• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My poor baby is stressed and so am I

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
Was this vet a reptile vet?? At the most I could see them de-worming your little one as most dragons have parasites most likely pinworms..Make sure you start giving your little one some probiotics (culturel for kids make sure no coloring or added sugar. it's a powder you can mix some in with the baby food) meds are harsh on their GI systems.. What you can do is blend up (with something like magic bullet of sorts) blend up some collard greens/turnip greens/ dandelion greens add in some pure coconut water (no added sugars..) then you can (gross I know..) some bugs that your feeding..blend it up really good and syringe that... that way this is more nutritious and what it would be eating anyways..
Really make sure your temps are spot on maybe even a couple degree's hotter..as the temps will make a world of difference.
Oh I have a question. How do I get it hotter in the tank. Am I just going to have to buy a higher wattage bulb?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Oh I have a question. How do I get it hotter in the tank. Am I just going to have to buy a higher wattage bulb?
can you send us a picture of your setup and the temps of the basking, ambient warm side temps, ambient cool side temps, and humidity? (this is where tapatalk comes in handy cause you can post pictures from your phone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
can you send us a picture of your setup and the temps of the basking, ambient warm side temps, ambient cool side temps, and humidity? (this is where tapatalk comes in handy cause you can post pictures from your phone)

The humidity is between 30-40 and the cool side is always around 85 the basking area is around 105 but it does take a while for the basking area to get that high. I don't know if that's normal but I don't know of ways to get it hotter quicker.

Attachments

• IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 21

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
The humidity is between 30-40 and the cool side is always around 85 the basking area is around 105 but it does take a while for the basking area to get that high. I don't know if that's normal but I don't know of ways to get it hotter quicker.
well having the basking spot that close to the bulb i dont know how much better of a bulb you can get, but id switch from the red bulb to an exo terra intense basking bulb, but youll have to get a low wattage due to how close the basking spot is. there will be a chart on the side of the box that gives a distance from the bulb to what temp itll be

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
well having the basking spot that close to the bulb i dont know how much better of a bulb you can get, but id switch from the red bulb to an exo terra intense basking bulb, but youll have to get a low wattage due to how close the basking spot is. there will be a chart on the side of the box that gives a distance from the bulb to what temp itll be

Yeah someone else told me about switching from red bulbs. But other than that is everything fine?
Oh and one thing I noticed is that he's much more alert and active when he's out of the tank when I give him his food.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah someone else told me about switching from red bulbs. But other than that is everything fine?
Oh and one thing I noticed is that he's much more alert and active when he's out of the tank when I give him his food.
id get a different UVB bulb because i think you have the coil bulbs rather than the tube. this is what id get: Hi. Check out this list: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/SSQWQ08DWUHV

just dont buy it from my wish list cause uh, you need it more than i do [emoji23]

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
id get a different UVB bulb because i think you have the coil bulbs rather than the tube. this is what id get: Hi. Check out this list: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/SSQWQ08DWUHV

just dont buy it from my wish list cause uh, you need it more than i do [emoji23]

Haha actually I have the reptisun mini compact fluorescent tube. The 10.0 UVB. I plan on getting the longer ones that go across the whole tank when I get a bigger tank. When I got it as a gift my sister gave me the coil bulb haha so I had to switch it out right away

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I was thinking about crushing roaches and mixing it with the baby food. I'll find some probiotics to give to my little guy. Thanks for the help.
It works really good when you use a mixer that really pulverized the mixture because of shells. I went to a secondhand store and scored a new magic bullet for $5 bucks..that way i wasnt using something we would then use haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep toy around with different wattages and you can also play with how close your light is just be sure its not within reach

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Get yourself a handheld IR temp gun, those stick on the glass deals really only measure the glass..so temps may be hotter or cooler than you know.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
Get yourself a handheld IR temp gun, those stick on the glass deals really only measure the glass..so temps may be hotter or cooler than you know.

How much do those go for. I've always wanted one but the stick ons were all I could afford at the time

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
It works really good when you use a mixer that really pulverized the mixture because of shells. I went to a secondhand store and scored a new magic bullet for $5 bucks..that way i wasnt using something we would then use haha.

Yeah I actually did that today but was only able to get the guts out and mixed up. The shells stayed the same but that was because I just used a spoon to really crush and mix stuff together

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How much do those go for. I've always wanted one but the stick ons were all I could afford at the time
You can get them on Amazon for under $20 I got mine at Harbor Freight for $15 Best tool ever!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I actually did that today but was only able to get the guts out and mixed up. The shells stayed the same but that was because I just used a spoon to really crush and mix stuff together
Iol.. I understand that one! For quite awhile I used a little mortar and pestle to crush things up..

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
You can get them on Amazon for under $20 I got mine at Harbor Freight for $15 Best tool ever!
Sadly, my bearded dragon passed away today. I'm pretty heartbroken right now. I feel so bad for him. I just buried the little guy in my backyard. He was an awesome pet for the time I had him. I just wish I was able to see him grow big and old and give him the long life he deserved.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I’m sorry for your loss. Sometimes babies just have failure to thrive and there is nothing we can do. Don’t let this discourage you from keeping bearded dragons in the future. People here have given great advise that you can keep in mind for next time.

One thing I was going to mention was the light. A red light during the day looks awful for one, but it also doesn’t allow their pupils to constrict and over time can burn their retinas. At night, the red light disrupts sleep pattern and messes with brain function. The compact fluorescent UVB bulb is okay for a very short time but doesn’t allow the UVB to penetrate deep into the tank where you bearded dragon is sitting. Most people use a T5 UVB bulb, either Reptisun or Arcadia.

If you look in the General discussion forum, there are links for basic dragon care that are real helpful.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
XN
I’m sorry for your loss. Sometimes babies just have failure to thrive and there is nothing we can do. Don’t let this discourage you from keeping bearded dragons in the future. People here have given great advise that you can keep in mind for next time.

One thing I was going to mention was the light. A red light during the day looks awful for one, but it also doesn’t allow their pupils to constrict and over time can burn their retinas. At night, the red light disrupts sleep pattern and messes with brain function. The compact fluorescent UVB bulb is okay for a very short time but doesn’t allow the UVB to penetrate deep into the tank where you bearded dragon is sitting. Most people use a T5 UVB bulb, either Reptisun or Arcadia.

If you look in the General discussion forum, there are links for basic dragon care that are real helpful.
Yeah I really like this forum. It's been a lot of help. I also read that about the red heat lamps. I didn't use any lights during the night though. But if I do get a new one I'll be sure to buy the longer uvb lights and not use a red heat lamp. Thanks for all the help.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
like i stated before earlier in this thread, if you got your beardie at pet smart or petco more than likely thats why this happened. petco and petsmart reptiles are known to be malnourished and probably can come with all sorts of illnesses.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
sorry you lost the little fella, I do hope you try again and dont let the experience put you off. There are some things that are just beyond our control.
In all fairness, if you buy a baby dragon, chances are it hastnt been in the pet store for very long. In the end I think it comes down to the breeder, the pet stores are just guilty of ignorance and money grubbing. Both of mine came from a pet store that gave ALL bad advice, I have never had a single problem with either of them so far. Nurture only goes so far, nature always has the final say.