• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help!- New Bearded Dragon (baby)

mckenna_coveny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys! I just got my new baby bearded dragon around 4 or 5 days ago and his name is Blaze. He has only eaten about 2 worms since he has gotten here. I am Texas and it is very cold. They have no crickets anywhere and almost everything is shut down due to our inability to handle ice and snow lol. I am worried that Blaze has only eaten a few worms and nothing else. On top of this, my only UVB bulb broke yesterday morning and all the PetSmarts are closed! So now I am worried he isn't eating enough, he doesn't have any UVB light, and I am having trouble getting his tank to the correct temperature. Any tips??

mckenna_coveny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you send a picture of blaze as well as his set up.

image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys! I just got my new baby bearded dragon around 4 or 5 days ago and his name is Blaze. He has only eaten about 2 worms since he has gotten here. I am Texas and it is very cold. They have no crickets anywhere and almost everything is shut down due to our inability to handle ice and snow lol. I am worried that Blaze has only eaten a few worms and nothing else. On top of this, my only UVB bulb broke yesterday morning and all the PetSmarts are closed! So now I am worried he isn't eating enough, he doesn't have any UVB light, and I am having trouble getting his tank to the correct temperature. Any tips??

Are you using a coil UVB? If so you need to replace it anyway-- please go here and order https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
If your tank is a 40+ gallon tank you need the 24" fixture - it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you can hang onto it for a back up placement and distance for this bulb will be different than the one you will need to order for your tank now
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html please get the 22" bulb -- this place is very good they ship fast and it will come Fed Ex
They also have bulk feeder crickets --- look under feeders -
Please go here and order some dubia roaches they ship out fast as well they are out of MO
www.dubiaroches.com it is best to order bigger amounts you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed dubia food and carrots or squash for hydration
I am assuming your mail is running -- have the insects held at the post office and you go pick them up in the meantime try and find some Repeshy grub pie https://www.google.com/search?q=rep...9i57j0i13l9.6591j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
look for some w/ more protein in it since hes a baby --
How are you taking basking temps? You need a digital probe thermometer --you can get some hand warmers and place in a small cat carrier or plastic tote make sure you put something over them as they get really hot and you dont want to burn him - like a dish towels or small baby blanket -- you want the digital probe thermometer in there so you can keep track of the temp -- some of them last for 6 hrs --- but you need the UVB as soon as possible -- do you have any power? Are you using a MVB?

mckenna_coveny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you using a coil UVB? If so you need to replace it anyway-- please go here and order https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
If your tank is a 40+ gallon tank you need the 24" fixture - it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you can hang onto it for a back up placement and distance for this bulb will be different than the one you will need to order for your tank now
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html please get the 22" bulb -- this place is very good they ship fast and it will come Fed Ex
Please go here and order some dubia roaches they ship out fast as well they are out of MO
www.dubiaroches.com it is best to order bigger amounts you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed dubia food and carrots or squash for hydration
I am assuming your mail is running -- have the insects held at the post office and you go pick them up in the meantime try and find some Repeshy grub pie https://www.google.com/search?q=rep...9i57j0i13l9.6591j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
How are you taking basking temps? You need a digital probe thermometer --you can get some hand warmers and place in a small cat carrier or plastic tote make sure you put something over them as they get really hot and you dont want to burn him - like a dish towels or small baby blanket -- you want the digital probe thermometer in there so you can keep track of the temp -- some of them last for 6 hrs --- but you need the UVB as soon as possible -- do you have any power? Are you using a MVB?

Thank you, this is very helpful. Thankfully I have power and I am working on getting that uvb ASAP

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, this is very helpful. Thankfully I have power and I am working on getting that uvb ASAP
Ok well try and get some feeders as well -- please do not rely on the petstores for feeders -- they are expensive and its cheaper to get them on line -- let me know when the UVB comes in I will help you place it it in the tank - they require certain distance and placement

mckenna_coveny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok well try and get some feeders as well -- please do not rely on the petstores for feeders -- they are expensive and its cheaper to get them on line -- let me know when the UVB comes in I will help you place it it in the tank - they require certain distance and placement
Ok, thank you!

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
I hope those pictures aren't too blurry, let me know if you need any more.
Sadie's info is solid. If you can get your hands on Dubia Roaches my little dragon is devouring hers and growing quick as a weed. I opted to just keep a few colonies so we are self sufficient. I had help from a neighbor with a ton of roaches. When they are babies it's important to keep them hot no less than 84 degrees if ya want to avoid Respiratory infections hot and dry seems to be the winner when they're young.

mckenna_coveny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sadie's info is solid. If you can get your hands on Dubia Roaches my little dragon is devouring hers and growing quick as a weed. I opted to just keep a few colonies so we are self sufficient. I had help from a neighbor with a ton of roaches. When they are babies it's important to keep them hot no less than 84 degrees if ya want to avoid Respiratory infections hot and dry seems to be the winner when they're young.
Ok, thank you! I appreciate it!

mckenna_coveny

Bearded Dragon Egg
Th
Thankfully I have gotten the UVB bulb and he seems to be moving around a lot. He still has little to no appetite so someone recommended to feed him with a syringe if that doesn't get better. I am going to go to PetSmart later today to get that, and I am going to be ordering dubia roaches and crickets to get here soon. Any ideas on getting him to eat until then? (The picture attached are the foods I have already bought when I first got him)
IMG_1572.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, do you know what kind of greens are best? (Sorry in advance I am very new to this)
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder --- please do not feed the dried canned jarred food - it dries them out and its not really good food to feed -- there are better choices to feed like fresh I posted the nutrition website --- feeding live insects and worms are best as well ---
So you got the UVB -- distance and placement is key here if you need help please ask

mckenna_coveny

Bearded Dragon Egg
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder --- please do not feed the dried canned jarred food - it dries them out and its not really good food to feed -- there are better choices to feed like fresh I posted the nutrition website --- feeding live insects and worms are best as well ---
So you got the UVB -- distance and placement is key here if you need help please ask
Ok, perfect. Thank you. Right now Blaze is doing very well. He is moving around alot, and enjoying lots of water. Feeding him is still a problem, but I will definitely try. How do you feel about feeding a young beardie live mealworms?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, perfect. Thank you. Right now Blaze is doing very well. He is moving around alot, and enjoying lots of water. Feeding him is still a problem, but I will definitely try. How do you feel about feeding a young beardie live mealworms?
Please no meal worms the exoskeleton on them is too harsh on babies stomachs- you can feed small supers small horn worms and butter worms and another staple feeder is BSFL- also known as nutri grubs calci worms and Phoenix worms- do not dust them - the super worms only feed 1-3 every couple of days- horn worms grow really fast so you would need to feed them before they out grow him they are a hydrating worm- butter worms are a good treat - but hard to find and they are spendy- mulberryfarms has them