• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my first bearded dragon... need help with tank setup

pat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hello people.. im new to this forum..

im getting my first bearded dragon in 4 weeks.
i need some help with setting up a tank and i dont no what size tank to get??

was thinking about getting this one, but will it be to big for 1 dragon.

Combo_Ellmau_Beech48.jpg size :
  • Vivarium dimensions = 1220 x 470 x 525mm (LxDxH)
  • Cabinet dimensions = 960 x 326 x 665 mm (LxDxH)..

thanks...

pat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
the dragon will be 9 weeks old when i get him.

thanks for the reply dragonx5..

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
At that age that will be the only viv you will need to get him then, as he will still have plenty of room to roam when fully grown.
Glad to help, thats what we are all here for :)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree, if you get that one, your dragon will grow into it. I would consider removing most of the leaves and things as beardies will try and eat it. Also you don't want him to feel lost.
Make sure that you use papertowel or carpet (i use papertowel cause it's so much easier to clean).

Goodluck and don't be afraid to ask questions.. it's the only way to learn :)

oh and

WELCOME!!!!

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yeah, you can remove most of the leaves, water bowl, paper towel, and try to feed veggies everyday! have fun with him/her :)

pat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
where are you getting your dragon from a pet/reptile store. They will probably try and sell you sand BUT i'd keep away from it at a young age ( well infact i never use sand) as suggested use paper towel for a while easy to clean and if like mine he tried to eat it it wont do him any harm. Make sure you have a water bowl - they dont use it often but they must have fresh water daily just incase.

hi lizardlover. yes im getting the bearded dragon from pet store..

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
baby beardies diet mainly consists of crickets but always offer greens. As they grown it changes to about 80% greens 20% protein. Make sure you use calcium 5 times a week and vitamins 2 times a week.
here is a fantastic food list that's easy to read. http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

Be careful if you buy from a petshop. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about. NEVER use sand ect for babies as they will ingest it when eating crickets and it can cause death. NEVER leave crickets in a viv as they bite beardies.. there are posts here with pictures.
Make sure you have a vet check your beardie for worms and parasites especially if petshop bought.
I bought Yoda from a petshop. Ne was the size of a 7 week old beardie but he was actually 6 months old. They only feed them enough to keep the alive and their health does pay in the end. It's taken me almost 3 months of tender love and care and lots of money on crickets to get Yoda to a proper looking *descent size and weight* healthy dragon. I was lucky that his growth was only slowed and not stunted. If i was to buy another dragon l would definately look here in the for sale forum and buy from a breeder.
Just remember to always ask questions and you can't go wrong.
Good Luck!!

pat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
baby beardies diet mainly consists of crickets but always offer greens. As they grown it changes to about 80% greens 20% protein. Make sure you use calcium 5 times a week and vitamins 2 times a week.
here is a fantastic food list that's easy to read. http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

Be careful if you buy from a petshop. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about. NEVER use sand ect for babies as they will ingest it when eating crickets and it can cause death. NEVER leave crickets in a viv as they bite beardies.. there are posts here with pictures.
Make sure you have a vet check your beardie for worms and parasites especially if petshop bought.
I bought Yoda from a petshop. Ne was the size of a 7 week old beardie but he was actually 6 months old. They only feed them enough to keep the alive and their health does pay in the end. It's taken me almost 3 months of tender love and care and lots of money on crickets to get Yoda to a proper looking *descent size and weight* healthy dragon. I was lucky that his growth was only slowed and not stunted. If i was to buy another dragon l would definately look here in the for sale forum and buy from a breeder.
Just remember to always ask questions and you can't go wrong.
Good Luck!!

hi ajandj.. thanks for the info

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hiya Pat, please be carefull if you are buying your baby from a petstore, especially if it is pets at home as I have witnessed myself they way the treat their dragons and it's not nice, and have heard so may stories from others who bought from them and the babies were ill or died. I would say to take it to your local reptile vet for a wee check when you get it, If you not sure where your nearest vet would be just phone a vet near you and ask if they can recommend one to you as a lot of vets wont deal with the exotics they usually know one who will.
Have fun with your wee guy when you get him and post some pics too :)

pat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hiya Pat, please be carefull if you are buying your baby from a petstore, especially if it is pets at home as I have witnessed myself they way the treat their dragons and it's not nice, and have heard so may stories from others who bought from them and the babies were ill or died. I would say to take it to your local reptile vet for a wee check when you get it, If you not sure where your nearest vet would be just phone a vet near you and ask if they can recommend one to you as a lot of vets wont deal with the exotics they usually know one who will.
Have fun with your wee guy when you get him and post some pics too :)

ok thanks for the info dragonx6 . i was going to get it from pets at home but now i changed my mind.
i will try and find a reptile shop or a breeder near aberdeen..
thanks .

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey pat, you got kids? The only thing l would do (if you have kids) is put a lock on those doors :).
I have a lift up lid on the top of mine, which l have a lock for. My daughter was staying at her grandma's and l went to the shop. My 11 year old thought he would be really clever, he scooped up a heap of salad mix onto his finger and put it in front of yoda. Well, needless to say he got a nasty bite.. and he is the older one and knows better than to go near Yoda if l'm not home. Yoda is now locked in his enclosure, as much for his safety as for the kids. My son is just as likely to "talk" my 4 year old into doing the same thing.

pat

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey pat, you got kids? The only thing l would do (if you have kids) is put a lock on those doors :).
I have a lift up lid on the top of mine, which l have a lock for. My daughter was staying at her grandma's and l went to the shop. My 11 year old thought he would be really clever, he scooped up a heap of salad mix onto his finger and put it in front of yoda. Well, needless to say he got a nasty bite.. and he is the older one and knows better than to go near Yoda if l'm not home. Yoda is now locked in his enclosure, as much for his safety as for the kids. My son is just as likely to "talk" my 4 year old into doing the same thing.

hi. ajandj no i dont have kids. thanks for the info

ps. i have a dog..
DSC00621.JPG

thanks..

Latest posts