up the diapers. When she decided she was ready she put her panties on and never looked back, she was potty trained in less then a weekend, it was great. Jordan takes the diaper off right after he pees so we are getting there.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, been there. They ask for an immediate change after peeing. We've talked to the pediatrician and there isn't much more we can do. It's a matter of him wanting to do it all the time. Right now, it's routine to go on the pot before nap, during bath and before nighty night. The other week, he asked to go all day. He didn't pee in his pull up once! I was like, this is it. But the next day, he wanted no parts of it. It is very frustrating.

My friends' daughter was about 3 1/2 before she finally decided to go for it. She constipated herself so much that she had to go on special meds and no potty training for about 3 months.

So, just like you said, when they are ready, they will do it. It is just so frustrating cuz I know he can do it. I want to say good bye to the expense of diapers.

Latest posts