• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Misting vs. Soaking

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
I am wondering if misting is okay by itself? I am afraid to do anything that requires me to pick up Max after his first couple of weeks with me. I think I have traumatized him with all the bedding changes and taking him out to feed him in a seperate container. He is doing so well now I am loath to do anything that might change that.

I just misted him, and he didn't seem ecstatic about it, but he isn't as freaked out as he was when I tried to give him a warm soak last week.

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I mist about 2-3 times a week and I also soak every other week.
I've seen some that love it and some that hate it, but I think if you stick to a routine after a while they'll get used to it and eventually enjoy it.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
We never leave ours alone. We do however bath multiples :/ Warm water up to the armpits is typical wide spread advice.

Giving a guess off of your avatar. Half inch should be plenty.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The water should not go past his/her armpit and should be quite warm. somewhere close to basking temps if you can get it that hot.

My almost-year-old bearded dragon is still not liking bathes but he does like drinking the water!

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
I haven't had an issue with that yet, but I am sure when he and his poop get bigger it will become an issue. I was planing to give him a nice soak tomorrow afternoon.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
If you've had him a few weeks its probably time to start handling. :D I use one of those small plastic tubs, looks like a miniature sterilite tub. It cost $1.97 at Walmart if I remember correctly. He loves it.

Initially he fought me during baths, but I found that if I was persistent he realized they are nice. I scoop him up with one hand and, while I am putting him in the tub, I keep my other hand over his eyes. When I get him in the tub I used to have to keep my hand over his eyes for a few seconds until he relaxed. Then after that I would splash water over him on his back, head, and neck. After a bit I just sit there with him until he's had enough and flys out of the tub. :)

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
If you've had him a few weeks its probably time to start handling. :D I use one of those small plastic tubs, looks like a miniature sterilite tub. It cost $1.97 at Walmart if I remember correctly. He loves it.

Initially he fought me during baths, but I found that if I was persistent he realized they are nice. I scoop him up with one hand and, while I am putting him in the tub, I keep my other hand over his eyes. When I get him in the tub I used to have to keep my hand over his eyes for a few seconds until he relaxed. Then after that I would splash water over him on his back, head, and neck. After a bit I just sit there with him until he's had enough and flys out of the tub. :)
I'm having a lot of trouble with this, because he freaks out if I touch him. He doesn't mind if I am around his tank, if I take the lid off, move things around, even if I approach him with my hand, but the instant I touch him he flips out. I am so afraid of causing him stress, I don't know what do.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm having a lot of trouble with this, because he freaks out if I touch him. He doesn't mind if I am around his tank, if I take the lid off, move things around, even if I approach him with my hand, but the instant I touch him he flips out. I am so afraid of causing him stress, I don't know what do.
You have to pick him up regardless. let him freak out a little, you have to do what is needed to take care of him and if he does not like it then tough crickets.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
You have to pick him up regardless. let him freak out a little, you have to do what is needed to take care of him and if he does not like it then tough crickets.
Okay then, tomorrow he gets soaked. Like it or not. How long after a feeding should I wait?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
When it comes to handling him, use your best judgement if he freaks out like you say. Black beards need to be taken seriously, because while its rare they WILL bite if they feel threatened. You also don't want him hurting himself. Mine started out being incredibly skittish around me, but now he sees my hand as an invitation for interaction. This didn't happen overnight! :)

Approaching him with calm confidence and patience is the key! If you force things it won't help; remember, the goal is to get him to relax around you, and sometimes persistence is the best medicine. But if you are too forceful he won't see the encounter as a positive one. Trust me, eventually he will come around.

Latest posts