• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MITES in the Superworm container - OGM!

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OMG - went to feed supers today and noticed something moving in the meal that wasn't a worm!!! At first, I thought my worms laid eggs and they must've hatched into bearly visable baby worms.......NOPE - after a closer inspection with a jeweler's loop (10 power), I discovered thousands of completely clear tiny mites writhing around in the meal......which probably means they were on the worms I've been feeding recently!!

So now what - What does this mean (other than the obvious = need to get rid of the current supers & their meal, need to disinfect both the worm container and my drangon's viv, yada yada). But what does this mean in terms of possible parasite infestation either on or IN my drangon?

Never knew superworms could have mites! How did this happen? How do I prevent in future?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
not on the worms its a grain mite

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Are U sure they are grain mites? Has this happened 2 U 2? I called my vet (he's tech is a reptile fanatic). The tech said his superworm "house" also gets mites from time-2-time; he didn't say they were grain mites. He said to disinfect the container and my viv. He also said to use double stick tape around the inside rim of the worm container cuz it helps keep the mites from crawling out - COOL TIP! He said to watch my dragon for signs of parasites (no appetite, lethargy, slow bowl, strong odoriferous bowl :eek:, etc).

My dragon does look alittle funny in terms of his skin - he's been turning white around his mouth, ears, cheeks, fingers and underside (tummy 2 tail). I'd assumed he was getting ready to shed but now w/the mite thing - do you think there is any chance this is due to those instead :(??

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are U sure they are grain mites? Has this happened 2 U 2? I called my vet (he's tech is a reptile fanatic). The tech said his superworm "house" also gets mites from time-2-time; he didn't say they were grain mites. He said to disinfect the container and my viv. He also said to use double stick tape around the inside rim of the worm container cuz it helps keep the mites from crawling out - COOL TIP! He said to watch my dragon for signs of parasites (no appetite, lethargy, slow bowl, strong odoriferous bowl :eek:, etc).

My dragon does look alittle funny in terms of his skin - he's been turning white around his mouth, ears, cheeks, fingers and underside (tummy 2 tail). I'd assumed he was getting ready to shed but now w/the mite thing - do you think there is any chance this is due to those instead :(??

He is shedding..what do you feed your worms

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, that's a good question. I have a fairly big container for the worms so when I buy them from the pet store they come in little white tubs w/their own meal which I just dump in the container. Each time I buy more, the whole contents go into the container. I keep about 100 worms in 5 inches of meal at all times. I also feed the worms once a week with a combination of the same salad greens/fruit that I offer my dragon. They really don't eat it - only suck out the water.

Today I went to a different pet store and bought new worms without meal. I put them in a new container with a 1 inch layer of Fluker's High-Calcium Cricket Meal.....this should work, right..??

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, that's a good question. I have a fairly big container for the worms so when I buy them from the pet store they come in little white tubs w/their own meal which I just dump in the container. Each time I buy more, the whole contents go into the container. I keep about 100 worms in 5 inches of meal at all times. I also feed the worms once a week with a combination of the same salad greens/fruit that I offer my dragon. They really don't eat it - only suck out the water.

Today I went to a different pet store and bought new worms without meal. I put them in a new container with a 1 inch layer of Fluker's High-Calcium Cricket Meal.....this should work, right..??

Thats why you have mites to wet only give them carrots with out the wet stuff the mites can't live

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes
Oh - got it, thanks. But wait - aren't carrots wet 2......well, @ least 4 a few hours @ 1st, right? How often should I feed - is once a wk ok?

yes but they don't get the grain wet like fruit they will dry out then give them more